Is the US Festival (both '82 and '83) the most underrated musical festival?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Is the US Festival (both '82 and '83) the most underrated musical festival?

I caught one of the episodes from the documentary on the US Festival. I remember hearing about it at the time -- I had just graduated from high school -- but didn't know as much about music as I do now. The documentary sparked my interest and I did more research to see who played. I didn't realize there were two festivals.

If I could have gone to any days,  would have gone the second day (Sept. 4) of the first festival, although the third day would have been great too. The other day at work, I listened to Pat Benatar's set from the US Festival on YouTube. It was a great set.

From the second festival, day two (Heavy Metal) and day three (Rock Day) would have been great to attend.

Here is the bill for both events:

Friday, September 3

[edit]Saturday, September 4

[edit]Sunday, September 5

[edit]Memorial Day Weekend, 1983

Three days (plus a fourth Country Day a week later), 670,000 in attendance, $12 million lost,[3] two reported deaths [4][5]

[edit]Saturday, May 28 (New Wave Day)

[edit]Sunday, May 29 (Heavy Metal Day)

[edit]Monday, May 30 (Rock Day)

[edit]Saturday June 4th (Country Day)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Re: Is the US Festival (both '82 and '83) the most underrated musical festival?

Based on the lineups, I would say yes. The shows also came on the heels of Live Aid, and that seems to be the 80's festival that most people remember. I've seen bits and pieces of it on tv, but I had no clue as to level of talent that played both shows. Sunday, September 5, and Monday, May 30, are unreal.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

I don't think I could do a music festival over several days and I love music.  The closest I ever came to a festival was the one day Texas Jam. I think it started at 10am and ended around 10 or 11pm...

Dallas-June 12, 1982

• Journey
    • Santana
    • Sammy Hagar
    • Joan Jett
    • Point Blank

I remember the heat reaching triple digits and Joan Jett passing out. You can't wear a leather outfit in 100+ degree heat...lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Would have liked to have seen both  Fridays from the US festival

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to SlimPickensIII's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hmmm,  I remember asking my cousin if he could get me Jerry Garcia's autograph while they were out there.  Of course I didn't get it.  I do remember him raving about John Denver though, said he was far better than he ever expected.    I don't see him on your list.  Am I thinking of the wrong festival?  This was the thing one of those Apple guys sponsored,  no?

I would have found something to love on every single day of both those though.  I suspect I wouldn't have moved even to pee on the New Wave Day. 

[/QUOTE]

Yeah this was t he music and technology festival -- the tech tents were popular if for now other reason they had AC -- that Steve Wozniak put together.

Sections
Shortcuts