Is your taste in music eclectic?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Is your taste in music eclectic?

A post on the Muse thread got me thinking about this regarding my own taste in music. I always considered my taste eclectic yet there are certain types of music that just don't appeal to me. Yoga is big on the music of the 90's but for some reason that decade did not click with me. I think of it as the time when what I refer to as "college music" was at its popular peak. Others may know it as "alt" or 'indie" or whatever. I always thought of it as music geared toward mostly white college kids. I think this music tended to be too serious in tone and too ironic for my personal taste.

Now, back to the topic. I still think my taste is eclectic even though I seem to blank out most of the 90's (sorry Yoga). At different times in my life I have listened to classical, rock, blues, country, jazz, and hip-hop. I have enjoyed music from genres such as surf instrumentals, disco, bubblegum, rockabilly, soul, swing, be-bop, and even pop country. I tend to like to look to the past for originators of music rather than those who were influenced, but this is not a hard and fast rule for me.

I think the 90's slowly brought an end to my prime period in life to experiment and try out new musical sounds. I always though I would keep up with the latest music, but that didn't come to pass. Don't know if that is the fault of aging or the types of music that came out. That makes me wonder if my taste is still truly eclectic or if I have been frozen into a limited choice of music that entertains me. I still think of my taste as eclectic, but it may not measure up to some others that post here, such as Matty and Zilla.

How eclectic is your musical taste?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Is your taste in music eclectic?

I never really viewed my musical taste as eclectic. However, I  have expanded my musical horizons over time. While I still ( and always will) view Heavy Metal and Prog as my most favorite , I am a real big fan of the Punk/ New Wave era, and I love the Alternative era ( the 90s college music you refer to) and I have many, many favorites from the 60s Psychdelic era (Jefferson Airplane, Doors) and the 80s Post Punk era ( Devo, Talking Heads). I also became a bigger fan of Motown era music and anything that was Blues from Luther Allison to Lightin' Slim , Muddy Waters To Robert Cray.

So , while I enjoy most genres of Rock, I do like Folk, Blues, Soul and some of the older Country ( Hank Sr. and Johnny Cash, Waylon and Willie, etc.), I absolutley love many Classical pieces....but I couldn't tell you a damn thing about who wrote them or when...just that I like them.

On the other side of the coin, I hate what I hate. Disco, Hip Hop ,Modern Country, Rap and most Pop, especially the later stuff.

I don't know how you would define my taste, really except that I like stuff that is more creative, intelligent and not overly repetitive. I like music with no lyrics, but love lyrics when they mean something. The lyrics in Disco and Rap are mostly nonsense or garbage.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I'm not sure it's possible to be "more" or "less" eclectic, since "too eclectic" usually means a hodgepodge or lack of clarity.  (It's improbable to like everything.)

I think that, as we age, our preferences become more attuned and specific regardless of whether those preferences lean toward old or new music (or both).

Like it or not, any focus on western-based and/or -derived music is bound to be somewhat narrow given the tens of thousands of musical traditions worldwide.

And yet, we never know what we like or don't like until we hear it.

(The easiest way to measure one against another is by height, or so it's been said.  :)  )

As for myself, I'm just kind of a popular music junkie...always looking for the next big score or hit down the road and around the corner.  It's a bit like an eating disorder and may not always be healthy, so I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

My taste in music isn't necessarily completely reflected in the music that I own.   The music I like (my taste) far exceeds what I own.  

Also, what's my version of eclectic vs. someone else's?  High energy music, played loudly, mixed in with sad, lo-fi music, stripped down and played at barely a whisper?   Yet, if it's all rock music in general, I'm not so sure I'd consider that "eclectic" -- but others might.   

It's one thing to say you listen to countless genres (I do), but it's another to consider how much of it you own, and the frequency / how often you're listening.  

So I think asking someone if their taste in music is eclectic is really asking them if they *think* their taste in music is eclectic.  How's that for a dodge?  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

So I think asking someone if their taste in music is eclectic is really asking them if they *think* their taste in music is eclectic.  How's that for a dodge?  

:P

To me, it doesn't matter what one owns, even if it's important to me, personally.

Does that help?

Did you ever meet someone who didn't like fantasy, or science fiction, or animation, or anything that "couldn't happen in real life", or that seems like "kid stuff"...?

Sensibilities like that are deliberately narrow in focus; all the detritus and extras are stripped away and tangents, if considered at all, are frowned upon.

