Least Favorite.......with a twist.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Least Favorite.......with a twist.

What group and/or artist do you hate that every other human on the planet seems to love?

For me it Eric Clapton.  I cannot listen to him or Cream without getting the dry heaves.  I don't know why but I'd rather listen to a chipmunks Album. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Least Favorite.......with a twist.

There is very little point in us discussing music anymore.

You have sinned and the wrath of the rock'n' roll world shall be upon you.

Go listen to your chipmunks and pray the lord doesn't read these boards with any kind of regularity.

Next thing  you'll be saying you hate Ritchie Blackmore, and I will get really mad.

Remember what happened to Tokyo?

My God, "White Room" is one of my all time favorites.

While Clapton is not "God", he may be the closest thing to it in the world of guitar playing. He inspired legions of young Brits to pick up a guitar in the 60's. Classic rock as we know it would never have existed without E.C.

For me it was Sonny and Cher. When I was growing up everbody was in love with these "make believe beatniks" , who were dominating T.V. and the top 40. Yecchh!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

In addition to Eric Clapton, Bruce Springstreen.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

In Response to Re: Least Favorite.......with a twist.:
    There is very little point in us discussing music anymore. You have sinned and the wrath of the rock'n' roll world shall be upon you. Go listen to your chipmunks and pray the lord doesn't read these boards with any kind of regularity. Next thing  you'll be saying you hate Ritchie Blackmore, and I will get really mad. Remember what happened to Tokyo? My God, "White Room" is one of my all time favorites. While Clapton is not "God", he may be the closest thing to it in the world of guitar playing. He inspired legions of young Brits to pick up a guitar in the 60's. Classic rock as we know it would never have existed without E.C. For me it was Sonny and Cher. When I was growing up everbody was in love with these "make believe beatniks" , who were dominating T.V. and the top 40. Yecchh!!!
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

See That Zilla I'm probably the only human that can't stomach Clapton.  By the way I am by no means demeaning his or Creams greatness and impact they have had on music.  It's just that his voice must resonate at a pitch and tone that triggers the hate hormones in my brain. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Bruce Springsteen

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Aw Tcal -- you're killing me. Clapton's Layla is absolutely my favorite song of all time on many levels.

As for the thread, I have two:
    U2
    The Police/Sting.

For both, I can just quote what Tcal said about Clapton: "It's just that his voice must resonate at a pitch and tone that triggers the hate hormones in my brain."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Bruce Springsteen,Foreigner,Police/Sting and that twerp Phil Collins

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Pink Floyd.  very annoying

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

You people are absolutely killing me.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

The Eagles

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Wow, I see folks ripping Pink Floyd and Springsteen and think, "what the hell??" Then I remember ... oh, yeah, that's the point of this thread.

I'll back Tcal2 on Clapton, but with an asterisk. I love much of his stuff. "Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs" is a terrific album, and I loved his work with Blind Faith, Cream and the Yardbirds. Unquestionably one of the best R&R guitarists ever.

But ... he's done some truly awful stuff. Given a choice between jamming a letter opener through my ear canal or listening to "Cocaine" or "I Shot the Sherrif," I'd choose the former. Ditto "Lay Down Sally."  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Lloyd, your take on EC seems to be the same as mine.  I was a fan of his right up until 'I Shot the Sheriff'.  To me that was a wrong turn from which he never totally returned.  

Now everybody run for cover, for the Lizard King's wrath shall soon befall us.  And Tcal is the guy who history will hold responsible for the mayhem in the music forum.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

Lady Gaga. Just the thought makes me gag and my skin crawl. Fortunately I can pretty much completely avoid anything to do with that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Springsteen   and     DMB

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Lloyd, your take on EC seems to be the same as mine.  I was a fan of his right up until 'I Shot the Sheriff'.  To me that was a wrong turn from which he never totally returned.   Now everybody run for cover, for the Lizard King's wrath shall soon befall us.  And Tcal is the guy who history will hold responsible for the mayhem in the music forum.   
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

I could try ( in vain , most likely ) to convince the Clapton bashers of his 50 years in the business. Of his unquestionable influence on almost every guitar player who followed him. The great albums and singles the live appearances, his association with the Beatles,B.B. King, Steve Winwood, Bob Dylan and other giants of rock and Blues history.

