Is there a difference between Rock and Rock 'n Roll?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Is there a difference between Rock and Rock 'n Roll?

What do you think y'all? I'm just posing the question for now, but I promise I'll post my thoughts later. Mostly I want to hear what others think for now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Re: Is there a difference between Rock and Rock 'n Roll?

I think Rock came from Rock 'n Roll. I think Rock 'n Roll is Elvis and all those guys, but Rock is '70s and up. Just my guess.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Is there a difference between Rock and Rock 'n Roll?:
    I think Rock came from Rock 'n Roll. I think Rock 'n Roll is Elvis and all those guys, but rock is '70s and up. Just my guess.
    Posted by NumbaFouwer
    Rock 'n Roll is a lot more than Elvis. It's Chuck Berry and Bill Monroe and Little Richard and Bo Diddley and Frankie Lymon and Carl Perkins and Jerry Lee Lewis and Johnny Cash. But I promised I would keep my mouth shut for a while, so this is me zipping my lip on this subject for a couple of days.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Rock and Roll had a basic component to it - the kids could dance to the music. Rock was music was for pure listening pleasure. There was no dancing to Hey Joe, White Room, Whole Lotta Love or Iron Man. Well, you get my point.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Nice way to sum it up, jessey.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The term "rock and roll" was an old blues slang used instead of "intercourse" or any of the other common four letter words for having sex.

How it got to be the name of a style of music is probably a longer story than we all have time for, but that's where the term originates.

The music press likely are responsible for shortening to 'rock'n roll' and eventually to 'rock.'

As far as I am concerned it's all the same thing. Although I think many people may try to analyze it and come up with technical differences.

What I don't like is when all popular music gets categorized as "Rock" , like Michael Jackson, Madonna, Cher and various others. This to me is not "Rock", "Rock and Roll" or "Rock'n Roll" or any such thing.

We could also get into the difference between Rock 'n Roll and "Rockabilly" which is very subtle...but really not that different.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I just saw what i thought was a very good movie.

Pirate Rock

it is worth a watch.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I just saw what i thought was a very good movie. Pirate Rock it is worth a watch.
    Posted by jesseyeric

I guess with the Yanks season over , you have more time for movies now?

I've been getting reacquainted with my DVD player alot now too.

But, back to the subject at hand.

Bob Seger called it 'old time Rock'n Roll.'

Billy Joel said , "It's still Rock 'n Roll to me"

In the Rainbow song, Ronnie James Dio sings, "If you don't like Rock'n Roll, it's too late , too late  now."

Foghat had an LP and song titled 'Rock 'n Roll Outlaws."

These songs all are from the 70's, the term Rock 'n Roll was still being used to refer to many songs labeled under "Classic Rock" , I think 'Rock' really was just an abbreviatted term the same as Popular music got shortened to "Pop music"...a general term that assumes it is "popular" with everyone. Another general term is "Alternative" which we've covered before, but as a name it failed to convey the true meaning of what the music is, because we are aften left wondering to what it is an "alternative."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

OK, I promised my thoughts on this a long time ago, and probably by now no one cares. And if you do you probably shouldn't.  In my opinion Rock 'n Roll owes a very deep debt of gratitude to country that was lost with the Beatles. I can hear the scoffing already. Think about it though. Len Chess was iffy about recording Chuck because he thought he was too country. Why was he too country? If you listen closely to Chuck, you can hear a lot of Bill Monroe. And like him or hate him, Bill Monroe was a revolutionary figure in music. Also, Sun Records was one of the pioneering labels in the music that changed the world. Look at who was on that label. Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, BB King, Jackie Brenston. Sam Phillips was the Red Auerbach of music. He didn't care what color you were, as long as your records sold. So, what I figure is that the difference between Rock and Roll and Rock is is country. After the Beatles rock and roll lost it's country, which is what made it roll. What do you think jessey? Zilla?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

There is no doubt that influence from Country music seeped into RnR. But just before RnR appeared on the stage, I believe Country was going through it's only little genetical change. Getting a bit more edgier so to speak.

I think we should ask Babe and SPC what they think Tongue out

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I think we should ask Babe and SPC what they think
    Posted by jesseyeric
    That would be interesting. I'd pay top dollar to see a cage match with babe and spc.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

OK, I promised my thoughts on this a long time ago, and probably by now no one cares. And if you do you probably shouldn't.  In my opinion Rock 'n Roll owes a very deep debt of gratitude to country that was lost with the Beatles. I can hear the scoffing already. Think about it though. Len Chess was iffy about recording Chuck because he thought he was too country. Why was he too country? If you listen closely to Chuck, you can hear a lot of Bill Monroe. And like him or hate him, Bill Monroe was a revolutionary figure in music. Also, Sun Records was one of the pioneering labels in the music that changed the world. Look at who was on that label. Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, BB King, Jackie Brenston. Sam Phillips was the Red Auerbach of music. He didn't care what color you were, as long as your records sold. So, what I figure is that the difference between Rock and Roll and Rock is is country. After the Beatles rock and roll lost it's country, which is what made it roll. What do you think jessey? Zilla?
    Posted by carnie

In the early days of the Beatles the rock and roll and country was all still there wouldn't you say?  I thought they showed their debts to Chuck Berry and Carl Perkins, most obviously with the cover songs... 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Is there a difference between Rock and Rock 'n Roll? : In the early days of the Beatles the rock and roll and country was all still there wouldn't you say?  I thought they showed their debts to Chuck Berry and Carl Perkins, most obviously with the cover songs... 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

That's very true. The Beatles had a lot of country in them. I've just seen a face has been covered by more bluegrass bands than I can count. The Beatles were so influential in the evolution of rock music though, that I think a lot of people stopped listening to the roots music (blues & country) after the beatles exploded onto the scene.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Is there a difference between Rock and Rock 'n Roll? : That's very true. The Beatles had a lot of country in them. I've just seen a face has been covered by more bluegrass bands than I can count. The Beatles were so influential in the evolution of rock music though, that I think a lot of people stopped listening to the roots music (blues & country) after the beatles exploded onto the scene.
    Posted by carnie

Other Beatles songs that have a country feel:

Rocky Raccoon
    Don't Pass Me By

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Is there a difference between Rock and Rock 'n Roll? : Other Beatles songs that have a country feel: Rocky Raccoon Don't Pass Me By
    Posted by ZILLAGOD
    The Beatles were brilliant. I think they were an evolutionary turning point in the history of popular music.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Is there a difference between Rock and Rock 'n Roll? : The Beatles were brilliant. I think they were an evolutionary turning point in the history of popular music.
    Posted by carnie

If you say this and anyone ever argues that you are wrong, simply get up and leave the room.

You will not want any further contact with any species that doesn't recognize that the Beatles are to Rock music what Jesus is to Christianity...what Clint Eastwood is to spaghetti westerns...what George Carlin is to stand up comedy....what Ted Williams was to hitting....what Star Trek is to science fiction T.V...etc.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Is there a difference between Rock and Rock 'n Roll? : If you say this and anyone ever argues that you are wrong, simply get up and leave the room. You will not want any further contact with any species that doesn't recognize that the Beatles are to Rock music what Jesus is to Christianity...what Clint Eastwood is to spaghetti westerns...what George Carlin is to stand up comedy....what Ted Williams was to hitting....what Star Trek is to science fiction T.V...etc.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

I agree with you 100% Zilla. My point though, was that rock is fundamentally different than rock ' roll. So much so that we now call rock 'n roll rockabilly. BTW is Bill Monroe in the rock 'n roll hall of fame? Because if he isn't he should be. Hank Williams too. But I'm probably showing my country a little too much so I'll shut up.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Is there a difference between Rock and Rock 'n Roll? : I agree with you 100% Zilla. My point though, was that rock is fundamentally different than rock ' roll. So much so that we now call rock 'n roll rocka billy . BTW is Bill Monroe in the rock 'n roll hall of fame? Because if he isn't he should be. Hank Williams too. But I'm probably showing my country a little too much so I'll shut up.
    Posted by carnie

I don't know Bill Monroe but I agree about Hank Williams.  Johnny Horton also had some classics, like Sink the Bismarck and North to Alaska.  Those songs got heavy airplay in my house when I was growing up.

Ever hear any of Joe Ely's stuff?  I have a bunch of his albums.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Is there a difference between Rock and Rock 'n Roll? : I don't know Bill Monroe but I agree about Hank Williams.  Johnny Horton also had some classics, like Sink the Bismarck and North to Alaska.  Those songs got heavy airplay in my house when I was growing up. Ever hear any of Joe Ely's stuff?  I have a bunch of his albums.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut
    We must be related. I know I've heard of Joe Ely. Was he in a band? And you really would love Bill Monroe I bet. Here's a link to a great article about him http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Monroe. Lots of people play his songs. Elvis' first number one hit was a Bill Monroe tune. Kentucky Waltz, although Bill always played it in 3/4 before Elvis had his hit. Plus I'm convinced that Chuck Berry at least listened to Bill Monroe. You can really hear it in his double and triple stop stuff.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Is there a difference between Rock and Rock 'n Roll? : We must be related. I know I've heard of Joe Ely. Was he in a band? And you really would love Bill Monroe I bet. Here's a link to a great article about him http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Monroe . Lots of people play his songs. Elvis' first number one hit was a Bill Monroe tune. Kentucky Waltz, although Bill always played it in 3/4 before Elvis had his hit. Plus I'm convinced that Chuck Berry at least listened to Bill Monroe. You can really hear it in his double and triple stop stuff.
    Posted by carnie

Good read there on Bill Monroe.

Joe Ely is an amazingly talented guy from Texas...his music travels the spectrum through country, rock, folk and Tex-Mex.  He always has a top-notch band behind him.  Pretty hard to describe because he's so versatile.  He can do some of the most feverishly fast rockers and some of the slowest, saddest western ballads you've ever heard.  In his early days he toured with The Clash.  Check out a couple of his videos on You Tube.  He is a real original. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Is there a difference between Rock and Rock 'n Roll? : Good read there on Bill Monroe. Joe Ely is an amazingly talented guy from Texas...his music travels the spectrum through country, rock, folk and Tex-Mex.  He always has a top-notch band behind him.  Pretty hard to describe because he's so versatile.  He can do some of the most feverishly fast rockers and some of the slowest, saddest western ballads you've ever heard.  In his early days he toured with The Clash.  Check out a couple of his videos on You Tube.  He is a real original. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut
    Is jore ely from eastern canada? Because rhat guy rocks. I don't think anyone could rock like that if they weren't cajun.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Is there a difference between Rock and Rock 'n Roll? : Is jore ely from eastern canada? Because rhat guy rocks. I don't think anyone could rock like that if they weren't cajun.
    Posted by carnie

Joe is awesome, he really is.  Check out the old video on YouTube 'Musta Notta Gotta Lotta' from the Old Grey Whistle Test show.  But we can't claim him here, he's from Lubbock, Texas.

Sections
Shortcuts