"In Through the Out Door" or "The Final Cut" -- Best Final Album(s)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

"In Through the Out Door" or "The Final Cut" -- Best Final Album(s)

Even though Pink Floyd made a couple more albums after Roger Waters departed, most people feel that "The Final Cut" punctuated the magic.  

Any preference between (as per the header)  Led Zeppelin's and Pink Floyd's final albums?

(Is "The Final Cut" more Roger Waters than full Pink Floyd to you?) ?

How about other "bests" in terms of  final albums?    ANY era.  

Also ... another possibility is this:

If there are bands that are still recording, but have lost their magic, in your estimation, name the album that you feel put the puncuation mark on the band, the "final" album that marked the end of your interest in the band.   They were great up until ... ?   

NOTE: Please exclude Abbey Road, for obvious reasons.  :)  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re:

Unfortunately, many final albums are poor, because the bands have reached the end of their creative arcs, or are not functioning well anymore for whatever reason, and that's why there are no albums to follow.  I think that would apply to both of these.  Abbey Road is one of the grand exceptions. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Re:

I thought REM was great up until Green.. I really cant think of one band who's last was their best.. THis is a great topic. Im intereted too hear any

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Re:

The Police Synchronicity. May not be their best, but it's pretty good for a final album

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re:

Nirvana - "In Utero", many consider that their best album

As far as surviving bands ,The Rolling Stones "Some Girls" was their last of many great albums.They've had some good songs of other albums since then,but nothing close to Some Girls or most of their earlier albums.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Unfortunately, many final albums are poor, because the bands have reached the end of their creative arcs, or are not functioning well anymore for whatever reason, and that's why there are no albums to follow.  I think that would apply to both of these.  Abbey Road is one of the grand exceptions. 

Right, agreed.  In fact, I'd be surprised if you think "In Through the Out Door" is a very good album, let alone a great one.  

But how does it rate as a final album?   Fair?   

It is tough ... that's why I asked.  

ALSO, consider bands that didn't plan to end their careers ... therefore, their "final" album was not planned or intended.   Bands that were going along pretty well, had some good albums, made an album and then ... crickets.  

Do the Smiths fit that description?   They did have issues within the band, but they didn't all come to a head until many months after their final album was released (and it was a success). 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Re:

Louder than Bombs to me was by far the Smiths worst

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Re:

This is an interesting topic if you consider artists like Mother Love Bone, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, the Doors, Jimi Hendrix, etc.., all made albums that probably would not have been their last for obvious reasons, but you could make an argument that they were among the bands best. A lot people consider LA Woman by the Doors their best, same for Electric Ladyland, Mojo menmtioned in Utero, and aic's Jar of Flies (original Band).

Edit, after looking it up, I did not realize that Strangeway's was the Smiths final studio album, and I thought it was fine. Agree on Louder than Bombs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re:

In response to polar123's comment:

The Police Synchronicity. May not be their best, but it's pretty good for a final album

Agreed.  That was a strong closer.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re:

There are a two ways to reconcile the meaning of final for albums :  studio and live.   

"Bridge Over Troubled Water" - Simon and Garfunkel's final studio album.  The album did signify the end of their partnership, and darn near perfect, IMO.   

It wasn't their absolute swan song, however, because they reunited and released a few live albums, the last one of which was in 2008.   However, all of those live albums were 'reunion' performances, so it may be fair to consider "Bridge" a final product on their part, since it was their last album of original material.    

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re:

As to the header, I think "In Through The Out Door" blows away "The Final Cut." If you compare ITTOD with Led Zep I, it shows how much LZ evolved in 11 years. It is an excellent album IMO.

To me, "The Final Cut" definitely sounds more like a Roger Waters solo album, rather than a Pink Floyd album.

And if we're going by the Pink Floyd name, I'd take "The Division Bell" on par with ITHOD. I think "The Division Bell" is a very underrated album and is more worth of the Pink Floyd name, even with our Waters, than "The Final Cut."

Just my opinion, however.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re:

About final albums in general, "In Through The Out Door" and "The Division Bell" rank near the top. Whether you want to use "Abbey Road" (last recorded) or "Let It Be" (last released), either one would be right up there with them of course.

Beyond that, I'd have to give it more thought.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re:

The Band - The Last Waltz

They showed what it meant to go out in style (if not entirely amicable).

Pixies - Trompe Le Monde

By no means their best album, but less-than-great Pixies is still better than most.

Pavement - Terror Twilight

Again, not their best, but still pretty damm good.  (They don't come up often around here, but they are one of my top 90s bands. Very Influential.)

Morphine - The Night

Tragically, their last.  But they didn't make any bad albums, IMO.  The promise within this record of what could have been is alternately sad and impressive.

Crowded House (orig.) - Together Alone

Again, they didn't make any bad albums, but there are some great gems in here ("Locked Out", "Distant Sun", "Pineapple Head"...)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re:

In response to yogafriend's comment:

Even though Pink Floyd made a couple more albums after Roger Waters departed, most people feel that "The Final Cut" punctuated the magic.  

Any preference between (as per the header)  Led Zeppelin's and Pink Floyd's final albums?

(Is "The Final Cut" more Roger Waters than full Pink Floyd to you?) ?

How about other "bests" in terms of  final albums?    ANY era.  

Also ... another possibility is this:

If there are bands that are still recording, but have lost their magic, in your estimation, name the album that you feel put the puncuation mark on the band, the "final" album that marked the end of your interest in the band.   They were great up until ... ?   

NOTE: Please exclude Abbey Road, for obvious reasons.  :)  

What obvious reasons? Either way, "Abbey Road" is definitely my pick for best final album.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re:

So many groups have yet to release their final album.