But , I won't waste any more time. If you don't like his work ...you likely have your reasons and, hey, let's face it ,appreciation of music is all based on personal opinion and taste.

I honestly love 'I Shot the Sheriff' and there is a live version on the Crossroads box set that has an extended instrumental guitar part at the end that just sends me into 7th heaven.

Clapton is a Blues purist who was mistaken for a Rock and Roller for many years. He was very much a bridge between Blues and Rock in the 60's paving the way for groups like Ten Years After, Butterfield Blues Band, Fleetwood Mac, Foghat, ZZTOP, Jimi Hendrix Experience,Robin Trower, Led Zeppelin and all the other groups that used the Blues/ Rock style.

Perhaps the people who do not care for the later Clapton are not big Blues fans , as his music has moved away from straight rock to more blues heavy in the solo years of his career.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Now , Pink Floyd.

I am not sure how to tackle this one.

But how on God's green Earth does anyone who is a fan of classic rock not like Pink Floyd?

The early Syd Barrett Pink Floyd I can understand, but everything from Meddle to present is just so awesome.

Animals , Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, the Wall, Division Bell, Sound of Distant Thunder, and a big favorite of mine , the Final Cut are among the great albums of all time.

Is it possible that the depressing lyrics and subject matter turn people off?

Most likely. I actually like this style music better than songs like "Shiny Happy People" which just sound so phony in a world so full of misery.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

I hate to pile on,  but I cannot stand Pink Floyd either.  Partly it's the dark, depressing tone. Partly it's that they play the same handful of tunes incessantly on every station I have programmed on my Car stereo.  And finally, it's just not very musical to my ears.  It's synthentic, it doesn't sound like musicians are producing it with their own hands.  

You reach a certain age, you don't want to be depressed by music.  Life will have been giving you a beating by then as it is.  Same reason I can't watch any film that features someone dying of cancer.  Seen it several times for real, why the hell would I want to voluntary relive those experiences.

I'm mystified by Nirvana's popularity too.  Especially when anyone tries to claim they were doing something new.  Been there, heard that,  right from day 1 with those guys.  And new was all they supposedly had, they were pretty weak musicians.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I hate to pile on,  but I cannot stand Pink Floyd either.  Partly it's the dark tone. Partly it's that they play the same handful of tunes incessantly on every station I have programmed on my Car stereo.  And finally, it's just not very musical to my ears.  It's synthentic, it doesn't sound like musicians are producing it with their own hands.  I'm mystified by Nirvana's popularity too.  Especially when anyone tries to claim they were doing something new.  Been there, heard that,  right from day 1 with those guys.  And new was all they supposedly had, they were pretty weak musicians.
    Posted by SlimPickensII

I am one of those people who likes art with a dark or twisted subject matter. I like dark movies ( Blade Runner) I like Salvador Dali paintings,  and I like a group that perhaps you should avoid listening to, The Sisters of Mercy.

This is why I like Pink Floyd, I guess.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

I hate to pile on,  but I cannot stand Pink Floyd either.  Partly it's the dark, depressing tone. Partly it's that they play the same handful of tunes incessantly on every station I have programmed on my Car stereo.  And finally, it's just not very musical to my ears.  It's synthentic, it doesn't sound like musicians are producing it with their own hands.   You reach a certain age, you don't want to be depressed by music.  Life will have been giving you a beating by then as it is.  Same reason I can't watch any film that features someone dying of cancer.  Seen it several times for real, why the hell would I want to voluntary relive those experiences. I'm mystified by Nirvana's popularity too.  Especially when anyone tries to claim they were doing something new.  Been there, heard that,  right from day 1 with those guys.  And new was all they supposedly had, they were pretty weak musicians.
    Posted by SlimPickensII

I've heard this before about Pink Floyd, and though I understand it, I don't agree.  There is definitely a place for introspection in popular music (i.e. Leonard Cohen), and "depressing" is often in the ears of the beholder.  Floyd is one of those bands, IMO, whose work approaches the symphonic, and that type of music is not for everyone.

They Might Be Giants wouldn't necessarily occur to people as being dark and depressing.  I mean, they make records for kids. Their song "Don't Let's Start" has a lyric: "Noone in the world ever gets what they want, and that is beautiful.  Everyone dies frustrated and sad, and that is beautiful."  If you know the song, you know how upbeat and cheery the music is. A depressing thought conveyed in a non-depressing way is somehow less depressing, don't you think??

As for Nirvana, I agree they weren't new (SLTS has the exact same riff as 'More Than A Feeling')...but I also think they were aware of that, too...which is why Cobain thought they didn't deserve all the adulation they received.  In the end, he just couldn't take it.  But I disagree that they weren't good musicians.  I think Dave Grohl is one of the best drummers around today, and Cobain was a very skilled guitarist as evidenced by his unplugged performance.  Their mystique is very much grounded in the brevity of their existence.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

In Response to Re: Least Favorite.......with a twist. : I've heard this before about Pink Floyd, and though I understand it, I don't agree.  There is definitely a place for introspection in popular music (i.e. Leonard Cohen), and "depressing" is often in the ears of the beholder.  Floyd is one of those bands, IMO, whose work approaches the symphonic, and that type of music is not for everyone. They Might Be Giants wouldn't necessarily occur to people as being dark and depressing.  I mean, they make records for kids. Their song "Don't Let's Start" has a lyric: "Noone in the world ever gets what they want, and that is beautiful.  Everyone dies frustrated and sad, and that is beautiful."  If you know the song, you know how upbeat and cheery the music is. A depressing thought conveyed in a non-depressing way is somehow less depressing, don't you think?? As for Nirvana, I agree they weren't new (SLTS has the exact same riff as 'More Than A Feeling')...but I also think they were aware of that, too...which is why Cobain thought they didn't deserve all the adulation they received.  In the end, he just couldn't take it.  But I disagree that they weren't good musicians.  I think Dave Grohl is one of the best drummers around today (and a decent songwriter), and Cobain was a gifted guitarist as evidenced by his unplugged performance - an overachiever in some ways.  Their mystique is very much grounded in the brevity of their existence, just like Buddy, Jimi, Janis, etc.
    Posted by Mattyhorn

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Least Favorite.......with a twist. : I've heard this before about Pink Floyd, and though I understand it, I don't agree.  There is definitely a place for introspection in popular music (i.e. Leonard Cohen), and "depressing" is often in the ears of the beholder.  Floyd is one of those bands, IMO, whose work approaches the symphonic, and that type of music is not for everyone. They Might Be Giants wouldn't necessarily occur to people as being dark and depressing.  I mean, they make records for kids. Their song "Don't Let's Start" has a lyric: "Noone in the world ever gets what they want, and that is beautiful.  Everyone dies frustrated and sad, and that is beautiful."  If you know the song, you know how upbeat and cheery the music is. A depressing thought conveyed in a non-depressing way is somehow less depressing, don't you think?? As for Nirvana, I agree they weren't new (SLTS has the exact same riff as 'More Than A Feeling')...but I also think they were aware of that, too...which is why Cobain thought they didn't deserve all the adulation they received.  In the end, he just couldn't take it.  But I disagree that they weren't good musicians.  I think Dave Grohl is one of the best drummers around today, and Cobain was a very skilled guitarist as evidenced by his unplugged performance.  Their mystique is very much grounded in the brevity of their existence.
    Posted by Mattyhorn

Good points. Especially the They Might Be Giants reference.

While not a depressing or introspective song "Istanbul was Constantinople" always was a favorite of mine. Kind of a novelty song , I guess.

Sorry to change the subject.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Chicago,U2,The Hooters. I'm sure there are others I'm not crazy about but those three top the list. Not a big Police fan but liked a few songs. Forgot to add Bon Jovi to that list.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Gotta admit, never heard of "The Hooters."
    Chicago did great stuff ... until Peter Cetera (sp?) took over.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Gotta admit, never heard of "The Hooters." Chicago did great stuff ... until Peter Cetera (sp?) took over.
    Posted by LloydDobler

Philly group who went national. 1980's "All you Zombies", "And we danced." One of them wrote "Time after time" for Cyndi Lauper. They were played a lot in Philly because they were from there.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Gotta admit, never heard of "The Hooters." Chicago did great stuff ... until Peter Cetera (sp?) took over.
    Posted by LloydDobler

Wasn't either Robert Lamm or Cetera the lead singer in most of their songs?