Lady Gaga

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Lady Gaga

I was never a big fan of Lady Gaga, but her performance at the Grammy's was impressive.  Her interview on 60 Minutes was good and got me interested. 

I usually don't like acts like hers - too much BS.  But she seemed different.  It wasn't just some mindless performance where she moves here and then moves there because someone told her to.  She was into it.  The effort was genuine.  It was an honest performance.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Lady Gaga

I have to admit that I did not watch her performance although your take on her performance last night is not the first I read.

Sadly, 1st impressions work on me and my first impression of Lady Gagme was very low. Maybe one day I will check her out, but not just yet.

FYI - Her style is still a complete rip-off of Dale Bozzio of Missing Persons.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Although I don't care much for her music, my overall impression of Lady Gaga is that she knows EXACTLY what she is doing and that, maybe, we should underestimate her at our own risk.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin. Show leafswin's posts

Ive got no use for her or her music, She probably has the talent but the style is not for me

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Her performance (didn't see it) notwithstanding, she doesn't interest me on any level.  I get nothing from her.   Don't feel anything from her music (the bit of it that I have heard).  I just draw a blank.  Just don't care. 

Seems she would be great as an act in Las Vegas.   Or a catch in a broadway musical, on the stage, where she could put her theatrics to good use.  

Nothing against her, just have less than zero interest in her.  She does have talent, and she knows how to market herself, but I look at her and I just don't feel the love.
    Laughing

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

yeah the only time i like her is when i see her on youtube before she was famous killing it on piano

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I'm a fan of music but not of performance art. The visual aspect of a musical performer's act means very little to me if the songs don't hook me. Don't really know any songs by her so I can't say if I like her music. It's all about the music for me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The ridiculous outfits and antics turn me off.

I could respect any artist if they weren't seemingly ripping off so many other artists.

As jessey indicates she has stolen the look of Bozzio, the marketing antics of Madonna, she does a song that reminds me of an old ABBA song, and to some extent the costumes and make up hark back to Alice Cooper and David Bowie in the early years.

The comment to the press that "America wants me to fail" sets up the Gaga vs. the world" image that I believe she craves so much.

Frankly , I have more respect for groups like Lynyrd Skynyrd that show up in street clothes and look like regular folk.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Beleive it or not there was a void in Pop/Techno that Madonna left when she stopped putting out music at the same pace she use to. Plus a new generation had come around and she slowly became less relevant. When I see Lady Gaga, I see Madonna, stepping in and taking over her base if you will. She is even more eccentric than Madonna ever was, but if you talk with her she's seems more grounded and not as caught up in her fame as much as Madonna was.

She has an impressive run of hits for the short time she's been around, will she top Madonna's body of work...we'll see if she can evolve, and stay current long enough. 

She is one of the most thankful artist to her fans that I have seen. I have never bought any of her music, but I don't mind listening to her. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

everyone has influences, i don't think she claimed the style as her complete own creation...though she is making enough money to quite literally do whatever the heck she wants.

i read a story about lady gaga's artist friend who died before gaga became gaga...and apparently the whole image thing was inspired by her friend. so much so that it seems almost lifted

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I read that same thing ph. I even think there is a pending lawsuit.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Just because you don't like her doesn't mean she isn't good.  I'm not rushing out to buy any of her records, or anything.  I'm just saying that I have a new found respect for what she does.  She's definitely not a Britney Spears.  I was just impressed by the effort that she gave.

I would put her in the same category as Eminem.  I'm not a big fan of Rap, but I was blown away by his performance on SNL a few weeks ago.

It's the effort, the energy, and the honesty that I respect.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

eminem is a lyrical phenom, the marshall mathers LP cemented that...butin terms of lyrical prowess it's all been downhill since there. CRAZY rhyme schemes.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

That's the funny thing about style in art...sometimes it can carry the day, but in almost every case, style will only get you so far before a lack of substance becomes your undoing.  How far is restricted only by viewers attention spans.

