Johnny Marr: under / over rated, meh / what say you?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Johnny Marr: under / over rated, meh / what say you?

It's been said that Johnny Marr is one of the most talented guitar players in rock history; once again, I guess that depends on who you ask.   

Regardless, since the breakup of the Smiths in 1987, Marr's been at work with some excellent bands such as Electronic, the The, Cribs, and Modest Mouse.   As you may recall, he recently appeared with Dinosaur Jr. to rave reviews.   

You may have heard that Marr's first solo release in a decade, The Messenger,  will be available in the US at the end of February.    He released a video for a single from the album not long ago.   

To accompany his status as one of the most influential guitar players to hit the stage, he also has a sterling reputation as one of rock's "nicest" and "refreshingly unassuming" musicians (cue the "dreams and idealism" thread ...).    Many current fans of Marr may or may not have cared for the Smiths; no matter, Marr's career is one success after another for the past 25 years.  

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Johnny Marr: under / over rated, meh / what say you?

I love the Smiths. I am very familiar with Marr's work with Electronic and Kirsty MacColl.

What I always felt about Johnny Marr is that he does not steal the spotlight away from the vocalist, like Hendrix, Stevie Ray  or Blackmore most certainly would.

Another terrific guitar player who comes to mind is Tony Iommi , who let Ozzy or Dio be the center of attention ( as Johnny Marr did with Morrissey). These players played lead guitar but were more like the average bass player... staying within the song and not trying to be a guitar god. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

The best thing about Marr is his ability to elevate a song without even knowing he's there.  Something will sound great, then you look it up...yup, there's Johnny again.

The The is a perfect example.  Modest Mouse is another.  Even the soundtrack to Inception. He even played on one of my all-time favorite 80s tunes - "(Nothing But) Flowers".

Plus, the guy really gets around...the perfect sideman...and yet the one time I saw him with The Healers, he was phenomenal.

I don't think he's under- or over-rated, though.  He's a huge acknowledged influence on the millennial generation of bands.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

dupe

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

I have found Marr to be underated. Kind of along the lines of what Zilla said Johnny doesn't seem to like to promote himself or take the spotlight (which is why I don't get how he and Morrisey can't get along). There is some footage on you tube of one of the Gallagher bros from Oasis talking about Johnny's brilliance and how he has tried to play like him but no one can. I know Modest Mouse fans that have told me their best album is when Johnny worked with them. I have seen a couple of Morrisey tours. Lately he has been doing more SMiths tunes on tour. While it is still his voice his guitarist can't even come close to the sounds Johnny Marr can get from his guitar. He opend a concert recently with How Soon Is Now. The guitart work at the beginning almost made it sound like a different song.

I like his sound as well because to me it has life and vibrance. I listen to Clapton who many consider one of the greatest. I find his stuff boring.. Again just me.. not trying to criticize

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Marr's playing has given birth to countless immitators, and some of music's best call him a major influence, Radiohead being the most well known.  His guitar work has been called deceptively innovative and distinctive, you know when you hear it. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to leafswin27's comment:

I have found Marr to be underated. Kind of along the lines of what Zilla said Johnny doesn't seem to like to promote himself or take the spotlight (which is why I don't get how he and Morrisey can't get along). There is some footage on you tube of one of the Gallagher bros from Oasis talking about Johnny's brilliance and how he has tried to play like him but no one can. I know Modest Mouse fans that have told me their best album is when Johnny worked with them. I have seen a couple of Morrisey tours. Lately he has been doing more SMiths tunes on tour. While it is still his voice his guitarist can't even come close to the sounds Johnny Marr can get from his guitar. He opend a concert recently with How Soon Is Now. The guitart work at the beginning almost made it sound like a different song.

I like his sound as well because to me it has life and vibrance. I listen to Clapton who many consider one of the greatest. I find his stuff boring.. Again just me.. not trying to criticize

Might have been artistic differences and Morrissey jealous (? anyone know?) that Marr was stepping out to work with other artists.    Whatever it was, the ship has sailed on a Smiths reunion, let's face it.  

I don't know precisely why, but when it was announced that Morrissey was planning to retire in a year or two, no one seemed to particularly care.   Maybe the fact he is taking his time with a 2-year good bye tour?

The Smiths broke up in 1987, and Marr is still only 49 years old; so young when he was with the Smiths -- he has plenty of years ahead of him.   

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts