List O Mania 2012: Set 2 (Alternative Rock)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

List O Mania 2012: Set 2 (Alternative Rock)

Here's a list of Alternative Rock for 2012.   I'm posting it because one of my favorite albums came in at number 25, which surprised me.   

Unfortunately, I cannot drop the list into this post, b/c of the format.   However, it is a list (not slides), so if you click on the link, you'll at least get a list that scrolls on the page.   

From Pitchfork:

http://www.albumoftheyear.org/genre/2-alternative-rock/2012/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Re: List O Mania 2012: Set 2 (Alternative Rock)

Alanis Morissette, alternative? When did that happen.  2012 seems to be a comback year of sorts for some well known indie/alt artists as well. Bob Mould, Dino Jr., Soungarden, No Doubt (odd), Flaming Lips. Could be 1995. Mark Lanegan is an interesting choice, founder of Screaming Trees, and the great Mad Season.  Good to see him get some recognition.

Keane and Silversun Pickups I own.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

now this list is more like it hahah.. Although I cannot stomach No Doubt.. Never have ... never will.. I really have a huge dislike of that lead singer..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

The Mark Lanegan release was very good and made my list in another forum.

A few others here were ultimately good but not best-ofs (Silversun Pickups, Keane) or disappointments (BF5, Soundgarden).

Tried hard to like Gaslight Anthem but no dice.

Bob Mould and Flaming Lips sound like they're worth another listen.

Still can't see the appeal the The Killers, for the life of me.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

P.S.  Picked up the latest from Dispatch a couple of days ago.  They've largely escaped me until now, but no longer.  Liking them lots so far.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Im with you Matty on Killers... never done it for me..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to polar123's comment:

Alanis Morissette, alternative? When did that happen.  2012 seems to be a comback year of sorts for some well known indie/alt artists as well. Bob Mould, Dino Jr., Soungarden, No Doubt (odd), Flaming Lips. Could be 1995. Mark Lanegan is an interesting choice, founder of Screaming Trees, and the great Mad Season.  Good to see him get some recognition. Keane and Silversun Pickups I own. 

Right on point.  I have read in more than one year-end review article this season, that it's the "year of the comeback" -- and this even includes some of the (horrible) pop music by artists that have been kicking around for a long time.   I'm not going to post any pop music lists.  And the lists of "top tracks" are so unwieldly, I can't get through them, so I don't know (or care ...) what they are.   

Either way, I'm very happy for Dino Jr., and lots of the other bands that have had successful reunions and comeback albums.   

P.S.  Heard "Runaways" on WERS just a little while ago; it's always struck me as a throwback rock anthem, and I've always liked it.  Maybe one of the few songs by the Killers I like.    Maybe that ship has sailed for some of us.   I do like Brandon Flowers' voice, though.

Sections
Shortcuts