Is your taste in music eclectic?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Is your taste in music eclectic?

I would love to have a really good pen.  All I ever use is cheap, crappy ballpoints.  I should mention this to my wife before next Christmas.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfilio. Show portfilio's posts

Blues & Jazz esp from 1920s to early 60s

Rock & Roll from 50s to early 80s

Ragtime

Baroque

Elizabethan

Louis Moreau Gottschalk

Andean

Afro-Cuban, Puerto Rican salsa

Tex-Mex

Blue Grass

Folk

Moravian liturgical music

my absolute favorite: Gamelon

and, I'm sure there a few more

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to portfilio's comment:

Blues & Jazz esp from 1920s to early 60s

Rock & Roll from 50s to early 80s

Ragtime

Baroque

Elizabethan

Louis Moreau Gottschalk

Andean

Afro-Cuban, Puerto Rican salsa

Tex-Mex

Blue Grass

Folk

Moravian liturgical music

my absolute favorite: Gamelon

I have a cousin that studied Balinese dance, performed to Gamelan music.  It's a long story, but she wasn't very good at it, from what I could see.  The music was very good, however.  :)

She was in a performance in the Boston area quite a while ago, and she became vicious when I complimented one of her peers that was in the performance  (this dancer was phenomenal); my cousin could not hide her jealousy.   Blew my mind at the time because this style of dance is supposed to be the embodiment of a certain depth of spirit and beauty; my perception of her skill was validated when she was so ungracious.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I would love to have a really good pen.  All I ever use is cheap, crappy ballpoints.  I should mention this to my wife before next Christmas.

Do it.   You will be surprised how a high-quality pen will enhance your writing experience.  You will eagerly write checks (even though you probably pay most of your bills electronically, as I do); paying any of your bills that do require hardcopy, will be less painful when you're using a beautiful pen.  :)   I live a very gadget-free lifestyle, believe me, and am no snob when it comes to the ownership of material goods -- but there are simple things in life that can bring surprising lifts to the spirit, and can also bring a sense of "art" into what might be considered ordinary or mundane.  

Bet you never expected to derive an inspiration to ask for a pen for a gift from a thread in the music forum.  :D   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:

.....a pen show? really?  too funny ;)

It's offbeat, but there are people who collect stamps, coins ... why not pens?   There are pen shows that take place in every corner of the US, and Europe.   Vintage pen vendors are very interesting (if somewhat geeky) people.   The history of the pen is actually quite fascinating (if not esoteric to most people), to some of us.   I would love to help with an exhibition on the history of the pen.   

I took calligraphy lessons.   I always wanted pens and markers for gifts as a kid, as well as fountain pens and beautiful paper.   I went to Venice once, and bought some pencils wrapped in Venetian paper that were like little works of art, and the most beautiful pencils I have ever seen (or owned).  :)

The use of pens is becoming extinct to a certain extent (that may be an exaggeration ... but   writing by hand is certainly going in that direction, and so has the art of actually learning to write in cursive, that practice has gone out the window).  Believe it or not,  the Parker Pen Company is celebrating its 125th year anniversary -- alive and well, and I hope they stay that way.  There was a time when companies gave employees beautiful gold pens for anniversaries and retirement gifts, engraved no less.   Pens were a mark of distinction, in a way that has no equal now, not even an Apple product can compare with what a pen once represented.    The history of the pencil is the same way; believe it or not, people who study the history of technology, engineering, let alone design, often study the history of pencils.    Crazy, huh?!    :)   

Sorry, it was an attempt at humor on my part..........my "bizarre/unique" collection(?) a salt water aquarium, at one point the sole occupant was....................................an octopus!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

1. I am in complete agreement with DD, in that you reach a certain age and you are content with your musical choices and feel you do not need to expand anymore.

Zilla....I like you a lot..I really do, even though we don't always agree tastewise on music I have a lot of time for you.  Please reconsider your post above and refuse to cave in to convention/gravity/low-alcohol beer  :-).

