Led Zeppelin or AC/DC? Check in.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Led Zeppelin or AC/DC? Check in.

Which song do you prefer?

"Whole Lotta Rosie" by AC/DC  or  "Whole Lotta Love" by Led Zeppelin?   

Don't give Led Zepp a free pass from the classic standpoint, I mean, which song do you really prefer?  

Also ...

Any comments on the back story to "Whole Lotta Love" regarding a law suit for lifting it from an old blues song?   Anyone know anything about that?   Not that it matters particularly when it comes to your likes or dislikes, but as long ago as it was, there are still a bunch of diehard fans that seem to keep bringing it up.  Not sayin' anyone here does -- but if you know or care to share any thoughts on the matter, please do so.    :)    

So, what do you think?  Please weigh in.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Led Zeppelin or AC/DC? Check in.

I love Zeppelin and I rate them much higher than AC/DC, primarily because of Jimmy Page who I consider to be one of the grand masters of modern music.  Page's genius elevated Zeppelin into a different realm.

As for the lyrics and the debt to the blues artists, Zeppelin was clearly guilty of some serious ripping off on the first two albums and they should have been made to pay for it in some way financially.

AC/DC is simply a great boogie band.  If Bon Scott had lived they might have reached greater heights musically, I think they were more adventurous when he was part of the band. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Whole Lotta Love is another one of those Led Zeppelin songs that held up through 3,779 listenings . . .

But not 3,780.

Much like Stairway to Heaven, if I never hear it again, that will be just fine.

Whole Lotta Rosie is hardly my idea of a classic, but it's fun and it has the added appeal of not having been driven into my skull every waking minute of every living day for most of my teenage years.

So . . .  for those perfectly selfish reasons, I would go with AC/DC in this particular case.

It's a funny thing, though: There are Led Zeppelin songs I can't ever get enough of . . .   Gallows Pole, for instance . . .   Whole Lotta Love just isn't one of them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

As much as I love AC/DC; 9 out of 10x, I will choose Zep. However, in this case, I will choose the boys from down under. Whole Lotta Love has always been my least favorite Zep song.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I try not to rate one song against another.

I hate making music which is an artform into a competition.

Our society, which is very sports obsessed, is always trying to make everything a competition.

The artist in me likes to think that any artwork I create would be appreciated as is without being held up to higher standards of the great impressionists or Rembradts and Dalis.

I would like to think AC/DC creates music to be enjoyed and not to be held up against legends of rock music such as Led Zeppelin , who revolutionized the music so much more than AC/DC. AC/DC did nothing to break new ground or very little to expand on something that already existed. They just made some really neat hard rock music that I like alot.

It's kind of like comparing songs of Foghat to songs by the early Fleetwood Mac or the old John Mayal Bluebreakers or the Yardbirds. Foghat did nothing new but lots that was exciting and fun to listen to, not to mention more corporate ( a term I hate, but it seems to fit) because the music is more "radio friendly" , another term I hate.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Can't comment on the songs 'cause I've never heard "Whole Lotta Rosie". Not a big fan of either band, but I lean toward AC/DC because they have a sense of humor that I find is lacking in Zep's "heavy" rock.

Check out this Youtube three-parter on Led Zeppelin's plagiarism:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyvLsutfI5M
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zThdTAWQFAQ&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5uMQDlKn8g&feature=related

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Whole Lotta Rosie - by current preference

IMO, AC/DC is primarily a Led Zep-derived band in which the acoustic, world music, and balladeer (folkie) tendencies have been amputated (probably with a chain saw) and mystique reduced to an english schoolboy's uniform. 

They took the best, loudest, raunchiest parts of Cream/Zep/Humble Pie blooze-boogie and never looked back nor apologized.

It's really hard not to respect AC/DC for their accomplishments or deny their stature as one of the biggest hard rock bands in history.  What you see and hear is exactly what you get, no more or less - in which there's a certain artistic integrity that's difficult to create and even harder to sustain.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Well, it's partly a matter of symmetry to ask about the two songs.  :D    But I do think there's merit is linking them to a certain extent.  

I'm having an AC/DC fling lately, and have a friend who lives in OZ and it's the Aussie way to have fun, laugh (and drink, too, for that matter).  So I'm going with the boys from OZ on this one, too.   

