In what format do you buy your music?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In what format do you buy your music?

Me:

0% - digital

<5% - CD (only when vinyl is unavailable, which is rare in the music I like)

>95% - vinyl

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: In what format do you buy your music?

CD - 90%

Digital - 10%

That ratio is probably going to change.  Digital still doesn't feel quite the same.  But it certainly is more convenient and more flexible, and in some cases cheaper.  I love the fact there's no sales tax in the province of Etherland. :-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

75% dc

25% vinyl

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

45% / 45% / 10%

CD / DD / Vinyl

Supplemented by at least as many digital downloads which are free...mostly bootlegs.

Almost everything is stored in a single 500Gb portable hard drive...with maybe 25% of that uploaded to a cloud server.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

CD's......I still have all my vinyl (turntable and amplifier and speakers too).

Vinyl, a belt driven or direct drive turntable, a moving coil cartridge, good amp and a great set of headphones (AKG K240) or great speakers...sounds better than a CD.....IMHO.

The digital transfer and format of music can be quite harsh on the ears....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

99% CD's. 1% digital.

I do think that vinyl still has a special sound to it, but it's just too much work for an old man like me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to SlimPickensIII's comment:

I'm in the same place as Hfx, mostly CD and headed towards digital.

Two years ago I finally unloaded all my vinyl.  About 5 crates worth,  I brought it to a place across from my old Lowell condo and said take it, all of it.   On paper some of it was probably valuable,  1st edition Who stuff, etc.  A copy of the first Modern Lovers album, given to me by my cousin.  The problem is, I took terrible care of all of it.  Lots of scratches.  It had all been sitting in a basement at one point in time, so there was a vague mildewy smell to it.   Any brochures (Live at Leeds had a ton of junk in it),  long lost. Probably more than one pot seed lurking in creases too.  No idea how those got there though. Cough.

I miss vinyl,  but it was too damn inconvenient to lug around and care for.  It's been so long since I listened to vinyl that I'm not even sure I could tell the difference in sound.  It's very convenient to load up a single CD with 6 hours worth of MP3. 

Nah, Slim, you could tell.  A couple of years ago we had a guest DJ at our club and unbenownst to us she brought her music on an iPod or laptop or something.   Most DJs in our scene would only use 45s and the occasional LP.  After she finished, the next DJ put on a 45 and she went straight up to the sound engineer looking a bit cross and said "what did you do to the sound?"  He replied, truthfully, "Nothing, he's playing vinyl, what did you expect?"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I assume that digital means digital download.

I'm 99% CD.  I've got a couple of things from Itunes that were only availble via download.

For those that prefer digitial, what format?  MP3, FLAC, Apple Lossless?  I think MP3 is OK for earbuds, but I don't think it sounds very good coming through speakers.

I'd be interested in hearing how FLAC and Apple LossLess compare to vinyl.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to DirtyWaterLover's comment:

I assume that digital means digital download.

I'm 99% CD.  I've got a couple of things from Itunes that were only availble via download.

For those that prefer digitial, what format?  MP3, FLAC, Apple Lossless?  I think MP3 is OK for earbuds, but I don't think it sounds very good coming through speakers.

Argh...now I have to choose what format I want when I buy downloads.   

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

I don't have a turntable so I can only speak for Apple lossless, and I find it provides the best overall sound quality. Space is cheap these days, so what do I care that my itunes library is over 100g?

mp3 seems to lack depth, and it can be a lot harder to pick up intricacies - portions of Since I've Been Loving You where Page's pick just barely flicks over the string, for example.

How are you listening to the Apple LossLess files?  Do you have a Digital to Audio Converter?  Are you using the Cambridge Audio iPOD Docking station through a Digital to Audio converter? 

I was considering a DAC.  You can send the sound signal from the TV to the DAC and allow the DAC to convert it to analog.  I think most TVs do a terrible job converting the sound from Digital to the Analog. 

I like the idea of lossless format over Vinyl - I'm too lazy for Vinyl.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

If enough people get back into vinyl, I'm sure they'll come up with a more convenient player for us.  That could be the next product.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

If enough people get back into vinyl, I'm sure they'll come up with a more convenient player for us.  That could be the next product.

The future is now...they already sell USB-interface phonograph players:

http://www.spectrumaudio.com/stanton-t55-usb.html

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

What I'm picturing is a vinyl player that works like a CD player.  You slip the vinyl LP into a tray and the machine does the rest. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

What I'm picturing is a vinyl player that works like a CD player.  You slip the vinyl LP into a tray and the machine does the rest. 

You mean like a Close and Play?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

But here's the problem with a phonograph with a USB connection.  The Phonograph is taking the analog signal from the record and converting it to digital.  It defeats the purpose of the vinyl.  They are really for people with old records that they want to covert to MP3.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

You mean like a Close and Play?

Well, I had to look up Close and Play on Google.  Yes, I guess what I have in mind is a higher-tech Close and Play.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

But here's the problem with a phonograph with a USB connection.  The Phonograph is taking the analog signal from the record and converting it to digital.  It defeats the purpose of the vinyl.  They are really for people with old records that they want to covert to MP3.

That's true, but most I've seen also have standard audio jacks to connect and play through a receiver (which may be analog or digital).

As for the rest, I would have to defer to a pro DJ/audiophile who knows more than I....

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

80% CD

20% Vinyl

Anything off the internet is pirated.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to jesseyeric's comment:

80% CD

20% Vinyl

Anything off the internet is pirated.

Hey, I pay for all my digital downloads now.  And it feels good. :-)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Hf, I would say that the lack of convenience of vinyl is part of its attraction.  The tactile nature of the vinyl itself, the artwork, inserts if made, getting off one's @rse to change the LP or, even more fun, a string of singles to change and - especially - the sound is to me infinitely more satisfying than the radio, double CD or streaming.

I may describe my "Wheelie Bag" sometime, it's one of the great vinyl experiences imaginable, no sh1t.  Every person on the music board is cool, but there are a few creepy, invasive, stalking creeps that could and would track me down from it....I'm not worried about being outed, it's just creepy....

24. This post has been removed.