Gaga seems like an intelligent woman who understands a few salient points about art and entertainment: 1) you'll never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator; 2) to "shock" and "solicit attention" are the same activity producing much the same result; and 3) "artistic integrity" is an illusion created mostly by and for wags and the rest of the commentariat. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

3) "artistic integrity" is an illusion created mostly by and for wags and the rest of the commentariat. 

i like that a lot

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I'll say this for Lady Gaga.  When I'm in the car with my teenage daughter and the radio is under her control, Lady Gaga's songs make me feel less like impaling myself on the gearshift than most of the other stuff.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Lady Gaga:
    [QUOTE]I'll say this for Lady Gaga.  When I'm in the car with my teenage daughter and the radio is under her control, Lady Gaga's songs make me feel less like impaling myself on the gearshift than most of the other stuff.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

There's a ringing endorsement for ya:

"Lady Gaga's new record, "Nice N' Sleazy"...it's so good, you might NOT intentionally crash your car while listening...!!"

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]I'll say this for Lady Gaga.  When I'm in the car with my teenage daughter and the radio is under her control, Lady Gaga's songs make me feel less like impaling myself on the gearshift than most of the other stuff.

I agree 100% Hfxsoxnut (My girls are a little younger).  Plus she has a serious Gluteus Maximus.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

Well, my opinion of her remains decidedly negative. 

I don't really care for any aspect of a performance that is not directly keyed to the music.  She puts on a visual spectacle, but any time I actually listen to one of her songs, I die a little on the inside.

Physical performance always seems to detract from the music.  For example...

When Axl was at his best (87-89, imo), he generally stood in roughly the same spot and sang his *ss off.  Later on, he started running a marathon around the stage every concert.  That, plus the cigarettes, destroyed his voice.  He'd be panting into the microphone.

Ditto, though not as bad, for Jagger.  Early performances, before they got huge, he barely had anywhere to move (as per Keith's autobiography) - small venues, no space.  So much more attention went into singing, with some of his silly dancing on top.  By the time they get big, he's dancing/running all over the damn stage...  distracts from the vocals.

Of course those were 'actual' musicians.  Today's pop stars make me sick - the entire performance is "here's shiny lights, here are breasts, and there are some dancers".  The music?  I hate to call it that. 

So while Gaga may know exactly what she is doing as an entertainer, I am not entertained....  when I hear her stuff played I ask, rudely, "what the #@*&$*# is this crap?"

Bitterly yours.... 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Ah, the "lesser of two evils" argument.

I used this one both times I voted for Dubbya Bush.

Shows how wrong people can be. Also how sad the modern pop music scene is when we judge what's "good" in pop music...it's the stuff we can listen to without carrying a barf bag with us.

I've stopped kicking myself for voting for Bush, but the fact remains that most of the choices we make in today's world involves choosing the lesser of two evils....remember when there were actually two great T.V. shows on and they aired at the same time?...(before VCRs?)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

OK, a few random comments...

I would say she has talent, and smarts.  She seems to have co-writing credits on all the songs.  I don't know if she writes words or music or both.  She's obviously very derivative but maybe there's something original there too.  It might be too early to say. 

Some of us who were around for the 60's-70's might forget that although we had a lot of great and serious musicians to listen to, we also had a lot of commercially contrived stuff back then too. 

One of the other super-popular female singers right now is Pink.  She's very  talented from what I've heard so far.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Sir Lady Gaga

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

A local fashion designer gets Gaga's attention / endorsement. I actually think it's cool if a fashion designer gets a break like this, especially since Gaga's purchase was out of the blue... in the Globe today:

"Marblehead native and designer Sally LaPointe, 26, showed her fall/winter 2011 collection at New York Fashion Week on Friday night. But unlike her first show here last fall, this time the eyes of the fashion elite watched closely. After pop superstar Lady Gaga plucked a LaPointe-designed black jersey dress to wear at last month’s Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, the designer has found herself on the brink of the big time."

"The fact that Gaga wore a LaPointe creation made perfect sense. The designer’s spring collection was based on the idea of going mad, and the dresses and jumpsuits were over-the-top, fanciful, and not exactly something the average woman would wear for a night on the town."
    Laughing
    Full article, if you're interested:
    http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/fashion/articles/2011/02/17/marblehead_native_and_fashion_designer_rides_celebrity_wave/

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

The Lady Gaga image what's behind it all?  $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $.

Sections
Shortcuts