We thought Joe Walsh was done, but 10 years later he releases a new album. Go figure. Then there was Blondie and the Cars who would wait longer than 10 years to release new material. Most people thought Uriah Heep was a 70s band...surprise , they never quit...just changed members for a long stretch before settling on a new lineup that stayed together for a real long time. Bad Company continued for years without Paul Rodgers...the music was pretty good, but they lost their appeal in the 80s by not being an MTV band, or Rap, or New Wave. Traffic reformed 20 years after their (2nd) "final" album....Winwood and Capaldi with two new guys.

Can we really rule out 100% that Pink Floyd members Gilmour and Waters will reunite?....stranger things have happened. Led Zeppelin can't fully reunite, but could release new material under the name Led Zeppelin.

I've got to agree with polar. Synchronicity is probably the best....if the Police don't reunite....stranger things have happened.

That would leave us with Abbey Road....and why should we exlude it?...the Beatles were the best at so many things, why shouldn't they have the honor of the best final album?...half the band is gone, no chance of a reunion here, at least not a real one.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re:

Sorry, folks.

I should have put in my OP, "Exclude Abbey Road because it's a given."  It's certainly a legitimate choice, it's simply that everyone knows.    

Didn't mean to pre-empt it as a choice.  Looking for the less obvious, that's all.     

And we don't know the future, Zilla.  But I didn't ask for predictions of who will reunite and make a new album.

Can we just go with the here and now??   Thanks.  :)   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Re:

1984 Van Halen w/Roth

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re:

Sorry, folks.

I should have put in my OP, "Exclude Abbey Road because it's a given."  It's certainly a legitimate choice, it's simply that everyone knows.    

Didn't mean to pre-empt it as a choice.  Looking for the less obvious, that's all.     

And we don't know the future, Zilla.  But I didn't ask for predictions of who will reunite and make a new album.

Sorry, Yoga, I should have assumed that's what you meant. My bad.

How about "All Shook Down"  by the Replacements. Also "Our Time in Eden" by 10,000 Maniacs (their last with Natalie Merchant).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re:

Sorry, folks.

Sorry to nitpick...but it's a bad habit....I don't smoke or drink so I have to have some vice, right?

I'll team up with polar, and stick with Police/Synchronicity ( because it's an awesome LP)...anyone not agree?

Can't promise I won't nitpick again...bad habits are tough to break.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re:

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

I'll team up with polar, and stick with Police/Synchronicity ( because it's an awesome LP)...anyone not agree?

Probably my least favorite Police album.  Might as well be a Sting solo LP, to me.  Despite its popularity, the band was done after Ghost In The Machine (which may have been a better final)

But I will add:

Talking Heads - Naked

Again, I don't think they made a truly bad album, but this one struck a higher chord than True Stories and is just loaded with funky, complex arrangements and arty coolness.  "Nothing But Flowers" was a big hit and provides a worthy final bow (in radio terms).

But the whole album is still pretty great: "Blind", "Mr. Jones", "Cool Water", "Big Daddy" rank with some of their best tunes. Great guest musicians, too: Johnny Marr, Kirsty McColl, Lenny Pickett, and a slew of horns and percussion.

Though I suppose it couldn't be avoided (still can't), they sadly rate high for me as a band that folded way too soon.  Their respective solo work is still pretty good, but they were much better together, IMO.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re:

I don't care for the Police,so I certainly wouldn't agree.But I can understand why some might think that.

Janis Joplin's "Pearl" was a great final album.Not as good as Abbey Road,but IMHO,better than Synchronicity. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re:

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

Sorry, folks.

Sorry, Yoga, I should have assumed that's what you meant. My bad.

How about "All Shook Down"  by the Replacements. Also "Our Time in Eden" by 10,000 Maniacs (their last with Natalie Merchant).

NO problem at all, Lloyd.      I always like to read your contributions here.     

See, you got put to the test and you came through with a couple of good albums.   :)

10,000 Maniacs' end came when Natalie Merchant moved on.  Talk about heart and soul of a band.   Hard not to compare the new singer, but impossible not to.    Natalie was too tough an act to follow for anyone.    

How about the Bangles' final album?!   Susanna Hoffs?   They lost the magic at the "Everything" mark (early 1990's, I think), possibly final with the original lineup.   I also have their greatest hits.  Anything but the original lineup doesn't cut it.   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re:

In response to newman09's comment:

1984 Van Halen w/Roth

Thanks, Newman.    Are you back?   You've been MIA for quite a while.   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re:

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Sorry to nitpick...but it's a bad habit....I don't smoke or drink so I have to have some vice, right?

Can't promise I won't nitpick again...bad habits are tough to break.

No problem.  I thought it was just a rant, TBH.  I have to use a lot of self-restraint not to nitpick at times, too.   

I have to laugh b/c in my profession, we run rampant with nitpickers; they're like weeds you can't get rid of.   It's a bit of an occupational hazard because accuracy and minute details are the hallmarks and benchmarks or quality work, but there's a line to be drawn at times.  

Frankly, I think the level of nitpicking we do on the Music Forum is pretty damn fine.   

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re:

A nice selection of opinions here, and I can't argue with any of them....The Talking Heads , Naked ...good one, Matty!

yoga, you know I like to rant and quite honestly , many of my rants here and on the Red Sox forum are often just "for fun." I am somewhat of a frustrated writer, who would like to write a novel someday....but I am sure it would be a poor seller, as I have a unique perspective on many things ( "wierd sense of humor" is what my gorgeous lady partner calls it!...she acts like I have some real crazy views, then she can't help but agree with many of them!...maybe love really is blind!).

But, here I go again , straying off topic....sorry!

Anyone think about John Lennon's 'Double Fantasy' as a pretty good last album?...I mean , it's tough 'cause of the Yoko songs....but the Lennon songs are so good.