Let's talk about a band called 'Collective Soul'

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Let's talk about a band called 'Collective Soul'

I have been listening to these guys for a while now, maybe over 10 years.

I think they are one of the more under-rated bands from the late 80's. 90's to present.

I am sure many of you are familiar with them. I wouldn't really call them "Alternative" , they are just a good Rock band.

Gel, Shine and December are great songs and should be classics one day.

The band's logo appeared on the #36 stock car below the sponsor's name ( Golden Corral)for Memorial day in support of disabled veterans.

Share your thoughts on Collective Soul. if you have any.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

Re: Let's talk about a band called 'Collective Soul'

"yeah"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I like them a lot, and so do my wife and my daughter, so I guess you could say they have a wide appeal.

If you like this band you really have to see their DVD called 'Home' which was done with the Atlanta Youth Symphony.  A great show, with a very uplifting, life-affirming vibe.  One of the best concert DVD's I've seen.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Agree with all points so far.  The 'Home' live DVD is indeed a good show, as their music lends itself well to the dramatic presentation of an orchestra.  (almost like they took the best parts of "november rain" and purified it a bit)  "Better Now" and "Heavy" from this show and "Listen" are all regulars on my ipod. 

Also like their generally positive message, which is refreshing and only rarely crosses the line into "preachy" territory.  Besides that, their songs have insanely catchy hooks to spare.  Their work waned a little in the 2000s, IMO, but considering the fate of many of their 90s brethren, they've done pretty well for themselves.

(Side note: I actually met them once at a festival in CA, and they are unbelievably goofy in person...but in a sweet way...very un-rock star like....)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I only know of a few of their hits (especially "Shine").  I'll have to check them out further.  Another decent recommendation from the forum.  As always, thanks.  :)

Best of luck to the Bruins tonight. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

yoga, here is the first song my wife heard by this band.  She heard it in a store and was so impressed that she found out what it was and immediately bought the CD.  It's kind of a magical song in spite of what appears at first to be a somber theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7TLTjqUyog

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I like the band - they did get swept up in the Grunge scene; not sure why. Oh, that right, they wore a flannel shirt once Tongue out

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Let's talk about a band called 'Collective Soul':
    [QUOTE]yoga, here is the first song my wife heard by this band.  She heard it in a store and was so impressed that she found out what it was and immediately bought the CD.  It's kind of a magical song in spite of what appears at first to be a somber theme. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7TLTjqUyog
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]
    Wow, thanks, Hfx!  I do know (remember) that song quite well.  There's potential here.   Nice lead.   :)

Had to laugh at noticing music while shopping, because I notice the music when I'm in a store.  One day I was laughing to myself after going into a couple of women's clothing stores and hearing Madonna tracks (did not hear "Material Girl" however) -- I've also heard lots of disco music while shopping.  Thanks again.   :D

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Incidently, someone is using 'Shine' in a recent T.V. commercial.

My ears perked up when I heard the song...can't remember the advertiser or the product they are selling.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

In Response to Re: Let's talk about a band called 'Collective Soul':
    [QUOTE]Incidently, someone is using 'Shine' in a recent T.V. commercial. My ears perked up when I heard the song...can't remember the advertiser or the product they are selling.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

My ears always perk up when I hear 'Shine'.  Two great yet very different instrumental riffs, great sing-along harmony in the last verse, nice positive vibe throughout.

Collective Soul possibly would have had greater commercial success had they hit 5-10 years earlier - maybe that qualifies them as a bit 'retro' but their output definitely stands on its own merits IMO.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

This thread inspired me to dust off their 'Dosage' CD and give it a couple of spins in the car deck.  Man do I love this album.  Just one great melody and/or hook after another.  A beautifully arranged and engineered album as well, a good one for the headphones.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Let's talk about a band called 'Collective Soul':
    [QUOTE]I have been listening to these guys for a while now, maybe over 10 years. I think they are one of the more under-rated bands from the late 80's. 90's to present. I am sure many of you are familiar with them. I wouldn't really call them "Alternative" , they are just a good Rock band. Gel, Shine and December are great songs and should be classics one day. The band's logo appeared on the #36 stock car below the sponsor's name ( Golden Corral)for Memorial day in support of disabled veterans. Share your thoughts on Collective Soul. if you have any.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

They cross over to the Christian market to Zilla, although they are not considered one. Both Roland brothers have a strong faith..You can tell in the lyrics..Great band..Ive been a fan since their first CD..

Sections
Shortcuts