It's the CanCon thread, eh?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Re: It's the CanCon thread, eh?

This is an interesting band out of Montreal called the Dears that I saw open for Keane a few years ago. They are a prog rock/indie band often compared to the Smiths and Lush. Here is a clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0zRxxBKZ1A

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Sam Roberts is one of the artists Matty mentioned earlier.  I don't know how to describe him except that he's a little retro and really good.  Maybe I should turn the job of describing him over to the folks at AllMusic.com.  Here is their review of his latest album.

Sam Roberts' fifth album Collider finds the Canadian rocker doing what he does best: cranking out thoughtful, melodic, midtempo rockers that hit the sweet spot between radio-friendly slickness and singer/songwriter intelligence and deliver almost an hour of classic rock-inspired goodness. While some of his records in the past have toyed with alt-rock noise jams or sweeping prog rock concepts, this time out he’s content to stick to the middle of the road. This isn’t a criticism at all. Roberts is so adept at crafting simple, memorable rock songs, and his persona is so charming and direct, that he doesn’t need to do anything too flashy to make an album work. In fact, the only moments that don’t work on the album, like the jittery, horn-filled opener "The Last Crusade" or the jam band-fake funky "Let It In" are the moments when he tries to stretch out a little. The album really gets going when Roberts and his always sympathetic band stick to the basics. The easy choogling "Without a Map" or the driving rocker "Sang Froid" are examples of how they can make a simple song work by added energy and passion, not tricky arrangements. A song like the soaring "No Arrows" could even be a hit if the stars aligned just right. Along with rocking the rockers like a champ, Roberts proves to be a fine balladeer on the handful of songs that slow the tempo; showing great depth of feeling in the quietly rollicking "Twist the Knife" and the weary-sounding "Partition Blues." Like he has through most of his career, Roberts comes off like the guy on a team who doesn’t seem to be doing much, but if you took him out of the lineup, the team’s fortunes would plummet. He rarely makes mistakes, never embarrasses himself, and always turns in a solid performance. He may not win awards or get commercials, but he’ll get the job done. It may not sound very rock & roll when you put it like that, but even rock & roll needs unspectacular sparkplug-types, and with Collider, Roberts proves himself an essential part of the R&R landscape.

Here is the single from the Collider album, I Feel You.  Great song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2qjnvC9LaA

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

One of the saddest occasions in Canadian music history for me personally was when the original Odds split up in the late Nineties.  It was kind of a shock for me because I had just become a huge fan of theirs.  I thought their third album, Good Weird Feeling, and their fourth and final album, Nest, were both among the best stuff I had ever heard from a Canadian band. 

To me Odds were Beatlesque in the ingenuity and craft in their songs.  In fact, true story, right around that time, Sir George Martin was planning a farewell tour of Canada, and he contacted the Odds to see if they would be interested in being part of the show.  They said yes, but unfortunately Martin had some sort of change of plans.  This is what happens when you're the Canadian Beatles.  It's like the Canadian Football League.

Odds had two very talented songwriters and guitar players in Craig Northey and Steven Drake.  After the band split, Northey went on to do solo work and has also collaborated on albums with Colin James, Rob Baker of The Tragically Hip and Jesse Valenzuela of Gin Blossoms.  Drake did some production but otherwise disappeared.

A few years ago the band re-formed as The New Odds, with everyone back except Drake.  The reunion album, Cheerleader, was good, but not quite as good as I was hoping.  There was something missing, and I suspect that it was Drake's half of the material. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Japandroids.   They are from the far-off land of Vancouver, BC (far from Halifax).   

Japandroids had, by some accounts, one of the best albums of 2012 (their second studio album).     Indie / garage / alt.  

Recent additional fame has come from their single, "The House that Heaven Built" which is now the entrance song for the Vancouver Canucks.   I don't follow hockey, but you don't have to follow hockey to have picked up on this (well, at least I picked up on it ...):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKeER-FnhEM

and

Continuous Thunder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AztLPSGcow

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

One of my all-time favorite lyrics is 'Mercy to Go' from the Odds and Craig Northey.  It's not too often you get this kind of subtle commentary on human nature in a pop/rock song.  I also enjoy the fact that its meaning is so clearly articulated.  You don't have to guess.  This song is about those people who are a burden in your life that you somehow have to deal with.  There is also a gorgeously bittersweet guitar solo at the end of the song.

My heart's getting bigger so I need a new pant size
    When you're the tower of strength people climb up your backside
    So you don't stay that way too long
    You're only temporarily strong

I've got mercy, mercy to go
    And then it's all gone

You don't swim up and grab a drowning man
    'Cause he'll use you as a life raft if he can
    It's better to hold a out a branch
    Then the tree, and then the whole ranch

'Cause I've got mercy, mercy to go
    And then it's all gone

As I mature I learn to speak my mind
    On the other hand I learn to be patient and let it ride
    Between these two traits is a line
    You step on it all of the time
    Why do these things always happen to you?
    I wish I had the time to let them swallow me too
    When we count up all of our wounds
    You're the desert, I'm one of the dunes

I never met a manipulator that wasn't paranoid
    They see in themselves what in others they should avoid
    All the devious plans aren't there
    Ghosts fly out from under their hair
    And I get to hear about it, and it comes in heavy waves
    And I'm lying under your downer, with no breathing space

And I've still got mercy, mercy to go
    And when it's all gone
    I guess it's all gone