Feck, think about it....do you truly believe that a person 20, 30, 40, 50, 75, 125 becomes UNABLE to appreciate new art?  Or are they UNWILLING to try?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Do it.   You will be surprised how a high-quality pen will enhance your writing experience.  You will eagerly write checks (even though you probably pay most of your bills electronically, as I do); paying any of your bills that do require hardcopy, will be less painful when you're using a beautiful pen.  :)  I live a very gadget-free lifestyle, believe me, and am no snob when it comes to the ownership of material goods -- but there are simple things in life that can bring surprising lifts to the spirit, and can also bring a sense of "art" into what might be considered ordinary or mundane.  

Bet you never expected to derive an inspiration to ask for a pen for a gift from a thread in the music forum.  :D   

You are right, I never expected it. :-)

Now I will quote the only song I know of that has the word pen in the title.

You can walk, you can talk, you can fight

But inside you've got something to write

In your hand you hold your only friend

Never spend your guitar or your pen

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I would imagine that up to and around the mid 90's, I may have considered myself an open book on music. But the truth is now as I have entered middle-age that As Matty pointed out, unless something new falls into my lap, I am quite content in listening to the music I always have. From guthrie - Holly - Waits - Beatles - Alice Cooper - Queen - Zep - Bowie, etc. And except for the Beatles, what I listen to most is one of the most hated of genres and that is 80's Hard Rock - Def Lep, Motley Crue, Ratt, Cinderella, Kix, LA Guns, Enuff z' Nuff and others. For some reason, the music doesn't make me feel my age and it truly boosts my mood, especially in long, trying days.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I'm fairly eclectic.  Other than opera, I think I can name at least  one song I like in every genre ... alternative, classic rock, heavy metal, rap, country, blues, jazz. But I suspect most of you can say the same.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to jesseyeric's comment:

And except for the Beatles, what I listen to most is one of the most hated of genres and that is 80's Hard Rock - Def Lep, Motley Crue, Ratt, Cinderella, Kix, LA Guns, Enuff z' Nuff and others. For some reason, the music doesn't make me feel my age and it truly boosts my mood, especially in long, trying days.

Are they really one of the "most hated genres"...?  The inevitable music snobbery aside, they seem to do pretty well on the nostalgia circuit and have a pretty good hold on a large number of that generation who grew up with them.  We've talked before, too, about the enduring popularity of all kinds of metal acts all over the world.

A good friend recently saw Tom Keifer solo up at Salisbury Beach and said that he kicked it old-school.  Cinderella were always a more-regarded band from that scene, IMO.  But just like any other genre, late-80's pop metal gives plenty of less-than-mediocre acts.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

And except for the Beatles, what I listen to most is one of the most hated of genres and that is 80's Hard Rock - Def Lep, Motley Crue, Ratt, Cinderella, Kix, LA Guns, Enuff z' Nuff and others. For some reason, the music doesn't make me feel my age and it truly boosts my mood, especially in long, trying days.

Are they really one of the "most hated genres"...?  The inevitable music snobbery aside, they seem to do pretty well on the nostalgia circuit and have a pretty good hold on a large number of that generation who grew up with them.  We've talked before, too, about the enduring popularity of all kinds of metal acts all over the world.

A good friend recently saw Tom Keifer solo up at Salisbury Beach and said that he kicked it old-school.  Cinderella were always a more-regarded band from that scene, IMO.  But just like any other genre, late-80's pop metal gives plenty of less-than-mediocre acts.

I agree with your take on the group. I guess it is amongst critics and so-called "Real Metal" fans that the glam metal scene is brushed aside.

As for Tom Keifer - would love to hear more about the show. I actually became friends with Jeff Labar from Cinderella on FB. I always thought Cindy was so much more than their look. They may very well have been the bluesiest group to come out of the decade. Tom's use of the slide and metal guitars was top notch.  Definitely one of my favorites.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I agree with your take on the group. I guess it is amongst critics and so-called "Real Metal" fans that the glam metal scene is brushed aside.

