Jeopardy! Drummers category

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Jeopardy! Drummers category

I rarely watch Jeopardy! (love the show, just don't get to it too often) but I did last night, and as fate had it, there was a category called "Drummers" and one of the contestants CLEANED UP the entire category.   I'm sure that all of the regular forum members would have cleaned up, too.   

They're in a semi-final round of the Tournament of Champions, so the contestants are from the top tier.   If you're a regular fan, you probably saw many of these contestants when they won in their initial round.  

I wish I had written down the initials, but they went by pretty fast; these are the ones I remember:

Gina Schock  -   (for 2K)
    Stewart Copeland 
    Tommy Lee
    Charlie Watts (lowest amount -- $400)  doesn't get much easier 

Can't think of the others ... sorry.  Easy money, right?  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Jeopardy! Drummers category

I don't watch much T.V. anymore, I practically grew up up in front of the tube, however.

Besides Red Sox and NASCAR, I watch mainly CNN, check the weather and I kind of liked Touch, but I understand it is being cancelled. I was watching The Following, but circumstances arose forcing me to miss two episodes. Now that I've missed so much, I doubt I'll pick up the series...it's only supposed to be 15 episodes. However, Jeopardy is a show I will watch on occassion, I get frustrated becuase even though I know alot of junk, there will always be a category that I know absolutlely nothing about.

Rock, Science Fiction, Sports , History and a few other select subjetcs I can do okay. I totally strike out when they have a category like Opera or Musicals, Reality T.V. or Foreign Languages.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I don't have a tv.  Mainly because I think most of what's on offer is trash, and partially because IMO I have more important things to spend my time on e.g. partner, children, friends, music, Pike, Softlaw, etc.   I'm also keenly aware that I have a very obsessive nature so try to keep non-important things at arms length.

But, when asked about it, I take great pleasure in responding in a snooty accent "I don't own a television machine".

Anybody know why?  {edit:  if anyone gets it, I'll send them a package of ace rock'n'roll vinyl records....up to 2 kg (6-7 LPs or 20-odd 7" singles)}

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Oh well, nobody guessed it....it was from the Dick van Dyke show....one episode where he told a snooty woman he wrote for tv and she replied "I don't owwnnn a television machine.".  I love telling people that in that way.  Shame, was a top prize!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Who played drums at "the first" Rolling Stones gig?  My alltime fave drummer, Mick Avory.

What musician - a drummer - has most astonished me by what they can do on stage?  Dave Goldberg of the Box Elders.  Lead vocals, drums and keys simulaneously.  Think about it.

Underrated?  Ringo Starr.

Overrated?  Too many to mention.

Mind blowing?  The London Dirthole Company.

Bore me?  Muscular, attention-seekers like Animal from the Muppet Show.

Fave rhythm section ever, by far?  Mike Watt/George Hurley.  By Far.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I think Billy Martin of Medeski Martin and Wood is a phenomenal Drummer.  It's jazz sort of, but Martin is not a typical Jazz drummer.  when I listen to MMW, I find myself focusing on drummer.  And then on the piano/keyboards, and then the bass player.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to DirtyWaterLover's comment:

I think Billy Martin of Medeski Martin and Wood is a phenomenal Drummer.  It's jazz sort of, but Martin is not a typical Jazz drummer.  when I listen to MMW, I find myself focusing on drummer.  And then on the piano/keyboards, and then the bass player.  

I tend to only like complimentary drummers like Mick Avory....and Ringo....there's a contemporary drummer, Bruce Brand, that is IMO brilliant in the same way.  I'm in no way diminishing their skills vs more muscular or flamboyant drummers....in fact I'd argue the opposite i.e. it's more difficult to stop your percussion from dominating the sound.  It's just a personal preference......I don't hear much nuance in drumming.

Sections
Shortcuts