Jackson Browne

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Jackson Browne

This sunday will be a milestone for me - first time seeing Jackson Browne play live - at the Newport Folk Fest.  :))

For me, Browne represents big influence as a writer and mentor to a hefty slate of southern california-inclined artists (The Eagles, Ronstadt, Zevon, et al.)...as well as numerous affected singer/songwriters.  I think he carried on some of the aesthetic advanced by Gram Parsons - mellow country rock with a conscientious, personal quality.

I wonder, too, if it's harder now to see what a domitable presence he was in the 70s/early 80s.  Even a quick glance at his career is impressive: 

Rock Me On The Water, Take It Easy, Looking Into You, Doctor My Eyes, These Days, For A Dancer, Late For the Sky, The Pretender, The Load-Out, Running On Empty, Somebody's Baby, Lawyers In Love, and so on.

He seems pretty close to a living legend...can't wait to see him play.

Opinions??  How about Suggestions for further listening...??

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Jackson Browne

In Response to Re: Jackson Browne:
    I saw him in Worcester earlier this year.  I'm sure he'll have about 18 flattops lined up on stage.  I expect you'll have alot of middle aged women yelling out requests and expressing undying love for Jackson.  He takes it well,  but it got annoying after a while for me, because it never let up the entire show. But for further listening I recommed 'Jamacia Say You Will', one of my favorites, and 'Going Down to Cuba'.
    Posted by SlimPickensIII

Good point.  I hadn't even thought of his 'heartthrob' status, but it sounds like many ladies at your show certainly did.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Great artist.  Some of my other lesser-played favorites of his:

Shaky Town
    Disco Apocalypse
    Call It a Loan

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Late for the Sky is one of my wife's favorite songs, period.  It was her that pointed out to me that the song is excerpted in the movie 'Taxi Driver'.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I was a little late catching on to the brilliance of the man.

I never owned a Jackson Brown LP on vinyl.

I now have them all on CD.

I play 'Lawyers In Love' and 'Lives In The Balance' quite often. I love the title song to 'Lives In The Balance.' It has become one of my favorite songs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bombah. Show bombah's posts

Jackson Browne put his politics ahead of commercial success.Inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame by Springsteen who said the Don Henley(Eagles) wished they wrote songs like Jackson Browne.And Don Henley nodded his approval.The chicks loved Jackson Browne.The quinttessential singer/songwriter of the seventies.His politics turned off the public from the early eighties on.My favorite is Running on Empty.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Why listen to Dawes when the real deal is still going strong?  :)

Hope he puts on a great concert and makes everyone happy.  Might be the chance of a lifetime to see him at Newport.   I hope so.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

A little trivia on Jackson.  In the late 60's he almost hired some backing musicians that went on to become one of my favorite bands.  In his words:

But I wound up leaving New York shortly after spring. Back home I was all set to have this group, the Soft White Underbelly, as my backup band. I spent a week trying to figure out some arrangements to my songs that would fit this band, but it didn't matter because they later became Blue Oyster Cult. They were great musicians, they really were. And they played my songs really well. I'm afraid I was the least proficient musician among them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

A little trivia on Jackson.  In the late 60's he almost hired some backing musicians that went on to become one of my favorite bands.  In his words: But I wound up leaving New York shortly after spring. Back home I was all set to have this group, the Soft White Underbelly, as my backup band. I spent a week trying to figure out some arrangements to my songs that would fit this band, but it didn't matter because they later became Blue Oyster Cult. They were great musicians, they really were. And they played my songs really well. I'm afraid I was the least proficient musician among them.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

This is perfect example of a square peg in a round hole.

Blue Oyster Cult were indeed a great band. I am not sure they would have made it if they tried to play as Jackson Browne's backup band. They are best suited for the type music that made them (somewhat) famous. Jackson Browne wrote some great songs. Well, suited for the Eagles or Linda Ronstadt. BOC is at their best when they are playing and singing about large reptilian monsters, extraterrestrials, and vampires. Jackson Browne doesn't write too many sci-fi/ horror songs.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Since all posts from yesterday have been poofed by BDC, I'll add a comment to this thread (and I apologize for the repeat if you read my comments in yesterday's poofed thread) :)

WUMB livestreamed the entire Newport Folk Festival, with Browne headlining on Sunday, capping the 3-day event.  I wasn't there, granted, but I logged onto the livestream, and his performance was inspirational.   Not only were his vocals clear and heartfelt, I liked the way he showcased other musicians that were on the stage.  Seeing the concert this way was an amazing opportunity that doesn't often happen, and thanks to WUMB, some of us were able to take advantage of it.  

When Matty is around, he'll be the best person to give a review firsthand; I'll be surprised if he doesn't have a favorable review.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Since all posts from yesterday have been poofed by BDC, I'll add a comment to this thread (and I apologize for the repeat if you read my comments in yesterday's poofed thread) :) WUMB livestreamed the entire Newport Folk Festival, with Browne headlining on Sunday, capping the 3-day event.  I wasn't there, granted, but I logged onto the livestream, and his performance was inspirational.   Not only were his vocals clear and heartfelt, I liked the way he showcased other musicians that were on the stage.  Seeing the concert this way was an amazing opportunity that doesn't often happen, and thanks to WUMB, some of us were able to take advantage of it.   When Matty is around, he'll be the best person to give a review firsthand; I'll be surprised if he doesn't have a favorable review.  
    Posted by yogafriend

Great show...so happy to have been there...and the rain proved to be only a minor inconvenience (on Sunday anyway).  But those are the breaks come summer in New England and a "rain or shine" ticket.

And as it happened, the guys from Dawes were very competent backers for Mr. Browne (my problem with them was always their songs, not their playing).

As for the man himself, JB was magical.  My opinion has grown tenfold since.  He really does have a very distinct voice unlike any other...(well-aged)...it perfectly straddles that line between dark and light, never pitchy, and never tries to do too much.  His head and heart are united behind every word, and it shows.

The rest of the weekend was pretty awesome, aside from the weather in some spots, with several favorites putting in great sets and few new favorites discovered along the way.  Got some great swag and convo from the vendors, a very respectful, fun audience mostly void of the usual trappings (though hardly immune), and a genuine respect for the music.

Bonus: Mrs. Matty insists it's the best festival we've been to so far, so all is cuddly on the home front and promising for next year, too!  :))

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Added bonus: The final jam with JB, Jon Wilson, Dawes, Sara Watkins, et al., and the irrepressible Tom Morello on a scorching read of "Lawyers, Guns & Money" was all-time...unforgettable and a personal high.  Apologies to those who had to leave early due to the rain.

Sections
Shortcuts