As for Tom Keifer - would love to hear more about the show. I actually became friends with Jeff Labar from Cinderella on FB. I always thought Cindy was so much more than their look. They may very well have been the bluesiest group to come out of the decade. Tom's use of the slide and metal guitars was top notch.  Definitely one of my favorites.

Alas, I wasn't there, although I can vouch for my friend's bona fides.  Perhaps his taste is not as 'eclectic' as mine (per the OP), but I've been to plenty of different shows with him...from Sublime to the Dead to Maiden to the Stones...and his instincts are usually pretty good.

At their best, Cinderella could throw down with almost anyone at the time and have earned their nevertheless faithful following.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I was reading an interview with a record engineer and he was playing tapes of some newly recorded music awhile back. Some of the young guns in the studio thought the music was amazing and asked him about it. When he said it was Cinderella, the group collectively got up and left. Sadly, the outfits, hairspray and outright decadence of that genre has clearly turned off the chance of new listeners.

The only bands I know of who seem to be continuing with new material are Def Leppard (Never a Hair Band), Bon Jovi (The biggest schlock of the decade) and Tesla (a personal favorite and also not a Hair band).

I do like that Lita Ford is out their recording new material.

Thankfully Slash still carries the banner high.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

The only bands I know of who seem to be continuing with new material are Def Leppard (Never a Hair Band), Bon Jovi (The biggest schlock of the decade) and Tesla (a personal favorite and also not a Hair band).

Queensryche has managed to stay active and (mostly) above the fray, but I consider them more progressive anyway (also not a hair band).

Seems like a good thread topic...late 80s survivors...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Queensryche has managed to stay active and (mostly) above the fray, but I consider them more progressive anyway (also not a hair band).

Doing it without Geoff Tate I understand which makes zero sense to me. Kind of like Journey without Steve Perry.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Doing it without Geoff Tate I understand which makes zero sense to me. Kind of like Journey without Steve Perry.

JE, it's such a small world.   RE: Steve Perry and Journey.   Would you believe I read an article a few days ago on Journey's "new"  front man?  

A local film maker made a documentary about him called "Don't Stop Believin': Everyman's Journey" and it's the story of his "journey" from obscurity to becoming the front man of Journey a 5 years ago.   His name is Arnel Pineda.  He's from the Phillipines.   The article described briefly that he'd been in cover bands most of his life, and had been covering Journey songs like an expert.   He came to the US to audition -- a life dream.   

... I just found the article again, so I could show you what it said re: StevePerry:

"He knows some fans will never accept him.   Although Journey had two other singers (Steve Augeri and Jeff Scott Soto) between their most famous frontman, Steve Perry, and Pineda, in the film the band members make clear that Pineda is their man as long as he wants to be. (Perry and the group split acrimoniously in 1998 and Perry has said that he has no interest in returning.)

"No singer in this world can ever replace what Mr. Perry has accomplished with the band"  Pineda says.   "But right now the main objective is to continue sharing the message they have worked so hard for over the years. It’s no competition. Right now, I can still feel the bitterness of a lot of Perry fans out there.

But they don’t really understand what’s going on.

They feel threatened that Mr. Perry is being dethroned of his place in the band. Nobody’s trying to change that. I completely understand where they’re coming from, but they shouldn’t feel threatened, they should feel happy that the music is still relevant. A lot of people still come to the show to witness for themselves Journey in the 21st century."

Sometimes we wonder why the nostalgia bands keep going ... but I thought this was a nice, concise reason as to why.    

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Do it.   You will be surprised how a high-quality pen will enhance your writing experience.  You will eagerly write checks (even though you probably pay most of your bills electronically, as I do); paying any of your bills that do require hardcopy, will be less painful when you're using a beautiful pen.  :)  I live a very gadget-free lifestyle, believe me, and am no snob when it comes to the ownership of material goods -- but there are simple things in life that can bring surprising lifts to the spirit, and can also bring a sense of "art" into what might be considered ordinary or mundane.  

