Keith Moon invited to play at the Olympics

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Keith Moon invited to play at the Olympics

SMH. From yahoo.com:

Ever since Beijing put on one of the most spectacular coordinated displays in human history at the 2008 Olympic opening ceremony, observers have wondered how London could possibly improve on it. This would be a start.

Organizers for the 2012 ceremony recently asked the manager of The Who if legendary drummer Keith Moon would be able to perform at the London Games. It was a fine idea, except that Moon has been dead for 34 years.

Bill Curbishley told Metro how he responded to the request.

"I emailed back saying Keith now resides in Golders Green crematorium, having lived up to The Who's anthemic line 'I hope I die before I get old,'" he said. "If they have a round table, some glasses and candles, we might contact him."

That's well done, Bill. Well done.

The surviving members of The Who, Roger Daltrey and Pete Townsend, still tour and are expected to play some role in the Olympic festivities. Nothing against the band who gave the world "Quadrophenia" and "Tommy," but if you're going to go for big names to play at the Olympics, why not try and get John Lennon and George Harrison to stage a Beatles reunion? Go for the gold, as they say.

Earlier this week, it was reported that Johnny Rotten of The Sex Pistols turned down an invitation to play the closing ceremony. No excuse was reported. Whatever it was, I doubt it was as good as Moon's.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Keith Moon invited to play at the Olympics

You've gotta be kidding me.

How stupid can people be?

Johnny 'Rotten' Lydon and the Pistols were banned from playing after they recorded 'God Save The Queen'...(the fascist regime..) ...and now they want him to represent England?...they want him now, hated him then....he's turning down this invitation for the same reason he wouldn't attend the Rock 'n'Roll Hall of Fame ceremony. He's not going to change. He is anti-authority, anti pomp and circumstance, anti royalty ...besides he's Johnny Rotten, he doesn't need an excuse to do anything!

I wouldn't want him any other way.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Keith Moon invited to play at the Olympics:
    [QUOTE]You've gotta be kidding me. How stupid can people be? Johnny 'Rotten' Lydon and the Pistols were banned from playing after they recorded 'God Save The Queen'...(the fascist regime..) ...and now they want him to represent England?...they want him now, hated him then....he's turning down this invitation for the same reason he wouldn't attend the Rock 'n'Roll Hall of Fame ceremony. He's not going to change. He is anti-authority, anti pomp and circumstance, anti royalty ...besides he's Johnny Rotten, he doesn't need an excuse to do anything! I wouldn't want him any other way.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

VERY

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Yeah . . .  I would agree that people can be pretty stupid, but I think we sometimes forget that there are vast segments of the population who care nothing at all about the things we care about. Granted, it's pretty strange for someone to know that Keith Moon once drummed in The Who, but not to know that he excessed himself to death decades ago . . .  but then again, prominent quasi-newspeople with vast resources at their disposal don't know that Louis C.K. pronounces his name Louie and not Lou-iss.

But mostly what this snippet reminded me of was that old Chevy Chase bit about generalissimo Francisco Franco still being dead.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Keith Moon invited to play at the Olympics:
    [QUOTE]Yeah . . .  I would agree that people can be pretty stupid, but I think we sometimes forget that there are vast segments of the population who care nothing at all about the things we care about. Granted, it's pretty strange for someone to know that Keith Moon once drummed in The Who, but not to know that he excessed himself to death decades ago . . .  but then again, prominent quasi-newspeople with vast resources at their disposal don't know that Louis C.K. pronounces his name Louie and not Lou-iss . But mostly what this snippet reminded me of was that old Chevy Chase bit about generalissimo Francisco Franco still being dead.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

I am in hysterics right now remembering that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Monty Python's Flying Circus have occasionally included Graham Chapman in their reunions, even though he died many years ago.

I know of one apperance where Chapman's ashes are brought out in an urn and they even ask him questions.

I'll bet there's lots of people who don't know he is dead.

Heck, I don't keep track of all celebrities either. But before I invite them to my parties , I am going to do some checking.

Especially if I'm Great Britain and have the resouces to make sure I don't embarass myself.

But , when has England ever worried about embarrassing itself?

Is Margaret Thatcher still alive? I wonder if she's invited.