Is there a song or songs that YOU think have a relatively "universal" appeal?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

Re: Is there a song or songs that YOU think have a relatively "universal" appeal?

Not only do I think Bohemian Rhapsody has universal appeal. It is one of the best songs ever written IMO. Maggie Mae is a very good song as well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Is there a song or songs that YOU think have a relatively "universal" appeal?

King of the road is just about the best country song I've ever heard.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I think there are a number of songs that have such an appeal. I believe they use the term 'standard' when describing such songs. They have become so ingrained into our culture that they have become a natural part of our lives.

Zilla makes a good point with Sweet Home Alabama as a song which you would not think to be that universally known, and then you realize that everyone knows it, from a 60 Y.O. to a mere tyke. These songs seem to cross all barriers and time warps. And it is not just in the song (melody and lyrics) itself, but the whole presentation of the song. And in the case of SHA - you have acts which came out 25 years later (Kid Rock) singing about this same song. It wasn't a remake - it was more of a salute. Kids hear that and go searching for its inspiration.

Look at what happened with Bohemian Rhapsody and the Wayne's World movie. Great songs always find their way back into our lives. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I believe that a number of the songs from the Motown era also fall into the "universal appeal" category.

Backstabbers by the O'Jays

Tears of a Clown by Smoky Robinson and the Miracles

You Keep Me Hangin' On by  the Supremes

Many of the songs of Sly Stone, the 4 tops,Temptations, Gladys Knight and the Pips also would fall into this category.

How about "Stray Cat Strut" by the Stray Cats??? Ever hear anyone say "I hate this song!"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Is there a song or songs that YOU think have a relatively "universal" appeal?:
    I believe that a number of the songs from the Motown era also fall into the "universal appeal" category. Backstabbers by the O'Jays Tears of a Clown by Smoky Robinson and the Miracles You Keep Me Hangin' On by  the Supremes Many of the songs of Sly Stone, the 4 tops,Temptations, Gladys Knight and the Pips also would fall into this category. How about "Stray Cat Strut" by the Stray Cats??? Ever hear anyone say "I hate this song!"
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Can't disagree with you about Motown. Perhaps Motown should have its own thread.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Is there a song or songs that YOU think have a relatively "universal" appeal?:
    I believe that a number of the songs from the Motown era also fall into the "universal appeal" category. Backstabbers by the O'Jays Tears of a Clown by Smoky Robinson and the Miracles You Keep Me Hangin' On by  the Supremes Many of the songs of Sly Stone, the 4 tops,Temptations, Gladys Knight and the Pips also would fall into this category. How about "Stray Cat Strut" by the Stray Cats??? Ever hear anyone say "I hate this song!"
    Posted by ZILLAGOD
    Brian Setzer may be the best guitar player I've ever seen. That guy can really play. And he can play it all too.That being said I don't want to hijack the thread, so I'll ask everyone this. Should the stray cats have paid royalties to Ray Charles for Stray Cat Strut? Which brings me back to the topic of songs with universal appeal. Hit the Road Jack belongs on that list.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

"Imagine" by John Lennon would be my choice.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

"Imagine" by John Lennon would be my choice.
    Posted by NumbaFouwer
    Imagine is good. And it might be Lennon's best.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Is there a song or songs that YOU think have a relatively "universal" appeal? : Brian Setzer may be the best guitar player I've ever seen. That guy can really play. And he can play it all too.That being said I don't want to hijack the thread, so I'll ask everyone this. Should the stray cats have paid royalties to Ray Charles for Stray Cat Strut? Which brings me back to the topic of songs with universal appeal. Hit the Road Jack belongs on that list.
    Posted by carnie

Feel free to hi-jack a thread of mine at any time.

Especially when you want to talk about "cool cats" like Ray Charles or Brian Setzer.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Is there a song or songs that YOU think have a relatively "universal" appeal? : Feel free to hi-jack a thread of mine at any time. Especially when you want to talk about "cool cats" like Ray Charles or Brian Setzer.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD
    Thanks zilla, you honor me.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Is there a song or songs that YOU think have a relatively "universal" appeal? : Thanks zilla, you honor me.
    Posted by carnie

I am happy to have people on this music board that have good taste, so the pleasure is mine.

Keep up the good work!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

So let me run this by you zilla. What would you think of a who invented rock and roll thread? I of course would nominate Bill Monroe. Who would you nominate?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I just saw a bunch of Simon and Garfunkel songs in the word thread, and it got me to thinking that as far as universal appeal goes, Simon and Garfunkel have got it.  So many of their songs are well known, and have cross appeal to all demographics by age and gender.  Timeless and classic, and that includes songs that have context and references to the time / era they were written.  Their songs are still standards for people taking piano and guitar lessons, too.    

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I just saw a bunch of Simon and Garfunkel songs in the word thread, and it got me to thinking that as far as universal appeal goes, Simon and Garfunkel have got it.  So many of their songs are well known, and have cross appeal to all demographics by age and gender.  Timeless and classic, and that includes songs that have context and references to the time / era they were written.  Their songs are still standards for people taking piano and guitar lessons, too.    
    Posted by yogafriend

Agreed.  I think Paul Simon is one of the greatest songwriters ever, period.  Sounds of Silence holds up as one of the great social commentaries of our time.  I got chills when they performed it at the R & R HOF concert.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

So let me run this by you zilla. What would you think of a who invented rock and roll thread? I of course would nominate Bill Monroe. Who would you nominate?
    Posted by carnie

I think Rock'nRoll kind of invented itself.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I am pretty sure Al Gore invented it right before he invented the internet.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I am pretty sure Al Gore invented it right before he invented the internet.
    Posted by jesseyeric

You are supposed to be the straight man , remember?Laughing

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

IHow about "Stray Cat Strut" by the Stray Cats??? Ever hear anyone say "I hate this song!"
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

You're kidding me with this, right?

There aren't a lot of songs that make me physically cringe (which is an interesting idea for another thread), but this is surely one of them.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Sorry about that Zilla - I really couldn't help myself.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Is there a song or songs that YOU think have a relatively "universal" appeal? : You're kidding me with this, right? There aren't a lot of songs that make me physically cringe (which is an interesting idea for another thread), but this is surely one of them.
    Posted by p-mike

I wasn't kidding, you are the first person I know that has ever said this.

I guess we can cross this one off the list.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Sorry about that Zilla - I really couldn't help myself.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Of course, we can never have too many jokesters.

That was really one of the better ones, great work!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

"This Land Is Your Land" - Woody Guthrie

"Annie's Song" & "Take Me Home, Country Roads" - John Denver

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zteUXJysgas&feature=related

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I Love The Dead - Alice Cooper

What do you think?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

I actually meant to say John Lennon's "Happy XMas (War Is Over)" would be my choice previously, although "Imagine" is good also.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JazzyJtotheILL. Show JazzyJtotheILL's posts

I bet Pearl Jam will be one of those bands in the future....

Sections
Shortcuts