You are right, I never expected it. :-)

Now I will quote the only song I know of that has the word pen in the title.

You can walk, you can talk, you can fight

But inside you've got something to write

In your hand you hold your only friend

Never spend your guitar or your pen

BTW, I've never heard of that song by the Who.   I checked out the full set of lyrics, and listened to it on youtube, too.   It sounds like a song that would be part of a musical or rock opera.    The lyrics (and music) are very thoughtful.    If this concept is good enough for the Who, it's got to be good for the rest of us.   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

BTW, I've never heard of that song by the Who.   I checked out the full set of lyrics, and listened to it on youtube, too.   It sounds like a song that would be part of a musical or rock opera.    The lyrics (and music) are very thoughtful.    If this concept is good enough for the Who, it's got to be good for the rest of us. 

Great song, isn't it.  Somebody mentioned it here a while back as one of the Who's more underrated songs, and I would agree.  And you're right, it does sound like part of one of Pete's rock operas. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

They were always a band bigger than any single member, IMO, but it will be strange.  Some said the same about DeGarmo leaving, but they still carried on admirably.  The Mindcrime II show I saw was impressive.

Now I read that there will be two competing versions of Queensryche.  (Geoff's has Rudy Sarzo and Simon Wright, fwiw)  Confusing....

As for Journey, I hesitate to put them in the same league, but they had a minor history before Perry came aboard.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I'm like others on this board.

I don't know how eclectic I am. I'm often late to the party when it comes to new bands. For example, I became a fan of 10,000 Maniacs after seeing the video of "Because The Night" from their MTV Unplugged set, which is right at the time Natalie Merchant left the band.

But I like what I like. Most of it is before 1990, unless a band/performer from that era produced something new after 1990. But it encompasses a wide range of genres -- classic rock, folk, singer/songwriter stuff from the '60 and '70s, pop music from the '50s through '80s, some hair band heavy metal from the 1980s, some blues, '80s power ballads, progressive and alternative rock from the '70s and '80s, psychadelic, art rock, Southern Rock etc.  and there are some post 1990 band/performers that I like, although I probably don't own much of it.

I can easily go from Led Zep to Natalie Merchant to The Moody Blues to Neil Diamond to The Cars to Meat Loaf to Bonnie Tyler to Harry Chapin to Pink Floyd to Barry Manilow to Pat Benatar to Elvis to Air Supply to Guns 'N Roses to Simon and Garfunkel to Dio to Roger Whitaker (he has some ballads that I like) to The Who ... well, you get the point.

I don't like punk or grunge and there is not a lot of New Wave that I like.

I'm sure there are new bands or performers who began in the 1990s that I might like if someone introduced me to it, but I don't really go searching out new stuff. I'm more likely to search out stuff from performers I like that I never about. For example, I just came across some stuff that Jack Blades and Tommy Shaw did together after they left Damn Yankees.

And even in the era where there is a lot of stuff I like, I don't have much obscure stuff that others have.

I'm sure there are posters whose tastes range a lot wider than mine with all sorts of bands and performers that I never heard of.

But like I said -- I like what I like.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I make the comparrison only because of the unique talent that each singer brought to the table. Journey has remained a viable, but nostalgic act. I do not believe they have recorded anything of substance since Perry left. You can replace the voice, but not necessarily the writing.

As for two Queensryche's - it would not be the first time. We can date this back to the Temptations when Ruffin and Kendricks led one version of the group and Blue and Otis led the other. Right now I believe there are two versions of LA Gunds touring.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

Uh oh!  A Roger Whitaker sighting!  haha

One of Canada's finest. My parents listened to his stuff.  I have never heard anyone reference his name other than my folks' living room. 

My mother loved Roger Whittaker.  He's not Canadian, though, even if he sort of seems like one.

Sections
Shortcuts