Zilla: Welcome back.  This wasn't a competition ... just askin' for an opinion. :D   Rant was pretty good, though.  :D

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Led Zeppelin or AC/DC? Check in.:
    Well, it's partly a matter of symmetry to ask about the two songs.   :D    But I do think there's merit is linking them to a certain extent.   I'm having an AC/DC fling lately, and have a friend who lives in OZ and it's the Aussie way to have fun, laugh (and drink, too, for that matter).  So I'm going with the boys from OZ on this one, too.    Zilla: Welcome back.  This wasn't a competition ... just askin' for an opinion. :D   Rant was pretty good, though.  :D
    Posted by yogafriend

I like 'em both!

How's that for an honest opinion?

Laughing

When you ask questions like this, it is like asking me if I want the Lasagna or the Ravioli....the Granola cereal with raisins or without.

That wasn't even close to a rant, I'll try harder next time though.

I missed you guys, we have such fun!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

I know it is not a popular stance but I never liked either group. Just not my bag... Both very talented but just never a fan....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

By about 1988 Led Zeppelin had been driving into the ground for me.
    ACDC for some reason never got old to me still crank them when they come on, Zep comes on I tend to change the dial.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

zep. all day long

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

One thing I've noticed over the past, say, 15 years, is that the Bon Scott-era AC/DC output has generally aged much, much better than that of the Brian Johnson-era, and I even include Back In Black in that assessment.

That album, for me, represents more of a bridge than an entirely new direction, as any of those songs could have been sung by Scott with much the same results.  This is not to disparage Johnson who has filled the frontman void well, if not entirely the attitude and raw energy of his predecessor.  I think it's just a bit more calculated and slick - almost but not quite to a fault.

Now, it's certainly possible that the huge popularity and ubiquity of BiB has influenced my preferences on this score, I'll admit.  But 9 times out of 10, I'll go for Rocker or Problem Child than Hells Bells.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

By about 1988 Led Zeppelin had been driving into the ground for me. ACDC for some reason never got old to me still crank them when they come on, Zep comes on I tend to change the dial.
    Posted by shumirules

This is pretty much where I'm coming from.

If you ask me which band is better and more impactful, it's a Led Zeppelin no-brainer . . .  but I still listen to AC/DC and, while I don't actively avoid it, I make no particular effort to hear Led Zeppelin anymore.

I'm not sure I know exactly what ennui is (although I'm almost certain I can guess who among you will tell me), but I think that's what Led Zeppelin induces in me.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I guess my favorite would depend on how I'm feeling or what I'm doing at the time.If I'm in a loud,partying type of mood/atmosphere,I'd go with Whole lotta Rosie.If I'm kicking back,kind of mellowing out,it would be Whole lotta love.I really like both songs though.In fact,Whole lotta love was the song I'd use to test new stereos or speakers that I'd get.Great stereo separation in that song. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

Of course I enjoy them both.  Yet if I crank up the volume for AC/DC it's just for more decibels.  For Zeppelin, I know that I'll continue to find new/subtle artistic brilliance both individually and collectively upon repeat listenings.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lefig. Show lefig's posts

I like both of them but probably have listened to AC/DC (Bon Scott) era more for the past 5 or 6 years. Most of that has to do with already listening to Zeppelin all through out high school. That was the band we all listened to in the 80's and while AC/DC was huge then it was mostly Brian Johnson and a few Bon Scott songs (Highway to Hell, Dirty Deeds, etc.) Listening to Problem Child or Next to the Moon, Sin City and Ride On to name a few now is somewhat newer. AC/DC (during the Bon era) had a dirtyness to it that was fun and nasty, kinda like the Stones at that time and for some reason that keeps it fresher to me. Powerage is a fantastic album.

For some reason out of all the groups I listened to in the 80's heavily (Pink Floyd, Sabbath, Stones, the Who, Beatles, Dead, AC/DC and Led Zeppelin) Zeppelin is the one I listen to the least now.

rob

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I guess my favorite would depend on how I'm feeling or what I'm doing at the time.If I'm in a loud,partying type of mood/atmosphere,I'd go with Whole lotta Rosie.If I'm kicking back,kind of mellowing out,it would be Whole lotta love.I really like both songs though.In fact,Whole lotta love was the song I'd use to test new stereos or speakers that I'd get.Great stereo separation in that song. 
    Posted by mrmojo1120
    Love your new avatar mrmojo.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

you just have to think...if you've heard led zep enough times to be sick of it, what if you heard acdc enough times to be sick of it, then had to choose?

Sections
Shortcuts