Linda Ronstat autobiography

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Linda Ronstat autobiography

Thought this article from yahoo.com was kind of interesting:

Legendary songstress Linda Ronstadt may have recently announced that her singing career has come to an end due to complications from Parkinson's Disease, but that doesn't mean she's been silenced! The 67-year-old musician had plenty to say in her brand-new autobiography, Simple Dreams: A Musical Memoir, which traverses her adventures over four decades in showbiz.

As one might imagine from a celeb who's hung out with everyone from Neil Young to George Lucas, Ronstadt's book contains plenty of insider's revelations; some more unexpected than others. You'll have to read the whole bio to get the full effect, of course, but we've cribbed three of the most interesting anecdotes to whet your appetite.

1. Jim Morrison may have been a poet, but he wasn't always a gentleman. Back in 1968, Ronstadt and her band the Stone Poneys scored a gig opening up for the Doors -- who were hot stuff due to their then-current hit "Light My Fire." Ronstadt describes the group's iconic frontman, Jim Morrison, as having a "troubling" stage presence, as well as a violent streak and (already well-documented) penchant for alcohol. One free evening on tour, when sober and acting "sweet and somewhat shy," Morrison asked Ronstadt if she'd like to hang out. Things started out well until a random stranger jumped out of a car and inexplicably punched Morrison in the face. Ronstadt bravely got between them before the fight got out of hand, but then was forced to watch a shaken-up Morrison promptly get drunk to steady his nerves.

The night ended with a belligerent Morrison following Ronstadt to her friends' house, where she was staying, and hammering on the windows and doors to be let in. Ronstadt was forced to use the security bolt to keep him out, and described Morrison's girlfriend as appearing "bruised from jaw to collarbone" the following afternoon.

2. Southerners aren't always known for their hospitality. The following year, Ronstadt, now performing as a solo artist, was booked on The Johnny Cash Show, a Nashville-based variety TV program put together by the Man in Black. The night before her scheduled rehearsal and taping, one of the show's producers called her hotel room and insisted on coming up to discuss her segment. Ronstadt, who was traveling alone, demurred, but finally allowed him in.

The producer entered and promptly took off every stitch of his clothing. Horrified ("he was hardly the Adonis of show business"), Ronstadt ordered him out, to which he first asked her if she was a "hippie" and "didn't hippies believe in free love?" When Ronstadt then threatened to call security, he nastily told her that nobody would believe a non-bra-wearing girl's story, and that she better keep her mouth shut about the incident.

3. What do Randy Newman, a Roy Rogers lunchbox, and a gun have in common? Well... In the '80s, Ronstadt was filming a TV special in New York with her good friend and fellow songwriter Randy Newman. On the way to lunch one day, a police officer ran by, accidentally losing his gun out of its holster on the way. Ronstadt and Newman stared at the gun on the sidewalk, and after a brief argument about what to do with it (Newman suggested throwing it in a trash can; Ronstadt protested it might go off and kill the garbage collector), Ronstadt finally picked it up and imprudently waved it at two nearby police officers in a squad car.

Her intention was only to get their attention so she could hand over the weapon, but Newman -- not so imprudently -- dragged her out of sight and called her a "reckless moron." The two then decided to stash the gun in what was serving as Ronstadt's purse: A metal lunch box with a picture of Roy Rogers and Trigger on the lid. Once safely ensconced, the gun was then carefully and safely (if a bit dramatically) delivered to a police officer.

Simple Dreams: A Musical Memoir was completed before the 11-time Grammy winner disclosed she had Parkinson's Disease, so the book does not contain any information about her current condition. Ronstadt is currently making appearances in support of the bio, most recently on "Good Morning America" Monday.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Linda Ronstat autobiography

Great stuff...!

I admit it sounds like a great read.

Ronstadt has been such a singularly exceptional voice for so long, it's sad to think of her possibly going silent.  Staggering to know just how many records she's lent her pipes to over the years....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Looks like a good book to check out. Ronstadt was a major female voice in rock/pop music. Her covers of songs gave wider exposure to some songwriters who were not as popular in the mainstream as she was. Probably helped them pay some bills, too.

"Hold it fellows, that don't move me. Let's get real, real gone for a change."

-Elvis Presley

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

If those anecdotes are a preview, it looks like a fun read, not to mention, a good reminder that Linda Ronstadt had a life of rich and varied experiences.  NOTE: the anecdote re: Morrison is not too surprising.   Now that she's come forward re: her battle with Parkinson's disease,  I give her a world of credit for utilizing her name (and fame) to bring more visibility to the disease, as we go forward to more information, treatment options, and a potential cure into the future.   

I get a newsletter from Barnes and Noble, and saw the book there, too, so the PR is out there, and hopefully, lots of people will buy the book and share in Ronstadt's memories.    

"Just as kindness knows no shame, know through all your joy and pain, that I'll be loving you always."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

In depth from the NYTimes.

Like a Wheel, but Turning Slower

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/01/arts/music/linda-ronstadt-discusses-her-memoir-and-parkinsons.html?pagewanted=all

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Time...Gravity.....and a lot of Ho Ho's later!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Clearly, the music takes a back seat for some....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

I saw her perform years ago at the old Cape Cod Colliseum. She could really belt it out.  I like the way she changed up her career over the years, and didn't really care what others thought of her choices. I welcome her openess about this disease. My Grandfather died of Parkinson's. I watched as a little kid, the disease tear apart his body. His mind was always sharp as a tack, but it frustrated me that he could no longer do the physical things we had always done. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Clearly, the music takes a back seat for some....

Oh no! She has a great voice and is one of the best  female vocal performers!

I was just pointing out that the packaging has changed!

11. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts