jazz, anyone?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

Re: jazz, anyone?

all i can think of is always sunny in philadelphia when frank puts acid in charlie's beer and he puts on the green man suit

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

In Response to Re: jazz, anyone?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: jazz, anyone? : As justifiably popular as Brubeck's Take Five is, my favorite from his Time Out album is Blue Rondo a la Turk, which has its own rhythmic complexity - the middle section is straightforward 4/4 but bookended by propulsive, borderline frenetic, piano-centric sections in 9/8 time, which alternates between groupings of 3+3+3 (the normal way of breaking down 9/8) and 2+2+2+3 (which I think is the "a la Turk" grouping).  Thrown in are a couple of measures where the 3+3+3 is actually played as 2+2+3, which creates an amazing effect and leads inexorably first to the middle 4/4 section and then to the end.  Posted by gerbs[/QUOTE]

my favorite jazz tune ever

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I made a foray into jazz several years ago. My first purchase was a collection of Big Band Swing. Some of the songs really caught my ear so from there I went further into some individual artists. I tried some early Louis Armstrong recordings from before he became a big pop star. I must admit I didn't really get into his small combo recordings, but I blame my lack of musical sophistication and not Armstong's chops. He is a huge figure in establishing the foundation of jazz and all that came after him. I also tried recordings by Count Basie, and my favorite jazz artist of all, the great Duke Ellington. I even moved out a little further into some less "structured " jazz (if it can be said to have a structure) into the Bebop artists Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, and Thelonious Monk.

In the end, I guess I'm mainly into swing jazz and more of a greatest hits of jazz kind of enjoyment rather than getting heavily into any one performer. The only exception to that would be Duke Ellington, whose music just blows me away. I am in awe of the body of work he created and how consistently great it is. The song that really hooked me into Ellington is "Take the "A" Train." To my ears, that song could be a number one pop hit in any era. It's a classic of American popular music. I completely understand the sentiment in Stevie Wonder's song "Sir Duke". Duke Ellington is a giant of jazz and an American icon.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: jazz, anyone?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: jazz, anyone? : I recorded myself on acid way back when.  Thought I was Hendrix.  Until I listened to the tape the next day.  Yikes!
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]I had a very similar experience to that. It's incredibly difficult to keep a guitar in tune when you're tripping...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i love the responses to this thread. jazz has the best name for a genre. two z's!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/miles-davis-quintet/concerts/fillmore-east-march-06-1970-late-show.html

Its a free stream, just have to give up your e-mail address.

This is a real good site for all types of live concerts (R&R and Jazz) if you like live music. 95% of the recordings are of high quality

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Clifford Brown was an absolutely phenominal jazz trumpet player on the national level.  In my opinion, he had the "complete package" and was possibly better than Miles Davis.  Unfortunately, Clifford Brown's second serious car accident killed him when he was only 29-31. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkingTheWalk. Show WalkingTheWalk's posts

All that jazz!

My grandfather turned me on to the big band sound way back when. Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Earl Hines, and more.

Then one of my uncles took me to the '69 Newport Jazz Festival and I've never looked back. Imagine a weekend of music seeing, amongst others; Mile Davis, Roland Kirk, Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers, Blood Sweat and Tears, Sly and the Family Stone, John Mayall, B.B.King, Jeff Beck, Led Zeppelin, and then topped off with a healthy dose (one, maybe two tabs) of Frank Zappa and the Mothers Of Invention.

Yikes! I was a rollin' and a stumblin'...

Needless to say I was instantly into the whole festival thing and have been ever since. I've been back to Newport many times but nothing has quite lived up to that magical weekend of music on Narragansett Bay.

I've been to festivals and concerts all over the world and as I'm living in Europe again get to revisit some of my favorites. The North Sea Jazz Festival moved since the last time I was here from Den Haag down to Rotterdam so I'll be going there in July to check out the new setting at the Ahoy Centre. Montreux in Switzerland is still on the shores of Lake Geneva but I'll probably go to that one next summer. Wynton Marsalis hosts a festival in Marsiac, France and I'd like to get back to that one. There are also other festivals in Dublin, London, and Prague that I can hear calling out to me.

I too love listening to Eric in the Evening; not only playing the music but giving the background info and personal insights - very cool. If you get a chance give a listen to WICN, 90.5 on your FM dial. Twenty hours of jazz a day - and some very cool and knowledgeable DJs.

Did I mention how much I love jazz Cool

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts