It's Over

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

It's Over

Sad to say, it seems our forum is all but over and done with as an active, vibrant community of music lovers. We had a small group, with potential to grow, when typhoon BDC blew through and sent everything into disarray. We appear to have lost one of our founders, Zillagod, to this fierce storm. Our other founder, jesseyeric, had storm trouble of his own before this and has never been able to fully rejoin us. We miss them both. 

Yogafriend has put in a valiant effort to get us back on our feet, but it may be too big a task for one person. I have now sunk so low as to venture into the Politics forum which is mainly a bunch of partisan bickering and name calling. Even the Red Sox forum doesn't have the same vibrant feeling it once had. 

This music forum had become my go-to spot, where you could engage in interesting discussion with very little personal attacks. Sad to say, I feel it is almost futile to post here any more.

So in that sad spirit, I offer a couple of songs. Is it over? I hope not. I miss the discussions we had here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVdG09fQ8Ek" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVdG09fQ8Ek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCe0r2iMqbg

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: It's Over

Speaking only for myself, it's been a busy few months and likely to get busier.  

Every band goes on "hiatus" at some point for some reason (family, sick of each other, etc.).

So maybe this is just the music board's "hiatus".

Or maybe the board is just mirroring the overall decline in music sales.

Like most forums, I'm attracted first to the topic, and then to the argument, depending on my level of boredom/interest.

To quote Todt in Raiders, "Now...what shall we talk about...?"

"When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front-row seat."  - GC

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rich1273. Show Rich1273's posts

I check this forum almost daily, but there hasn't been anything interesting to comment on lately. I'm not sure if it's over, but I'm willing to share my opinion on something if I can add to a discussion.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sad to say, it seems our forum is all but over and done with as an active, vibrant community of music lovers. We had a small group, with potential to grow, when typhoon BDC blew through and sent everything into disarray. We appear to have lost one of our founders, Zillagod, to this fierce storm. Our other founder, jesseyeric, had storm trouble of his own before this and has never been able to fully rejoin us. We miss them both. 

Yogafriend has put in a valiant effort to get us back on our feet, but it may be too big a task for one person. I have now sunk so low as to venture into the Politics forum which is mainly a bunch of partisan bickering and name calling. Even the Red Sox forum doesn't have the same vibrant feeling it once had. 

This music forum had become my go-to spot, where you could engage in interesting discussion with very little personal attacks. Sad to say, I feel it is almost futile to post here any more.

So in that sad spirit, I offer a couple of songs. Is it over? I hope not. I miss the discussions we had here.

[/QUOTE]
    I appreciate your words, discouraging as they may be; I agree that even with a more quiet presence that we've experienced during the summer in the past, this is due to the BDC transition, a storm we did not recover from, that was such a disruption, people became too disgusted to bother (with the forums) any longer.  I know that no one would have left because of the quality of the discussions, and in fact, it's sad that the place where discussions had quality content, is the place that has been deserted.   As I said to Polar not long ago, maybe we should have been name calling, insulting each other, and told each other to shut up all day, (and adopted sock puppets) and we would still have a following.  :D   Okay, you get my point.

As for where I post on news and such, I am a digital subscriber to the Boston Globe, and needless to say, it is like day and night from what you see on BDC.  Not the same posters, and some of the commenting is of very high and interesting quality.   There are posters whose comments are something to look forward to, and I have made some "friends" there who seem to know me, too, and value my perspective.  Not perfect, by any means, but for the most part, an interesting community.  The threads are crafted in a way that you can reply to someone, and keep on track just with those responses, too.    As for how a news / politics forum works (in general), and how the one here works in particular, I don't see any point in making comments in discussions that lead no where.  Additionally, I like to read the news pieces that interest me, and that includes editorials, fee-based material, and self-select them, and if inspired, comment right at the source, not post a comment on an article that has been copied and pasted from another source.   I rarely read the News / Politics forum here anymore, and in the event I do, nothing ever changes.    Nothing to gain, at least for me.    I've never learned anything there.  I've never ever seen anyone say, hey, thanks for your perspective.  Have you?   There is zero synergy.  I'm a weirdo and have different reasons to post, and boredom is not one.  

As for other social networking, my professional arena had a bit of a blow up about 6 weeks ago, and that has captured my attention in a big way.  The entire situation has been fascinating, and I am absorbed in a way I didn't expect.   Rather historic, in fact.   It's partly because of the number of ways we can now communicate, and some disagreements about it, but this is the part you will love:   no one posts anonymously, it's all above board, so no matter what you say, it is out in the open.  A breath of fresh air, especially with people who truly lay it on the line and are not afraid to do so.  In most cases, the posts all have sig blocks, with title,  with full ID.   

