List O Mania 2012: Set 1

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

List O Mania 2012: Set 1

Guitar World's "Top 50 Albums of 2012" is a fairly decent list of 50 new releases.  Whether or not you agree they are the "top" albums is a matter of taste and opinion, as always.  

Posting this list is for fun, and in part, for information purposes; there may be a few albums you will want to check out, who knows?

This list is studio albums only.   

Here's the summary clip from the GW website:

From an impending apocalypse to the promise of a new Van Halen album with David Lee Roth, the bar was set high for 2012.

Everyone from the Mayans to Nostradamus allegedly prophesied the end of the world in 2012, but who could have predicted Green Day's epic trilogy of new albums, or Joe Walsh's first solo effort in two decades, or Rush churning out their heaviest record this side of 2112?

For a year that was supposed to mark the end of an era, it's quite fitting that 2012 ended up being very much a nexus of past and future.

Aerosmith and Kiss kept the classic rock flame alive, releasing their 15th and 20th studio albums respectively, and ZZ Top issued their finest showing of fuzzed-out Texas blues in years.

>>>Meanwhile, excellent debuts from Gary Clark Jr. and Alabama Shakes — not to mention Jack White's debut solo record hitting No. 1 — proved the blues is still a vital force in the hands of true believers.  :)

On the heavier end of the spectrum, Periphery once again upped the ante as the leaders of the new prog-metal movement, and Meshuggah reminded everyone that the groove can still be mightier than the metronome. Lamb of God and Municipal Waste forged ahead as the heads of thrash metal's new class, while legends like Overkill and Testament continued uncanny, late-career resurgences with solid efforts.

But if there's one thing to take away from the 50 albums below, it's this: The guitar is very much alive and well in 2012. It survived the rise of the keyboard in the '80s and the overwhelming bass-barrage of electronic dance music of the early 21st century and shows no signs of waning in relevancy. Whether you're still plugging into a vintage Vox AC30 with your trusty Strat or just got your hands on an Axe FX and a new Ibanez eight-string, the guitar isn't going away any time soon.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: List O Mania 2012: Set 1

Guitar World Staff’s Top 50 of 2012:

50. Overkill  --  The Electric Age
    49. Lynyrd Skynyrd  -  Last of a Dyin’ Breed
    48. Wayne Krantz   -    Howie 61
    47. As I Lay Dying  --   Awakened
    46. Municipal Waste  --  Fatal Feast

45. Paul Gilbert  Vibrato
    44. The Gaslight Anthem -  Handwritten
    43. Firewind - Few Against Many
    42. The Contortionist -   Intrinsic
    41. Smashing Pumpkins -   Oceania

40. John 5      God Told Me To
    39. Robert Cray Band       Nothin But Love
    38. Ihsahn     Eremita
    37. The Sword    ” Aprocryphon
    36. Enslaved ” RIITIIR
    35. Miss May I     ” At Heart

34. Coheed and Cambria  ” The Afterman: Ascension
    33. High on Fire   De Vermis Mysteriis
    32. Lee Ranaldo    Between the Times and the Tides
    31. The Mars Volta    Noctourniquet
    30. Carlos Santana   ” Shape Shifter

29. Pig Destroyer  ” Book Burne
    28. Dethklok   Dethalbum III
    27. Converge     All We Love We Leave Behind
    26. The Cult     Choice of Weapon
    25. Alabama Shakes   Boys & Girls

24. Dinosaur Jr.   I Bet on Sky
    23. Gojira L⠙Enfant Sauvage
    22. Kiss   Monster
    21. Joe Walsh    Analog Man
    20. Jeff Loomis    Plains of Oblivion

19. Joe Bonamassa ” Driving Towards the Daylight
    18. Between the Buried and Me   The Parallax II: Future Sequence
    17. Testament    ” Dark Roots of Earth
    16. Slash    ” Apocalyptic Love
    15. Baroness     Yellow & Green

14. Lamb of God     Resolution
    13. Deftones      Koi No Yokan
    12. Aerosmith   Music From Another Dimension!
    11. Steve Vai   The Story of Light
    10. Green Day    ” ¡Uno!