That's what I think of as "non-eclectic"....e.g. Sherlock Holmes had no imagination.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In adittion to having an eclectic taste in music, I would also say my taste has evolved over the years to include - some - "current" music. I can't imagine being "stuck" in any one year/decade of music, that would have to get pretty boring after a while.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Very.  I like everything from Garage Punk to Punk.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

To me, it doesn't matter what one owns, even if it's important to me, personally.

Does that help?

Did you ever meet someone who didn't like fantasy, or science fiction, or animation, or anything that "couldn't happen in real life", or that seems like "kid stuff"...?

Sensibilities like that are deliberately narrow in focus; all the detritus and extras are stripped away and tangents, if considered at all, are frowned upon.

That's what I think of as "non-eclectic"....e.g. Sherlock Holmes had no imagination.

It certainly doesn't matter what one owns, granted ... unless "listening frequency" is part of what determines how eclectic one's taste is.  :P   I don't want to make DD regret asking this, but it's not that different from other questions that might beg the issue of the need for definition.  Sorry, DD, but your measurements in other threads may come back to haunt you ... :) 

Eclectic is one thing ... but jumping superfically from one thing to the next, without really ever making a landing and letting that (music) stick / resonate, that's another thing entirely.   Like being a serial dater, don't you think?    

Then there are those lovable diehard metalheads, who live, breathe and sleep with heavy metal.  That's probably why diehard metalheads consider themselves the most fervent of all rock fans; they don't ever stray from the genre, and they're proud of that fact.   HA.

And yes, the attitude you describe above is terribly limiting and the anti-thesis of eclectic; as an observer, it looks boring, but if that's someone else's comfort zone or POV, there's not much any of us can say to change it.   If they ever see the light, they have to see it for themselves.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Does that help?

It certainly doesn't matter what one owns, granted ... unless "listening frequency" is part of what determines how eclectic one's taste is.  :P   I don't want to make DD regret asking this, but it's not that different from other questions that might beg the issue of the need for definition.  Sorry, DD, but your measurements in other threads may come back to haunt you ... :) 

Eclectic is one thing ... but jumping superfically from one thing to the next, without really ever making a landing and letting that (music) stick / resonate, that's another thing entirely.   Like being a serial dater, don't you think?    

Then there are those lovable diehard metalheads, who live, breathe and sleep with heavy metal.  That's probably why diehard metalheads consider themselves the most fervent of all rock fans; they don't ever stray from the genre, and they're proud of that fact.   HA.

And yes, the attitude you describe above is terribly limiting and the anti-thesis of eclectic; as an observer, it looks boring, but if that's someone else's comfort zone or POV, there's not much any of us can say to change it.   If they ever see the light, they have to see it for themselves.  

Can't we offer them a flashlight?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

A post on the Muse thread got me thinking about this regarding my own taste in music. I always considered my taste eclectic yet there are certain types of music that just don't appeal to me. Yoga is big on the music of the 90's but for some reason that decade did not click with me. I think of it as the time when what I refer to as "college music" was at its popular peak. Others may know it as "alt" or 'indie" or whatever. I always thought of it as music geared toward mostly white college kids. I think this music tended to be too serious in tone and too ironic for my personal taste.

Now, back to the topic. I still think my taste is eclectic even though I seem to blank out most of the 90's (sorry Yoga). 

I think the 90's slowly brought an end to my prime period in life to experiment and try out new musical sounds. I always though I would keep up with the latest music, but that didn't come to pass. Don't know if that is the fault of aging or the types of music that came out. That makes me wonder if my taste is still truly eclectic or if I have been frozen into a limited choice of music that entertains me. I still think of my taste as eclectic, but it may not measure up to some others that post here, such as Matty and Zilla.

Just a few things per the 1990's music -- you're putting lots of focus on the early part of that decade, when the (backlash to the 80's) grunge style became popular and was cultivated.  I can understand your connecting that music with that era, b/c it was a hallmark for sure (and I am not the expert ... there are others on the forum that can speak with more expertise and more eloquently), and yes, it was a burgeoning decade for some great indie / alt music, too.   But it was so MUCH MORE, too.    I discovered Alison Krauss, and I also discovered Celtic music, and was a fervent fan during that time frame.  I also discovered one of my favorite artists with the most enduring talent I can ever imagine, the breathtaking Loreena McKennitt.  I owe so much to what I discovered in that decade, and yes, I am still discovering from it.    Thanks to discussions here, and Matty's recommendation, I also am now a fan of  the Jayhawks, who are a decidedly folkie Americana band.   So all this to say, I get what you mean, but I honestly would not have the taste I have today, without that decade.   It's very eclectic, more than you may realize.  