DD, before I forget, also, I heard another phenomenal Richard Thompson song, "I Feel so Good" and listened to a bunch of songs off of the "Rumor and Sigh" album.   I have you to thank, I just cannot get over how fantastic he is. 

Posting here and there is one thing, but getting the actual energy and momentum back is a different story for this forum, as the synergy has been lost.   However, I will stick around, come what may, even though my energy level (not my interest in the topic) has diminished.

Thanks, DD, and I hope all's well.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

[QUOTE]

I appreciate your words, discouraging as they may be; I agree that even with a more quiet presence that we've experienced during the summer in the past, this is due to the BDC transition, a storm we did not recover from, that was such a disruption, people became too disgusted to bother (with the forums) any longer.  I know that no one would have left because of the quality of the discussions, and in fact, it's sad that the place where discussions had quality content, is the place that has been deserted.   As I said to Polar not long ago, maybe we should have been name calling, insulting each other, and told each other to shut up all day, (and adopted sock puppets) and we would still have a following.  :D   Okay, you get my point.

As for where I post on news and such, I am a digital subscriber to the Boston Globe, and needless to say, it is like day and night from what you see on BDC.  Not the same posters, and some of the commenting is of very high and interesting quality.   There are posters whose comments are something to look forward to, and I have made some "friends" there who seem to know me, too, and value my perspective.  Not perfect, by any means, but for the most part, an interesting community.  The threads are crafted in a way that you can reply to someone, and keep on track just with those responses, too.    As for how a news / politics forum works (in general), and how the one here works in particular, I don't see any point in making comments in discussions that lead no where.  Additionally, I like to read the news pieces that interest me, and that includes editorials, fee-based material, and self-select them, and if inspired, comment right at the source, not post a comment on an article that has been copied and pasted from another source.   I rarely read the News / Politics forum here anymore, and in the event I do, nothing ever changes.    Nothing to gain, at least for me.    I've never learned anything there.  I've never ever seen anyone say, hey, thanks for your perspective.  Have you?   There is zero synergy.  I'm a weirdo and have different reasons to post, and boredom is not one.  

As for other social networking, my professional arena had a bit of a blow up about 6 weeks ago, and that has captured my attention in a big way.  The entire situation has been fascinating, and I am absorbed in a way I didn't expect.   Rather historic, in fact.   It's partly because of the number of ways we can now communicate, and some disagreements about it, but this is the part you will love:   no one posts anonymously, it's all above board, so no matter what you say, it is out in the open.  A breath of fresh air, especially with people who truly lay it on the line and are not afraid to do so.  In most cases, the posts all have sig blocks, with title,  with full ID.   

DD, before I forget, also, I heard another phenomenal Richard Thompson song, "I Feel so Good" and listened to a bunch of songs off of the "Rumor and Sigh" album.   I have you to thank, I just cannot get over how fantastic he is. 

Posting here and there is one thing, but getting the actual energy and momentum back is a different story for this forum, as the synergy has been lost.   However, I will stick around, come what may, even though my energy level (not my interest in the topic) has diminished.

Thanks, DD, and I hope all's well.  

[/QUOTE]

Things are kind of turbulent in my life now. My wife's job was "eliminated" after working for the company for 38 years. I work for the same company, which unfortunately is going through a bad time due to new management that doesn't value long term employees. It may turn out to be a blessing in disguise for her, as the stress of the job wasn't good for her health. But she is still hurting from the sting of rejection. Her elimination shocked many employees, as she had a reputation of sharing her time and her knowledge with many who depended on her. Many tears were shed by those who worked most closely with her.

Your approach to forum participation is quite unique and valuable. You bring a special perspective to this forum. I tend to be a debating type, which is often difficult when ideology and beliefs come into play. I feel kind of guilty that I have influenced you in your music interests, when I seem to be more set in my ways and tastes. Your approach of coming here to learn and grow is admirable, and very rare. I commend you for it.

I'm glad you have been turned on to Richard Thompson. "Rumor and Sigh" is the album that first turned me on to him, then I had to delve into his entire back catalogue including the albums with his then wife Linda. I became a real die-hard Richard Thompson fan. I'm always excited and pleased to turn someone on to musical performers who I think really merit it.