09. Meshuggah      Koloss
    08. Jack White       Blunderbuss
    07. Gary Clark Jr.      Blak and Blu
    06. Soundgarden      King Animal
    05. Neil Young & Crazy Horse     €Â” Psychedelic Pill

04. ZZ Top      La Futura
    03. Periphery    ” Periphery II
    02. Rush  Clockwork Angels

01. Van Halen ” A Different Kind of Truth

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Any reactions?  What do you think of the Number One album (based on the idea it's from Guitar World)?    Funny?

Did you bring any of these albums into your collection (yet) or are you planning to get hold of any of them?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I'm getting Jack White's Blunderbuss album for Christmas.  I'm sure I'll buy the Bonamassa one at some point.  Others I may be interested in are ZZ Top and Slash.  Maybe Van Halen-the Tattoo song isn't bad.  Color me predictable once again.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I'll have to take a listen to Robert Cray,Steve Vai and the Joe Bonamassa CDs.I don't think I've heard any of them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Slash is the only one I have.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Interesting...and clearly more inclined toward guitar heroics and metal, but still noteworthy.

Neil Young is the only common thread with my list.

I also have Jack White (good, but a late cut), Rush (ditto), Soundgarden (meh, though I'm a fan) and Dino Jr. (a nice return to form).

Curious to check out Lee Ranaldo and Mars Volta....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Back to the future, a lot of old rockers and metal bands. Could be 1988. Of course, this is Guitar World Magazine, which means you can always count on at least one Vai, or Van Halen album making the list. 

Blunderbuss, and Clockwork Angels, are both really good. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

I don't have any of these. May eventually get the Dinosaur Jr one

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to polar123's comment:

Back to the future, a lot of old rockers and metal bands. Could be 1988. Of course, this is Guitar World Magazine, which means you can always count on at least one Vai, or Van Halen album making the list.  Blunderbuss, and Clockwork Angels, are both really good.

Actually, the fact it's from Guitar World, in that niche context, made it a good list to post.   Very consistent, and trustworthy, for their following.   

There were lots of classic rockers who put out good releases in 2012, so why not give them their due?  Some of the newer bands are merely clones anyhow; may as well go for the real thing?   ;-)

I have listened to the Gaslight Anthem, and don't think they are any great shakes, but they may be more regional favorites, so GL to them.   Same with Alabama Shakes.  NBD to me, but whatever.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment: 

Actually, the fact it's from Guitar World, in that niche context, made it a good list to post.   Very consistent, and trustworthy, for their following.   

There were lots of classic rockers who put out good releases in 2012, so why not give them their due?  Some of the newer bands are merely clones anyhow; may as well go for the real thing?   ;-)

I have listened to the Gaslight Anthem, and don't think they are any great shakes, but they may be more regional favorites, so GL to them.   Same with Alabama Shakes.  NBD to me, but whatever.  

[/QUOTE]

agree, I'm a fan of GW, so the guitar heavy list does not surprise me. What does, are the number of clsssic rockers on that list. I had no idea half of them had albums out this year :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

Back to the future, a lot of old rockers and metal bands. Could be 1988. Of course, this is Guitar World Magazine, which means you can always count on at least one Vai, or Van Halen album making the list.  Blunderbuss, and Clockwork Angels, are both really good.

[/QUOTE]

Does this confirm that classic rock is an ongoing thing? :-)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Overkill on this list was kind of a trip.  I remember seeing them at the Channel way, way back...with Armoured Saint, if I recall correctly.

If anything, this confirms what we've talked about before...that metal is itself a thriving genre with seemingly no end in sight, at least among guitar geeks/fans.

That you have Jack White next to Meshuggah should be a testament to rock lists everywhere.

They should totally tour together.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

That you have Jack White next to Meshuggah should be a testament to rock lists everywhere. They should totally tour together.

Is Jack White "metal"?

I thought he was more.... well...  a number of things. But not very loud and heavy. At least not any of the limited amount of White Stripes I've listened to.

I could swear that about a decade ago, I saw Meshuggah (they opened for Tool) and I didn't really like what I heard. I couldn't understand the singer. He was just barking. Almost like a hardcore show ("Napalm Death"). They had three guitarists and I could barely make out individual rythyms, though a friend who was there told me they sound a lot more complex on albums.

I dunno. Maybe just not my thing. But overall they sounded not so much metal, but more straight up 'hardcore', which is not my cup of tea.

I suspect a lot of Meshuggah fans might not be that into Jack White. Hell, a bunch of the people around us left after they finished because they thought Tool wasn't hard enough.... 

[/QUOTE]

No, not metal.

My point was more to the fact that they're listed next to each other despite being not much alike at all...

...along with a bon mot that apparently tanked.

I'll go away now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That you have Jack White next to Meshuggah should be a testament to rock lists everywhere. They should totally tour together.

Is Jack White "metal"?

I thought he was more.... well...  a number of things. But not very loud and heavy. At least not any of the limited amount of White Stripes I've listened to.

[/QUOTE]

I saw the White Stripes live and some of it was very loud and heavy.  The song 'Icky Thump' has one of the best Zeppelin riffs since Zeppelin.  Although there's no guitar solo in it, which is kind of typical.  White seems to be sort of a musical dabbler, and I think he goes out of his way to avoid being pigeonholed.

In the movie It Might Get Loud, there's a clip of him playing live with a band, the Raconteurs I think, and really tearing it up on a heavy, bluesy solo. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

My favorite CD of 2012 was definitely Bob Mould -  Silver Age

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]agree, I'm a fan of GW, so the guitar heavy list does not surprise me. What does, are the number of classsic rockers on that list. I had no idea half of them had albums out this year :)   [/QUOTE]

Agree, too.   It's a good reminder that "new" doesn't necessarily "new artist" and that many long-standing artists and classics, are making good studio albums.   There is something for everyone.

I'm sure there are fans who are still buying every single album of their favorite bands to this day, even if it means re-issues of some of the same material.   

The geeky aspect of GW speaks for itself and continues to make it a fan favorite.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisodme. Show chrisodme's posts

[QUOTE]

Any reactions?  What do you think of the Number One album (based on the idea it's from Guitar World)?    Funny?

Did you bring any of these albums into your collection (yet) or are you planning to get hold of any of them?

[/QUOTE]

Even though I'm from the classic rock era (saw Zep, Clash, Queen, Stones etc. in thier prime), my musicial tastes always move forward. That being said, you should check out some great discs realesed in 2012 by Kasabian, Manic Street Preachers and Muse to name a few. You might be pleasantly surprised. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]Does this confirm that classic rock is an ongoing thing? :-) [/QUOTE]

Of course it does.  :)

But seriously -- there is still a strong market for all of the classic rockers.   Fans are continuing to buy the albums and tickets to the concerts.   The bands are appearing at festivals, being interviewed (not always a good thing ...), writing books, and touring.  

The current spotlight on the bands having major anniversaries is also stunning.   

Classic rockers and their music are going the way of "classical" music; I have read this time and again.    There are rock bands whose recorded music will not ever fade away; the music will be covered by new bands(that's already happening in major ways), be re-interpreted, and kept alive in new forms, but we are in the midst of a true sea change with regard to the way rock music will be listened to and viewed in the future.  

This includes classic alternative music, as the road for alternative bands is wide open, with many of them celebrating 20-30 years, with no end in sight.  

Perhaps the original classic rock recordings will be viewed as a niche market as time passes, the way traditional classical music is, but it will not fade away or be seen as passe.   Sure, it will not appeal to everyone, that's a matter of taste, but it is going to be appreciated across a much broader spectrum.  

So if we make it past 12-21-12, we are home free.   :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to chrisodme's comment:

Even though I'm from the classic rock era (saw Zep, Clash, Queen, Stones etc. in thier prime), my musicial tastes always move forward. That being said, you should check out some great discs realesed in 2012 by Kasabian, Manic Street Preachers and Muse to name a few. You might be pleasantly surprised.  

Totally agree.  This is just one list, an interesting representative sample.  I will probably post a few additional lists, but there are only so many that anyone can stand ... :)

As for Muse, they are a very good band; a friend of mine considers them her favorite band.  Did not get their latest album, but would consider it.   Nothing would surprise me insofar as the quality of the music of a new band, I love hearing new music that catches my attention.  I'm very open to learning about new music.   However, I like to try before I buy, kick the tires  a bit -- if you know what I mean.   :)  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

[QUOTE]

Overkill on this list was kind of a trip.  I remember seeing them at the Channel way, way back...with Armoured Saint, if I recall correctly.

If anything, this confirms what we've talked about before...that metal is itself a thriving genre with seemingly no end in sight, at least among guitar geeks/fans.

That you have Jack White next to Meshuggah should be a testament to rock lists everywhere.

[/QUOTE]

Meshuggah, perhaps one of the worst bands I have ever heard, and a terrible name for a band. Have we ever done a band name thread? There are some really great ones out there. First aid kit, with those two beautiful Swedes comes to mind. First thing I always look for when Yoga post's her festival lineups are the band names....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] Meshuggah, perhaps one of the worst bands I have ever heard, and a terrible name for a band. Have we ever done a band name thread? There are some really great ones out there. First aid kit, with those two beautiful Swedes comes to mind. First thing I always look for when Yoga post's her festival lineups are the band names....[/QUOTE]

Very funny coincidence re: First Aid Kit ... but I saw them posted near the band Vaccine and thought now, that's a tour right there.    :)   (and I did do a thread on bands that should tour together a while back, and it turned out to be great fun).   

As for First Aid Kit, I was just listening to them yesterday, matter of fact, on youtube, and for me, they are definitely a case of style over substance.   Yes, they are two cute Swedes ... nuff said.  I'm not into their voices at all;  maybe too folkie for me, but whatever.  The song "EmmyLou" is very pretty, however.   They did appear at the 2012 ACL, and probably fit in nicely -- with a good name for a band at a festival, too.  :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] Meshuggah, perhaps one of the worst bands I have ever heard, and a terrible name for a band. Have we ever done a band name thread? There are some really great ones out there. First aid kit, with those two beautiful Swedes comes to mind. First thing I always look for when Yoga post's her festival lineups are the band names....[/QUOTE]

Very funny coincidence re: First Aid Kit ... but I saw them posted near the band Vaccine and thought now, that's a tour right there.    :)   (and I did do a thread on bands that should tour together a while back, and it turned out to be great fun).   

As for First Aid Kit, I was just listening to them yesterday, matter of fact, on youtube, and for me, they are definitely a case of style over substance.   Yes, they are two cute Swedes ... nuff said.  I'm not into their voices at all;  maybe too folkie for me, but whatever.  The song "EmmyLou" is very pretty, however.   They did appear at the 2012 ACL, and probably fit in nicely -- with a good name for a band at a festival, too.  :)

[/QUOTE]

They were enchanting live at Newport and joined Conor Oberst for a few tunes, as well as the Sunday closing group jam.  One of Mrs. Matty's favorite acts from the weekend...and so she's getting their oeuvre for xmas.  :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

No Black Keys "El Camino"?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] They were enchanting live at Newport and joined Conor Oberst for a few tunes, as well as the Sunday closing group jam.  One of Mrs. Matty's favorite acts from the weekend...and so she's getting their oeuvre for xmas.  :) [/QUOTE]

We won't spoil the surprise.  Since Newport was so fantastic last summer, that music will be a nice way to recapture those vibes, especially mid-winter.   :)   

FAK are certainly sweet, and I can almost sense they are probably a good example of an act that is much better live than on recordings.   

Not sure this would make much of a topic for a thread, so I'll mention it here, but I have made a distinction between Americana music (or even Americana rock) vs. folk music (or indie folk / rock) , and clearly, when it gets into folkie territory, I have difficulty with it.   As I just mentioned, it may be a case of those acts performing better live than on studio recordings.   Otherwise, there's too much music in this world to worry about it.    

As for my current pre-occupation with giftedness and core talent, I will save that for another thread, as that plays into my being a very, very hard sell lately.   

Sections
Shortcuts