jazz, anyone?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

jazz, anyone?

I LOVE jazz...there, i said it.

I have always loved it, i took a history of jazz course years back and it really opened my eyes up to a lot more.  my brother is a professional jazz pianist and he really opened my eyes up to all the different sub-genres, some truly mind-blowing stuff. jazz musicians are incredible.

i had the pleasure of seeing Dave Brubeck a little over a year ago...and in his old age, he still has the stuff. the man is a living legend.

my favorite though - b*****es brew by miles davis

thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: jazz, anyone?

I don't own any 'pure' jazz recordings but I certainly like a lot of jazz-rock or jazz-tinged rock...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Well, first, let me say that I completely respect the jazz genre - it takes real talent to be a good jazz musician.

However, personally, it doesn't reach me.  I am a "color inside the lines" kind of gal.  A math degree.  An engineer.  A rule follower.  Boring?  Maybe.  But, it makes me happy, and it's just who I am down to my analytical, perfectionist molecules.  A perfect meter and sticking to it is a necessity for me to relax and enjoy the music.  The haphazardness that makes jazz what it is makes me tense and stressed out.

Something about it, though, is still appealing - maybe the look of contentedness on the faces of the people playing and listening (all but mine).  If I could watch jazz, that'd be better. ;)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i listen to jazz on NPR everytime i'm in the car at night. so soothing. eric in the evening i think

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

My dog was named after Thelonious Monk, Yea I like Jazz

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm sure it would, Greg - I'm not 100% sane to begin with!

(By the way, my brother went to Berklee years ago.)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I love jazz.  I love the focus on the music rather than on the lyrics.  I think Combustication by Medeski Martin and Wood is phenominal.

For newbies to jazz, I recommend "Kind of Blue" by Miles Davis, "Maiden Voyage" by Herbie Hancock.

Jazz is so hard to understand.  I quit trying and decided to just enjoy it.  I had great seats for Keith Jarrett a few years ago at Symphony Hall.  He was there with his trio.  They were playing their a55es off and suddenly ended the song.  The three musicians looked up at each other and started laughing.  I wish I knew what they were laughing about. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I listen to "Eric in the Evening" (also, when I am in my car) and love it.  It's honestly, the only resource I use to learn or listen to jazz on any programmed basis.   

From normal, standard exposure I like many of the standard greats such as Cassandra Wilson and Sarah Vaughan.  He's probably the lowest common denominator now, but I like Wynton Marsalis. When classified as a jazz singer, Nina Simone is smokin' hot.

Just remembered, I own a Keith Jarrett recording that is outstanding.   Got to take that out and give it a listen. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

A really good resource to get more exposure to Jazz is Pandora.com.  Create a radio station based on a jazz musician that you like and Pandora will offer up music by that muscian as well as other musicians playing similar music.

I created a station for Medeski Martin and Wood and got turned on to Will Bernard, Ron Stanton, Charlie Hunter.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Being a deadhead, I have found that there is a similarity with many of the Grateful Dead's jams and free form jazz jams which is the path I followed to discover jazz.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In Response to Re: jazz, anyone?:
    [QUOTE]Being a deadhead, I have found that there is a similarity with many of the Grateful Dead's jams and free form jazz jams which is the path I followed to discover jazz.
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

If you listen to live recordings from Miles Davis during his B1tches Brew days, it sounds a lot like Jerry and the boys from the same era.   They had to be influenced by each other.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]I listen to "Eric in the Evening" (also, when I am in my car) and love it.  Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

i shall think of you tonight while i join eric for a few tunes between practices :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Being a deadhead, I have found that there is a similarity with many of the Grateful Dead's jams and free form jazz jams which is the path I followed to discover jazz.
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

Jazz musicians have a long history of enjoying reefer, too, so there's defintely a connection.
    Smile

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: jazz, anyone? : i shall think of you tonight while i join eric for a few tunes between practices :)
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]
    I'm with you on that.
    Wink

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Love me some good jazz...I have a pretty solid collection covering ground from the 40s to the present day but centered on the golden age of the 50s and 60s, then dipping into fusion and the 70s.  It's usually covers 25% of my ipod.