Also, don't be comparing yourself to Zilla or Matty or anyone else .... these are not ordinary music fans, or maybe they are the true definition of a fan which is a fanATIC.   :) JE, Hfx, and others are not slouches, either.  

Also, I thought you'd like a little aside re: Grunge and clothes fashion.   As you know, grunge music was a backlash to all of the flash and glitz of the 1980's, and that included the way the rockers dressed ... WAY down.   As it happened, grunge fashion became very chic and en vogue, but not as a backlash, but more as a real fashion statement, b/c pop culture factors into fashion, and sets the standard (so to speak) for what will become popular in mainstream circles.   So overall, it was ironic that the "anti-fashion statement" that the bands were making, became popularized in the mainstream, with some of the super models  making a huge amount of $$$ helping to market it, of course.     GREAT decade.  :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:

Can't we offer them a flashlight?

You're so thoughtful.  Of course we can, and we will.   Just don't get frustrated when those people refuse to take it.  :P  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I'm not consciously eclectic.  Maybe at one time I was.

There have been times when I had self-doubt about my musical tastes.  Not any more.  I don't mean to sound smug but I've reached a point where I'm totally satisfied with my choices and experiences as a music fan.  If I was as satisfied sexually as I am musically, I'd be one of the most contented guys on Planet Earth. :-)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I get what HFx is saying. Initially I went through a phase when I was more open to experimentation and tried listening to many types of music that I previously had no interest in. I really started out as an average music fan with no clue as to what was to come. As I listened to more experimental (for me) music, somehow my ears and something in my DNA took over. I never expected to be listening to most of the music that are my favorites today. Now I'm at a point where I know what I really like and really don't care to experiment much based on critical acclaim or others recommendations. I will still sample different performers that get discussed here, but I rarely get hooked on a new sound.

I don't consider myself close minded to new kinds of music, but like Hfx I have an inner satisfaction with all my favorite music and feel little desire to expand further.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I don't consider myself close minded to new kinds of music, but like Hfx I have an inner satisfaction with all my favorite music and feel little desire to expand further.

So, it seems that if new music stumbles by, then you'll have a listen, but otherwise you won't go out of your way to seek it out...is that correct?

Nothing wrong with that.  As we've said, as long as you give the new stuff a fair hearing, there's not much more that can be expected.

And as per the OP, you can still have eclectic tastes without loving everything.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Music is not the only art in life, remember.   I think we've all mentioned at one time or another, some of our additional interests, hobbies and activities that we take part in.   I have many other interests, although I could also call myself a dabbler (you would not believe how many types of "lessons" I have taken ... I'd be embarrassed to list them all -- and paid for most of them myself).  I even went to a PEN show, because I love pens and writing implements (yes, there are pen shows and pen collectors ... I kid you not).   Maybe it's more honest and a more full, if not accurate assessment, to look at yourself on a holistic basis, with the idea that "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts" so to speak.  Your taste in music, no matter how varied it may or may not be, is just one factor.  Your whole being and all of your interests work in unison, and that's what makes you the full-bodied person that you are.   It's the gestalt.   

PS  Hfx's comment had me howling.  We should all be so lucky in all facets of our lives as we are musically.   :)

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

I always thought it was odd someone would love, say blues or rock, and roll and also love something like hip hop or techno. They're polar opposites and one side of the spectrum is why I love music. The other, is why I think some are just poseurs looking to take a gimmick and make money off it.

Though it may not be obvious, there are certainly 'serious' examples of hip-hop, techno and more modern types of popular music.  I'm not the biggest fan, mind you, but there is lots of great, original hip-hop out there.

But you're certainly not alone.  Many classical admirers (and opera, showtunes, etc.) wouldn't give the time of day to something as 'crass' as rock n'roll music.  In fact, at its inception, the various slurs lobbed against it were defamatory and racist in tone, i.e. "jungle music".