Looks like the activity has picked up a bit here lately. Maybe it was this thread that sparked it. I'll try my best to build on it and keep the ball rolling. Here's a jaunty little song from Richard Thompson to try to lift our spirits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJFwfWSsXEg" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJFwfWSsXEg

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]

Things are kind of turbulent in my life now. My wife's job was "eliminated" after working for the company for 38 years. I work for the same company, which unfortunately is going through a bad time due to new management that doesn't value long term employees. It may turn out to be a blessing in disguise for her, as the stress of the job wasn't good for her health. But she is still hurting from the sting of rejection. Her elimination shocked many employees, as she had a reputation of sharing her time and her knowledge with many who depended on her. Many tears were shed by those who worked most closely with her.

Your approach to forum participation is quite unique and valuable. You bring a special perspective to this forum. I tend to be a debating type, which is often difficult when ideology and beliefs come into play. I feel kind of guilty that I have influenced you in your music interests, when I seem to be more set in my ways and tastes. Your approach of coming here to learn and grow is admirable, and very rare. I commend you for it.

I'm glad you have been turned on to Richard Thompson. "Rumor and Sigh" is the album that first turned me on to him, then I had to delve into his entire back catalogue including the albums with his then wife Linda. I became a real die-hard Richard Thompson fan. I'm always excited and pleased to turn someone on to musical performers who I think really merit it.

Looks like the activity has picked up a bit here lately. Maybe it was this thread that sparked it. I'll try my best to build on it and keep the ball rolling. Here's a jaunty little song from Richard Thompson to try to lift our spirits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJFwfWSsXEg" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJFwfWSsXEg" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJFwfWSsXEg

[/QUOTE]

Very sorry to hear re: your wife being unceremoniously downsized.  As you said, no matter what is said, it's impossible not to take it personally.   In this day and age, the generation coming up is no longer thinking in terms of staying at a job for any length of time, but it will not be any easier for them than for any generation to keep being a change agent over a lifetime.   I agree that when something happens that is out of our control, it often is a blessing in disguise, or at least, a mixed blessing.  I'm sure you two live within your means and while she is regrouping, hopefully, the time off will help her relax and heal.
    BTW, if you feel it will make her smile, feel free to tell her that I was once downsized over the phone ... !!  I can laugh about it now (reminds me of those jokes re: breaking up a relationship via text messaging), but it wasn't too amusing at the time.  In fact, we were all blind-sided.   Because there was no advance notice at all, I decided to take a personal day the day the axe was to fall, and the VP actually called me mid-afternoon on my cell .. while I was in my car.   She said, "are you on the road" after which she said that she would call when I was home, safely.   I got home, and waited for her to call ... like by then I hadn't figured it out.   Funny, but this organization has won awards as a top place to work in the state and I did get a severance package.   Still ... by phone?  :D

Man, don't feel guilty at all re: influencing me.  I think you have excellent taste, and you've backed up how you feel substantially, and unapologetically.  Yes, this place would never have been as interesting to me if we hadn't developed it into an atmosphere of offering knowledge and advice, and it's not as though I've liked all of the music I've tested along the way.   But the forum has influenced me to a great extent, and it's all positive.   As for how I spend my time online, it's not as though I don't waste time, believe me, but as I said, if I fixate on the idea that I'm not learning anything, it's very easy for me to break away.  I haven't read a comment on the front end of BDC (where news resides) in so long I can't even remember the last time I bothered.  I may read an article, but the comments?  Never. 

As for Richard Thompson, yes, you should feel good that you were in part responsible for introducing him, at the very least, to me.  (or anyone else that may be out there ...)   The thing is, I may not have really listened to the songs I hear on the radio, without that point of reference, and it never would have occurred to me to buy an album.  

Funny, you know, that the forums were shut down this morning ... after discussing the BDC forum fiasco in this thread.    Couldn't help but laugh.   Time will tell re: the life of the forum, but I stand by the sentiment that it's not the same, and I'm not sure, if/when we can get back on track.  Lucky me, I have my notebook to keep me busy. :)    I'll be around.  Take care, DD. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to WhatNowDoYouWant's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't hear any fat ladies.... 

I think it's just a combination of BDC's redesign problems, people being busy, people taking regular breaks, and inertia....

[/QUOTE]

Correct as usual.  I've been on hiatus for a while but I've actually got a new thread in mind that *might* be interesting.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

@yoga, thanks for the sympathetic response. Change is inevitable in life, and it's not always for the better. All we can do is adapt and make the best of it. It's tough times that make you look at your life and what you really value. In the end, you have to believe in yourself and value your accomplishments and know that other people can't take away your pride in yourself and the work you have done.