From The Bird, Dizzy, and Miles on to Monk, Mingus, and Brubeck to Hancock, Corea, McLaughlin, Metheny and so on...there's nothing quite like it for creating a mood or sustaining it for a length of time. 

But Coltrane will always be my favorite (with Miles a razor-thin second)...for me it doesn't get much better than "My Favorite Things", "Giant Steps" or "Afro Blue".  I, too, prefer more instrumental works to vocals but it's fun to mix it up.

Some of my favorite rock is jazz- or improv-oriented: the Dead, Allmans, Traffic, Steely Dan, Phish, etc. (I have decidedly mixed feelings about so-called 'smooth jazz' - which to me is a whole different genre.)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i'm back to eric in the evening, it always cracks me up when he says piano...he pronounces it "p'yano" and it gets me every time

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

straight no chaser baby

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Ditto on kudos for Medeski, Martin & Wood - never boring, outstanding musicians, and their approach to jazz is always reverent, not derivative.  "Combustication" is an excellent disc, as is "End Of The World Party" and their live shows with Phish from the mid-90s.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvJzCdgB3Tc&feature=related

Play Loud

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Nobody's mentioned Dexter Gordon yet. He might have the best tenor sax tone ever.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QbyBMaMbX4&feature=related
    I've also gotta love any incarnation of the Jazz Messengers. A night in Tunisia with Lee Morgan on trumpet and Wayne Shorter on tenor just might be my favorite album ever.
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x526wa_art-blakey-the-jazz-messengers-a-ni_music
    As far as more modern stuff, I really like the Brecker Brothers and the Crusaders. Yeah, I like jazz.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: jazz, anyone? : Ornette Coleman will land you in a rubber room :-) Time is a funny thing.  Jazz newbies at Berklee (I teach there) try to F with it for the sake of F'ing with it.  That never works, and I've been there too. The aforementioned Dave Brubeck's Take Five is named such because it is in 5/4 time.  Thats complex time (any odd number other than 3 is), but its VERY popular nonetheless. Pink Floyd's Money changes from 7 to 4 and back again, and yet white people can still dance to it at weddings without noticing.  Yea, I'm a jazz guy
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

As justifiably popular as Brubeck's Take Five is, my favorite from his Time Out album is Blue Rondo a la Turk, which has its own rhythmic complexity - the middle section is straightforward 4/4 but bookended by propulsive, borderline frenetic, piano-centric sections in 9/8 time, which alternates between groupings of 3+3+3 (the normal way of breaking down 9/8) and 2+2+2+3 (which I think is the "a la Turk" grouping).  Thrown in are a couple of measures where the 3+3+3 is actually played as 2+2+3, which creates an amazing effect and leads inexorably first to the middle 4/4 section and then to the end.  So much for my 2 cent analysis - if you don't know the tune, check it out!

Other rock songs with unusual time signatures - Peter Gabriel's Solsbury Hill is mostly in 7/4, while Jethro Tull's Living in the Past and Pete Townshend's Face Dances (part 2) are both in 5/4.  There are probably others that I'm not recalling...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I have a respect for Jazz and loved what Beck did to fuse it with Rock. I am familiar with those jazz pieces which have become standards in American music, but could not recite titles or musicians.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: jazz, anyone? : Miles was doing a tad more than reefer.

I think a list of what he didn't do would be shorter than what he did take.

The problem with his drug use was that some people thought that to play like him, you had to drug like him.  Same with Charlie Parker.

His B1tches Brew type stuff was definitely influenced by acid.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

DWL,
    I signed on to Pandora.  I don't know why I waited so long.  I've been enjoying some jazz and don't need to rely on (just) NPR anymore.  
    Great recommendation, thanks.  (cost-effective, too)

Smile

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: jazz, anyone? : I recorded myself on acid way back when.  Thought I was Hendrix.  Until I listened to the tape the next day.  Yikes!

LOL. Tough act to follow, indeed...

...and yet another reason why Hendrix is and will always be The Man.

(I tried painting while on acid once...I ended up with more paint on myself than on the canvas.  I looked like one of those carnival spin-art things threw up on me....)

Sections
Shortcuts