KISS (Artist of the day) - fact or fiction

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

KISS (Artist of the day) - fact or fiction

One of the most debated issues in RnR is KISS.

There is no question that they are one of the richest bands ever. There is no denying Gene Simmons business acumen. He's f'n labeled and marketed everything about the band. Some say that his whorishness has destroyed much of the KISS legacy. Their live album was re-engineered to the point where some do not even consider it a live album. They never made any bones about the fact that they picked up instruments as a way of getting ladies. And I do not believe they ever had one glowing review from anyone.

But

They brought live shows to a whole new level. They are the kings of anthemic music. And they continue to sell out wherever they play. Fan or unfan - everyone knows Kiss and can sing along to at least one of their songs.

Were KISS a good thing or bad? We know that there are certain committee members of the RnR Hall of Fame who have sworn on their grave that KISS will never be inducted (Dave Marsh).

So let the games begin. What do you think of KISS?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Re: KISS (Artist of the day) - fact or fiction

Yes to Kiss. Love their act more than their actual music. Destroyer is their only album I ever owned. Their music is probably more like what Arnold Schwarzenneger is to acting though .... and I like Arnie.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Detroit Rock City is a good album for sure.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I think of Kiss as a highly successful commercial venture moreso than I think of them as musical artists.  Which isn't to say they haven't produced some very enjoyable tunes.  But I think their success has been way out of proportion to the quality of their musical output.  Their true genius has been in the image, the packaging, the theatrical flair and the showbiz savvy.  They played here in Halifax last year and I had absolute zero interest in seeing them.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

If you think of music as entertainment, and admit that there's a visual component, I think the fact that a lot of people dismiss Kiss's music is a point in their favor. Plenty of bands with arguably more "talent" never found their niche, while Kiss reached iconic status for the totality of their presentation -- sophomoric as it may be. I tend to think that the simple bombast of Kiss causes people to denigrate the music without really listening to it. I've never seen the show, but I remember liking the tunes well enough when I was in the target demographic (which I believe is the six months before and after your 13th birthday). Still and all, you can count me among those oddly curious about who is still paying money to see Kiss live.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I always viewed them more as a circus type act than a rock act.

Alice Cooper turned rock into some sort of visual theatre , but I always felt the music of Alice Cooper stood on it's own without the visual, where Kiss needed the visual because the music was not that different or spectacular ( I have well over 4000 CD's and zero by Kiss) on it's own, while I do find a number of their songs to be decent, I was never really "wowed" by anything they did.

Maybe it's because that about the time that Kiss was finding it's fame , I was maturing and listening to music with more a socio-political leaning ( David Crosby's , "Almost Cut my Hair", Young's, "Ohio", Graham Nash's "Chicago" , Deep Purple's "No, No, No" , Black Sabbath's "War Pigs" etc.) I found the music of Kiss to be more for the 12 year old's than for people like me who were now in the latter stages of High School and waaaay more mature for this certainly phony homogenized "Heavy Metal" group....they even had dolls of these guys!!!...if you brought home a doll of Ozzie Osbourne in 1975 they would have you committed!!!, but if you had a Gene Simmons doll it was kinda cute. This was not what Heavy Metal was all about. It was a marketing strategy that paid off, much like Many of the 80's hair bands , who were mainly posers playing stolen riffs and getting rich with other people's material and lots of hairspray and makeup( Once Bitten Twice Shy -the only version I listen to is the Ian Hunter original).

All I can say is, they were better than the trend that was soon to follow them ....disco.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I will say that musically, they were much better once Fox and Kulick joined after they went sans make-up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Bands suchs as Blondie are in the RnR HOF and KISS isn't!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: KISS (Artist of the day) - fact or fiction:
    I will say that musically, they were much better once Fox and Kulick joined after they went sans make-up.
    Posted by jesseyeric

You have to be kidding me.  Whatever musical edge they had turned to jello once the de-masked (well, a bit before that [see Dynasty], but still ...)

I mean, look, they obviously shouldn't be, and aren't, mentioned in the same breath as the great bands of their time (70s, anything after is calculated drivel), but, I will give you a playlist to consider, and, once you're through listening, you might have to give them credit for actually turning our some kick azz r&r.  As a guitar player, I think these cuts have (albeit simple) some of the hottest riffs/grooves.  Riffs that changed the way the game was and is played:

Firehouse
    Hotter Than Hell
    Strutter
    Cold Gin
    She
    Detroit Rock City
    Shock Me

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: KISS (Artist of the day) - fact or fiction:
    Bands suchs as Blondie are in the RnR HOF and KISS isn't!!!!
    Posted by NumbaFouwer

I'm with you 100%. I've been saying this for years. I was never a member of "The Kiss Army" and quite honestly never owned any Kiss albums but these guys changed Rock and Roll and influenced rock and roll for years to come. See Motley Crue. They have written a lot of "Commercial" rock songs but they did it good. They knew how to write music that sounded good and they put on a show as good as anyone back then. To further exemplify your point..Prince is in the Rock and roll Hall of fame but Kiss isn't. Prince may be a good guitar player but calling him a rock and roller is a tiny stretch.

Sections
Shortcuts