Even Springsteen's latest included a rap/hook (as well as a gospel choir) on one song.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Music is not the only art in life, remember.   I think we've all mentioned at one time or another, some of our additional interests, hobbies and activities that we take part in.   I have many other interests, although I could also call myself a dabbler (you would not believe how many types of "lessons" I have taken ... I'd be embarrassed to list them all -- and paid for most of them myself).  I even went to a PEN show, because I love pens and writing implements (yes, there are pen shows and pen collectors ... I kid you not).   Maybe it's more honest and a more full, if not accurate assessment, to look at yourself on a holistic basis, with the idea that "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts" so to speak.  Your taste in music, no matter how varied it may or may not be, is just one factor.  Your whole being and all of your interests work in unison, and that's what makes you the full-bodied person that you are.   It's the gestalt.   

PS  Hfx's comment had me howling.  We should all be so lucky in all facets of our lives as we are musically.   :)

.....a pen show? really?  too funny ;)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

It's offbeat, but there are people who collect stamps, coins ... why not pens?   There are pen shows that take place in every corner of the US, and Europe.   Vintage pen vendors are very interesting (if somewhat geeky) people.   The history of the pen is actually quite fascinating (if not esoteric to most people), to some of us.   I would love to help with an exhibition on the history of the pen.   

I took calligraphy lessons.   I always wanted pens and markers for gifts as a kid, as well as fountain pens and beautiful paper.   I went to Venice once, and bought some pencils wrapped in Venetian paper that were like little works of art, and the most beautiful pencils I have ever seen (or owned).  :)

The use of pens is becoming extinct to a certain extent (that may be an exaggeration ... but   writing by hand is certainly going in that direction, and so has the art of actually learning to write in cursive, that practice has gone out the window).  Believe it or not,  the Parker Pen Company is celebrating its 125th year anniversary -- alive and well, and I hope they stay that way.  There was a time when companies gave employees beautiful gold pens for anniversaries and retirement gifts, engraved no less.   Pens were a mark of distinction, in a way that has no equal now, not even an Apple product can compare with what a pen once represented.    The history of the pencil is the same way; believe it or not, people who study the history of technology, engineering, let alone design, often study the history of pencils.    Crazy, huh?!    :)   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

It's offbeat, but there are people who collect stamps, coins ... why not pens?   There are pen shows that take place in every corner of the US, and Europe.   Vintage pen vendors are very interesting (if somewhat geeky) people.   The history of the pen is actually quite fascinating (if not esoteric to most people), to some of us.   I would love to help with an exhibition on the history of the pen.   

I took calligraphy lessons.   I always wanted pens and markers for gifts as a kid, as well as fountain pens and beautiful paper.   I went to Venice once, and bought some pencils wrapped in Venetian paper that were like little works of art, and the most beautiful pencils I have ever seen (or owned).  :)

The use of pens is becoming extinct to a certain extent (that may be an exaggeration ... but   writing by hand is certainly going in that direction, and so has the art of actually learning to write in cursive, that practice has gone out the window).  Believe it or not,  the Parker Pen Company is celebrating its 125th year anniversary -- alive and well, and I hope they stay that way.  There was a time when companies gave employees beautiful gold pens for anniversaries and retirement gifts, engraved no less.   Pens were a mark of distinction, in a way that has no equal now, not even an Apple product can compare with what a pen once represented.    The history of the pencil is the same way; believe it or not, people who study the history of technology, engineering, let alone design, often study the history of pencils.    Crazy, huh?!    :)   

I have several cigar boxes filled with pens.

Most are from hotels, functions, business meetings, etc....

But as a (amateurish) writer, it feels wasteful to throw away a pen that still works much less one that signifies an event.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I am an entertainment junkie, and love variety in all forms of entertainment. I guess my need and love of variety is what drives my taste to be eclectic. Yes, I think of it more as entertainment even though it can also be considered art. There are some creations that I recognize and acknowledge as works of art but that do not entertain me and have little impact on me except objective admiration at the genius behind it. Makes me think of the line from "Smells Like Teen Spirit", "here we are now, entertain us". Yes, I want to be entertained but at the same time consider myself somewhat of an intellectual. A contradiction? Maybe so.

I think it's quite normal to have obsessive interests in things that others may find mundane. My wife loves office supplies and loves to shop at Staples. I think that is one of the many things that makes her so cute. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

1. I am in complete agreement with DD, in that you reach a certain age and you are content with your musical choices and feel you do not need to expand anymore. In my case, I expanded my collection so much in the late 80s-early 90s, that i have sucha vast collection and only a few hours time to enjoy what I already have.

2. Gee yoga, I always considered myself kind of "ordinary" , I mean there are so many people I know who like most of what I like, and hate most of what I hate. A friend and co-worker of mine in in his early 20s ( less than half my age) and has many similar likes and dislikes in music....he plays guitar in a Heavy Metal band named Balam....check them out on You Tube by searching under Balam The Followed, Balam Soul Scour , Balam Dark Door....these kids are the real deal, I don't know the rest of the band , but they are extremely dedicated, talented and passionate about playing dark , gloomy , very heavy music...this type music will never get them on American Idol, which is whay I like their music , they write their own stuff and are not following the latest trend, rather they are doing what they like to do.

3. Collecting pens is not the weirdest thing....when Luis Gonzalez chewed, dried up bubblegum appeared on Ebay after the Diamondbacks won the World Series , that had to be the dumbest thing I would ever see someone collecting....chewed gum from anther persons mouth...yeeuck!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I have several cigar boxes filled with pens.

Most are from hotels, functions, business meetings, etc....

But as a (amateurish) writer, it feels wasteful to throw away a pen that still works much less one that signifies an event.

Great use of old cigar boxes.   There was a time when you'd get a really *nice* pen from a hotel or a function, or at least the name of the hotel or event would be imprinted on the pen.   Now, there are more generic "party favor type pens" at such places, just another example of the erosion of  the niceties that were offered at a time when they were affordable and more was made in the USA.    Otherwise, I never pass up a chance to take a pen that has an inscription on it.   Nice work.  Keep the collection going.   :)   

It's hard to believe, but my Dad smoked cigars when I was a kid, and I still have some of those cigar (wooden) and cigarillo (tin) boxes.   Everyone in my family used the boxes, and we still do.    My father was a fitness nut, and did give up cigars a long time ago.   I wouldn't trade those boxes for anything in the world.   

I don't "collect" pens in the classic sense ... I collect them in my travels.   I used to have a beautiful collection of calligraphic pens, ink -- I was so into all of the tools of the trade.  I still love looking at nibs, and testing them.    One of the best pens I do own, though, is from a job I had at a publishing company.   It is beautiful, the weight of the pen is like a precision tool when I write with it.  

One of the most well-known locally based calligraphers was at the pen show I attended a couple of years ago.   He is talented beyond reason.   He had blank white cards at his booth and he'd write your name on the card (in his free-hand amazing lettering) if you wanted.  I have a formal name, even though I go by a nickname, but I asked him to write out my real FULL name so I'd get the benefit of his handiwork.   Astonishing.   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Music is not the only art in life, remember.  

I am an entertainment junkie, and love variety in all forms of entertainment. I guess my need and love of variety is what drives my taste to be eclectic. Yes, I think of it more as entertainment even though it can also be considered art. There are some creations that I recognize and acknowledge as works of art but that do not entertain me and have little impact on me except objective admiration at the genius behind it. Makes me think of the line from "Smells Like Teen Spirit", "here we are now, entertain us". Yes, I want to be entertained but at the same time consider myself somewhat of an intellectual. A contradiction? Maybe so.

I think it's quite normal to have obsessive interests in things that others may find mundane. My wife loves office supplies and loves to shop at Staples. I think that is one of the many things that makes her so cute. 

I should have put the word "art" in quotes, but I think you saw what I meant in the overall sense.    

I don't consider any of my interests obsessive, but I "drill down" more deeply in some of them than most people do.    I know many people who love office supplies, too; I feel such a connection.  When I was a kid, I loved to play "office" ... even then.  :)      

I'm glad I brought up the pen show.   I have some esoteric interests; it never ceases to amuse me when I realize all of the offbeat things I am drawn to, and my desire to learn about them.   It's also fun to share these interests with others, even if at times, all I get is blank stares.  :-)   Doesn't bother me one bit.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Music is not the only art in life, remember.  

I should have put the word "art" in quotes, but I think you saw what I meant in the overall sense.    

I don't consider any of my interests obsessive, but I "drill down" more deeply in some of them than most people do.    I know many people who love office supplies, too; I feel such a connection.  When I was a kid, I loved to play "office" ... even then.  :)      

I'm glad I brought up the pen show.   I have some esoteric interests; it never ceases to amuse me when I realize all of the offbeat things I am drawn to, and my desire to learn about them.   It's also fun to share these interests with others, even if at times, all I get is blank stares.  :-)   Doesn't bother me one bit.  

I'm the same as you. I always drill down deep into my interests. When I like something, I want to know everything I can about it, especially the history of it. I'm into history in the broadest sense of the word. I like to learn about the history of everything and anything, not just war and politics (but I like that, too).  

Sections
Shortcuts