Linda Ronstadt had a nice string of pop-rock/country-rock hits ( and LPs) from 1969-1980. She had a wonderful voice. Could sing various styles of music from, country to pop to harder rock to a sort of punk inspired ( Mad Love) style.

While I was a big fan of her songs and LPs, I believe the great achievement in Ronstadt's career was to bring attention to the great songwriters who wrote the songs she turned into hits.

Ronstadt sang songs by Jackson Browne, Warren Zevon, Laura Nyro, Neil Young, Michael Nesmith, Elvis Costello, Roy Orbison, J.D.Souther, Rick Roberts, (Firefall), Lowell George, Randy Newman, James Taylor, Karla Bonoff,Richards/Jagger, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Smokey Robinson, among others.

The studio band included many of the same So. Cal. musicians who played on LPs by Zevon, Browne and the Eagles. Russ Kunkel, Waddy Wachtel, Danny Kortchmar, David Lindley, Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Larry Carlton ( of Steely Dan fame), Leland Sklar, Sneaky Pete Kleinow( steel guitar),Craig Doerge, David Sanborn and Peter Asher ( the "Peter" in Peter and Gordon, McCartney's former brother-in-law....who also added some slick production work to Ronstadt's LPs).

The choice of songwriters and outstanding musicians make the old Linda Ronstadt LPs more than just "filler" for her hits. I probably never would have listened to Warren Zevon or Jackson Browne for years if not for Ronstadt introducing me to these great songwriters.

That's the real importance of her career, it helped launch solo careers for many others.