"In Through the Out Door" or "The Final Cut" -- Best Final Album(s)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re:

I think 50 percent of Double Fantasy is fantastic. "Watching the Wheels" is actually my favorite Lennon solo song. And I used to sing "Beautiful Boy" to my sons when they were little.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Re:

In response to yogafriend's comment:

In response to newman09's comment:

1984 Van Halen w/Roth

Thanks, Newman.    Are you back?   You've been MIA for quite a while.   

Can't say I'll be around like I once was, thanks for noticing Yoga.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Re:

I'll team up with polar, and stick with Police/Synchronicity ( because it's an awesome LP)...anyone not agree?

I agree Zilla. I think it's a good final album. KIng of Pain is one of the better songs the band ever did imho, and I dissagree that it is a Sting vehicle only. The band was as tight, and together on that final album/tour as they had ever been. May not be Regatta De Blanc, but it was close.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re:

In response to royf19's comment:

As to the header, I think "In Through The Out Door" blows away "The Final Cut." If you compare ITTOD with Led Zep I, it shows how much LZ evolved in 11 years. It is an excellent album IMO.

To me, "The Final Cut" definitely sounds more like a Roger Waters solo album, rather than a Pink Floyd album.

And if we're going by the Pink Floyd name, I'd take "The Division Bell" on par with ITHOD. I think "The Division Bell" is a very underrated album and is more worthy of the Pink Floyd name, even with out Waters, than "The Final Cut."

Just my opinion, however.

Thanks for the feedback, Roy.  Well spoken.    Too bad I didn't use "The Division Bell" rather than "The Final Cut" for the initial question, but I wasn't sure if most people really do consider TFC the final album b/c of the fact that it is Waters' last album.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re:

As to the header, I think "In Through The Out Door" blows away "The Final Cut." If you compare ITTOD with Led Zep I, it shows how much LZ evolved in 11 years. It is an excellent album IMO.

To me, "The Final Cut" definitely sounds more like a Roger Waters solo album, rather than a Pink Floyd album.

And if we're going by the Pink Floyd name, I'd take "The Division Bell" on par with ITHOD. I think "The Division Bell" is a very underrated album and is more worthy of the Pink Floyd name, even with out Waters, than "The Final Cut."

Thanks for the feedback, Roy.  Well spoken.    Too bad I didn't use "The Division Bell" rather than "The Final Cut" for the initial question, but I wasn't sure if most people really do consider TFC the final album b/c of the fact that it is Waters' last album.   

Personally I like Roger Waters solo albums, Pink Floyd albums with or without Waters and David Gilmour solo albums. the first David Gilmour solo album is one of my favorites...there are lots of great tracks on that one. 'There's No Way Out Of Here" is an unbelievably great song, never got any airplay for some dumb reason.

When Ritchie Blackmore left Deep Purple (both times) and  when Ozzie left Black Sabbath , I am sure that many wrote both groups off. Tommy Bolin , Steve Morse and Ronnie James Dio (and the others after him) all are respected artists ...people tend to like everything to stay the same. While I continued to listen to Rainbow and Ozzie solo, I didn't abandon the groups they left behind.

Sometimes the breakup of a group can mean more of a good thing. The sum of the parts being greater than the whole.

I think in the case of Waters and Gilmour , the tension between them made working together impossible.

This is a loaded thread, because it is wide open for lots of gray area and speculation. For example, the White Album from the Beatles is MOSTLY a collection of songs that do not feature the whole group but solo excursions from each member....technically a Beatles album , but not every song is a group effort.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re:

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

Even though Pink Floyd made a couple more albums after Roger Waters departed, most people feel that "The Final Cut" punctuated the magic.  

Any preference between (as per the header)  Led Zeppelin's and Pink Floyd's final albums?

(Is "The Final Cut" more Roger Waters than full Pink Floyd to you?) ?

How about other "bests" in terms of  final albums?    ANY era.  

Also ... another possibility is this:

If there are bands that are still recording, but have lost their magic, in your estimation, name the album that you feel put the puncuation mark on the band, the "final" album that marked the end of your interest in the band.   They were great up until ... ?   

NOTE: Please exclude Abbey Road, for obvious reasons.  :)  

What obvious reasons? Either way, "Abbey Road" is definitely my pick for best final album.

Other than due to tragedy, "last" albums are almost universally 3rd rate at best....but more often a lame, tame, "we're only in it for the money" waste of vinyl. Thankfully it's usually just a waste of CDs or electrons these days.

I can't think of a better choice for best last than Abbey Road...but even that's relative i.e. by the Beatles' impossibly high standards it's 2nd rate, but their 2nd rate is better than almost every other band's best effort.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re:

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Personally I like Roger Waters solo albums, Pink Floyd albums with or without Waters and David Gilmour solo albums. the first David Gilmour solo album is one of my favorites...there are lots of great tracks on that one. 'There's No Way Out Of Here" is an unbelievably great song, never got any airplay for some dumb reason.

When Ritchie Blackmore left Deep Purple (both times) and  when Ozzie left Black Sabbath , I am sure that many wrote both groups off. Tommy Bolin , Steve Morse and Ronnie James Dio (and the others after him) all are respected artists ...people tend to like everything to stay the same. While I continued to listen to Rainbow and Ozzie solo, I didn't abandon the groups they left behind.

Sometimes the breakup of a group can mean more of a good thing. The sum of the parts being greater than the whole.

I think in the case of Waters and Gilmour , the tension between them made working together impossible.

This is a loaded thread, because it is wide open for lots of gray area and speculation. For example, the White Album from the Beatles is MOSTLY a collection of songs that do not feature the whole group but solo excursions from each member....technically a Beatles album , but not every song is a group effort.

Well said -- I agree on all points.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re:

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

I've always found the phrase "solo album" frightening and more than a bit sad.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re:

NO problem at all, Lloyd.      I always like to read your contributions here.     

See, you got put to the test and you came through with a couple of good albums.   :)

10,000 Maniacs' end came when Natalie Merchant moved on.  Talk about heart and soul of a band.   Hard not to compare the new singer, but impossible not to.    Natalie was too tough an act to follow for anyone.    

Absolutely.  Good topic for a  later date: Bands who were essentially one person.

11. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts