Lists = bad

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Lists = bad

I've got the hint...

No more lists.  No more categories.  No more genre-dropping.

Purely qualitative discussions only, and Rolling Stone/RnRHoF are now official pariahs to this forum.

Carry on....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Lists = bad

These lists seem to be good discussion-starters but at the same time objects of scorn.  I guess it's part of the nature of these forums.  They give us a place to vent.

I've certainly been guilty of heaping abuse on Rolling Stone and the Hall of Fame for what seem to be gratuitous exclusions. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Actually I think lists are good, especially when we try and come up with one from within our community. Whenever RS is brought into the conversation, some of our nerves go on edge.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Lists = bad:
    [QUOTE]Well I generally think we all agree that there is no objective ranking of 'best'...so it's all in good fun.
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

Exactly, as long as The Beatles on #1 on most lists.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I've used enough of them -- and have recently admitted (is there such a thing as Listmainia Anonymous?) that I've broken the habit of using them, well, for the mostpart; it's just so difficult to apply them, or make them meaningful.

Yet, there's no end to them.  

I remember the list I posted (also a reader's poll) on "best" punk rock band -- remember that one?  GREEN DAY was the winner, and the response here was as it should have been: a scam.  Ridiculous.  It was nothing more than a popularity contest by the fans who had scammed the system somehow.  Dumb.  Yet, the forum vented, and as I recall, it generated a decent discussion.  

As for RS, I've learned my lesson.    Then again, that Rush interview and discussion wasn't half bad.  Never know what to expect.  Lists in general?  Post at your own risk.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Top 5 reasons I like lists:

1.They can be informative
    2.They can start good discussions
    3.They're easy to cut and paste
    4.They can cover a wide variety of topics
    5.They're easily read in a column

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

No more readers polls either, apparently.

No more critics.  We can judge for ourselves.

No more defining what is "good" or "bad"...only what we like or don't like.

Just an abstract, amorphous gelatine of preference, bias and hearsay.

Sounds lovely.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]Feeling oppressed Matty? Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

Every f***ing day, man.

Keeps me on my toes, though...every fence has me searching for a new ladder to scale it.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Top 5 reasons I like lists: 1.They can be informative 2.They can start good discussions 3.They're easy to cut and paste 4.They can cover a wide variety of topics 5.They're easily read in a column  
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

As for #3 and #5 -- the latest trend in lists which is one of the most annoying things I've ever seen is to make them either in slide format (so you have to go one by one, page by page, which takes forever -- does anyone bother?) or with pics, and videos to click on, putting maybe 3 or 4 on a page, when there are many pages to get through for a "top 20" list.   Total pains.  

These two trends have been a huge turnoff.   

Otherwise, there are still plenty of lists in column format.  :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]No more readers polls either, apparently. No more critics.  We can judge for ourselves. No more defining what is "good" or "bad"...only what we like or don't like. Just an abstract, amorphous gelatine of preference, bias and hearsay. Sounds lovely.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

It's one thing to acknowledge that we all follow our own path with regard to taste, what we are drawn to or what repels us (with music or for that matter, any of the arts) -- but there is not enough acknowledgement (where has it gone?) that hearing, looking, seeing, reading (or whatever) the viewpoints, critiques, or reflections of other people be they writers, critics, colleagues, friends, or ANYONE for that matter is a valid way to learn.  It's also a healthy mental activity, and only adds to and enhances your viewpoint and gives it more heft.   Listening to someone else's POV does not detract from what you think in any way.

When you hear another POV, it not only gives you a chance to pinpoint your own preferences in a more meaningful way, but it opens your eyes to what other people think and feel.  Doesn't that mean anything any more?   What has caused people to become so dismissive?  

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]It's one thing to acknowledge that we all follow our own path with regard to taste, what we are drawn to or what repels us (with music or for that matter, any of the arts) -------------------------- If only that were true! Experience dictates MOST don't follow their own path, but seek the current, to follow. This forum's members are smarter.  This forums members are exceptional, not norm. Your rule is exactly how I teach music, and guitar. Elitist? You bet your a55.
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

Greg,
    I couldn't agree more.  The lowest common denominator (LCD) is the RULE, not the exception to  it, and most people are in the LCD; the forum members are so far above the LCD, in a premiere class of their own, so exceptional, and that's not hyperbole, that's just a fact that's been documented here.  :)

You see that LCD mentality all over -- film, tv, fashion (don't get me started with the ill-suited and ill-fitting clothes people wear just because they're "in" UGH).  

Are you saying some people just *CAN'T* be any other way, they're lost causes, they follow trends and will never veer off the path to discover a true sense of what they *could* like?    

Can they be taught to think outside the box, and open their EYES?   Take the WHOLE CAKE, and not just one piece?   

All I'm saying is that there are too many people with knee-jerk reactions  -- too much deciding, and not enough ruminating.  Too much cutting to the chase to agree or disagree, without a discussion, or digesting what's been read, seen, heard ... too much rapidfire response.   Too much insistence that someone's trying to tell you what to think (people like us can NEVER be told what to think,  just ask my mother ...), but not enough realization that an open mind is not a sign of being wishy-washy or a pushover, either.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

According to the latest poll the best posters on Boston.com are listed as follows:

1. ZILLAGOD
    2. everyone else....a tie.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lists = bad : It's one thing to acknowledge that we all follow our own path with regard to taste, what we are drawn to or what repels us (with music or for that matter, any of the arts) -- but there is not enough acknowledgement (where has it gone?) that hearing, looking, seeing, reading (or whatever) the viewpoints, critiques, or reflections of other people be they writers, critics, colleagues, friends, or ANYONE for that matter is a valid way to learn.  It's also a healthy mental activity, and only adds to and enhances your viewpoint and gives it more heft.   Listening to someone else's POV does not detract from what you think in any way. When you hear another POV, it not only gives you a chance to pinpoint your own preferences in a more meaningful way, but it opens your eyes to what other people think and feel.  Doesn't that mean anything any more?   What has caused people to become so dismissive?  
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Maybe not so much dismissive as cynical (I can relate)...

...but I think that's just how it appears and that the real breakdown is in communication and the effective use of the language to express that point-of-view.

This is part of my endless frustration with certain media - not the bias, which is easy to spot and disregard - the continuous degeneration of the language via new media/ internet combined with a decreased concern for ethics inherent in professional writing.  We see this in media where they report news incorrectly in their rush to be first (ex. the USSC healthcare decision) as well as their tacit refusal to admit they were wrong when they make mistakes.  (foxnews is the biggest culprit but hardly alone here.)

That last part is wholly depressing to me, because it means that facts are irrelevant to the flashier concern of who's right and who's wrong.  Anyone who values their own foolish pride over a simple mea culpa is, to me, an intellectual zombie.

This is fundamental: the only purpose of writing something is for someone else to read it.  I try to only write what I think other people might find interesting regardless of whether they agree with it.  These days it seems more people write just to 'hear themselves talk'.