Less Mainstream not too Obscure Music/Bands

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JazzyJtotheILL. Show JazzyJtotheILL's posts

Less Mainstream not too Obscure Music/Bands

I'd love to find some new music.. be it the same style I normally listen to or something entirely different. It's easy enough to do so with all the websites like pandora and lastfm.com but quite honestly.. I like to hear WHY people like certain sounds, it helps me look at music or bands I might not otherwise listen to and create some context around it and be more open.

My typical tastes fall in the - techno/trance realm (vandyke, van burren, tiesto, above and boyend, markus shultz) or the gothica/female metal vocalists (Nightwish, Tarja Turunen, Within Temptation, Leaves Eyes) .. I love some eclectic groups (efterklang, mono, mogwai) and even some French Bands (AIR, Obijhou) ..

I'd just like something new really..

have at her :)

To make it a little more fun - put down a (some) favorite memory around it :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from The-dude. Show The-dude's posts

Re: Less Mainstream not too Obscure Music/Bands

The obscure stuff that I've heard, I don't know who they were. But you
      sound like you like Coldplay. I'm sure you know their stuff.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I must admit that I have pretty much been out of touch with the new RnR from this last decade. There have been some bands that have caught my ear, but nothing to make me lose my mind over.

Sorry

As Tull said:

Too Old To Rock and Roll, Too Young To Die

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Jazzy, are you open to suggestions about music from the 60's, 70's , 80's and 90's ?

The artists you list are unknown to me, so I have no point of reference. I know when I was around 20 or so , I didn't want to here about music from the 30's, 40's or 50's...but when I got a little older , I discovered people like Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf , Jerry Lee Lewis and many more artists that were popular before I was born.

It sounds to me as if you are younger than many of us here. Perhaps you wouldn't be interested if I suggested a group from the 80's for instance. I don't want to bore you with old fogey music.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JazzyJtotheILL. Show JazzyJtotheILL's posts

hahahah Zilla.. so long as you promise not to yell at me again for liking hip hop :)

My dad is pretty young, he's 50.. he's got a ton of great bands he exposed me to growing up, as did my mom... anywhere from Fleetwood Mac and Zepplin to Moody Blues and Three Dog Night.. and so many inbetween, above and below them..

But if you have a list - shoot. Because now that all the good classic rock stations are gone,  Icould use a refresher of the music I always loved but never quite went out and bought, because I knew my mom had their record. Well, she doesn't anymore LOL..

so yes, give me some old stuff too :) 

I love it all really.. just tired of the same butt rock out there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Hi Jazzy,

Not particularly obscure, nor new, but a band that has never been wildly commercially popular, but I think you would like is Stereolab.   They may already be on your radar, but if not, check them out.   

Other bands that might appeal to you ...

Also not that obscure (and again, not that new)  -- Muse. 

And Sonic Youth.

Smile

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JazzyJtotheILL. Show JazzyJtotheILL's posts

Hey Yoga.. I always wanna call you Yogi LOL..

I used to be obsessed with Muse... fell of their wagon around 03 or so.. when they got more electronic, (specifically the Showbiz and Absolution) .. even though I love electro music, so I'm not sure what happened there, maybe i should recheck em out. Sonic will always hold a special place in my heart :)

I've heard of Stereolab, haven't really listened to them though.. I will do this RIGHT NOW.  :)

You should totally check out Fever Ray http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYR4kk_jGyQ

and she sings for Royksopp on this song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLpkXtM-VI8

<3

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JazzyJtotheILL. Show JazzyJtotheILL's posts

there's just not enough time in the day to stop falling in love with the sounds...

kills me

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from riotgrrrl. Show riotgrrrl's posts

Hi Jazzy,

You might like Massive Attack and Thievery Corporation. Very cool bands...and not obscure. Sleighbells is a new-ish band that you should check out. They recently opened for LCD Soundsystem.

Also, if you like female fronted bands then listen to the riotgrrrl bands. A few of my favorites are Sleater Kinney, Bikini Kill, The Gits, 7 Year B*tch, Lunachicks, and L7. Great stuff...

When you mentioned liking french bands I thought about Stereo Total. They are a french/german duo that sing in french, german, japanese, english and possibly a few other languages that i'm forgetting about. My brother lives in Germany and his gf turned me on to this band years ago while I was visiting. I always have happy vacation memories when I listen to them!

And I agree with yogafriend on stereolab. Although not a Sonic Youth fan, they are/were incredibly influential. Happy listening!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JazzyJtotheILL. Show JazzyJtotheILL's posts

WWWWOOOOOWWW bringing back Memories with Lunachick and L7!! hahahaha

I have tried Thievory and Massive Attack.. but I'll definitely check out your others :)

yay! thanks

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I always try to sell females on Mofro.   This may not be a good suggestion since I own no techno or rap material whatsoever, but....

I am a guy and dig Mofro. But, chicks are all into it as well, not that it means anything. It's just nice to go to shows where it's not 90% male. heh

Have seen them many times and their shows are as good or better than their records.

If you like soul, swampy funk/blues type stuff where you can easily slip into a groove, I highly recommend JJ Grey and Mofro.

North Florida based band. 

I'll catch them again in January. It's a crime they only get $20 a ticket.

New record was out in August:

http://www.jjgrey.com/music/georgia-warhorse

GREAT BAND that no one really seems to know about which is the norm these days.

The band is really JJ Grey, the songs and his voice. You'd think you walked into Stax studios in Memphis in 1968. Incredible.

Check out Lochloosa from 2004 first.  Grab Blackwater from 2001, their debut and then sample out Country Ghetto and Orange Blossoms if you get into it.

Also, Ryan Bingham and the Dead Horses.    He got a grammy, but his backstory lays the groundwork for his really good songwriting. 

Country/rock/roots stuff.  Great band.

Mescalito from 2007 is easily one of the best debut albums I have ever heard by any artist or band.

These two go under the radar, but they shouldn't. Enjoy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Less Mainstream not too Obscure Music/Bands:
    [QUOTE]hahahah Zilla.. so long as you promise not to yell at me again for liking hip hop :) My dad is pretty young, he's 50.. he's got a ton of great bands he exposed me to growing up, as did my mom... anywhere from Fleetwood Mac and Zepplin to Moody Blues and Three Dog Night.. and so many inbetween, above and below them.. But if you have a list - shoot. Because now that all the good classic rock stations are gone,  Icould use a refresher of the music I always loved but never quite went out and bought, because I knew my mom had their record. Well, she doesn't anymore LOL.. so yes, give me some old stuff too :)   I love it all really.. just tired of the same butt rock out there.
    Posted by JazzyJtotheILL[/QUOTE]

Funny, I don't recall "yelling" at anyone. But it is true that Hip Hop is not something I care for, perhaps you took my "dislike" for this style as "yelling." Sorry if that is how it sounded.

I work with a couple of younger guys who play in a band. These guys are around 21 years old and I am happy to report that they are big fans of Led Zeppelin,Ozzy, Tom Petty, Beatles , Metallica , etc. So there is some hope for the younger generation.

But your o.p. indicates you are more interested in "less mainstream" music. I have been listening to so many bands and so little radio since the 70's that I am not always aware of who is and who isn't  "mainstream" anymore.

These are some groups/artists (manily from 80's and 90's) who I have discovered along the way who I would classify as "less mainstream":

Joe Satriani (rock guitar/mainly instrumental)
    Impelletieri (Heavy Metal)
    Joy Division (gothic/alternative)
    Stan Ridgway ( former leader of Wall of Voodoo , singer /songwriter alternative style rock)
    Front 242 ( aggressive synth rock)
    Ministry ( gothic/synth/alternative)
    Public Image Limited ( alternative band fronted by former Sex Pistol John "Rotten" Lydon)
    Cracker ( alternative)
    Throwing Muses ( alternative band 3/4ths female)
    Dinosaur Jr. ( alternative)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I humbly submit Brian Eno. Below is a link to a sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6n9s1e8EXs

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JazzyJtotheILL. Show JazzyJtotheILL's posts

thank you guys all! I'm going to sit here now and check em all out :)

Zilla - i LOVE Cracker... I LOVE LOVE LOVE Kerosene hat (at the 2 minute mark especially lol) and I want everything..

see this is even good for bringing back memories and songs that I love. I'm stoked to listen to the other songs.

Thanks everyone.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

not knowing your definition of obscure, Modest mouse, The Shins, Death Cab For Cutie, Sigur Ros, Snow Patrol, Flaming Lips, the Strokes, Wilco (you mustlisten to Wilco)(as in I insets you listen to wilco), Arcade Fire, Arctic Monkeys,

To name just a few. A good place to find and listen to music ( before you dole out a ton of $) is Grooveshark.com. they let you stream just about any song that is out there.  

PS listen to Wilco

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

also once a week aol has  free streaming of new music releases that you can try with out $ involved I don't know the web address I just Google "aol free music releases" on their page ,on the right side of the page there is a large S for spinner Magazine.  If you click on the s you are brought to new releases from spinner which tend to be less pop mainstream-ish.  there is probably an easier way to get to this page but this is how i do it.