Live Albums

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Live Albums

Give me your opinions?

Greatest and favorite.

I still do not believe anything touches "Live at Leeds" - The Who, but there are so many of them out there.

I can say that two of my least favorites are KISS Alive I and Frampton Comes Alive.

Here are some of my personal favorites:

Mott Live - Mott The Hoople
    Tesla - 5 Man Acoustical Jam
    Welcome Back My Friends To The Show that Never Ends - ELP
    Yessongs - Yes
    Carnegie Hall - Chicago

And I have a bootleg of Queen from the tour which they opened for Mott on. It kicks azz.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Re: Live Albums

Allman Brothers -At Fillmore East
    Deep Purple-Made in Japan
    King Crimson-Cirkus
    Zepplin-Song Remains the same
    Neil Young-Rust Never Sleeps
    Grateful Dead-Dicks Pick Volumes 3&4 (though there are so many great live Dead shows)
    Beach Boys-in Concert 1974
    Yardbirds-Five live

Just the tip of the iceberg. There are so many great live albums, but these stand out for me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Too many to list them all, let me say that some of the ones I would pick have already been mentioned by me on the double LP thread.

I would add any live album by Deep Purple, Iron Maiden or Ozzy.

Somehow Heavy Metal live albums are always kind of special. I love it when Ozzy says stuff like "let's have a riot!" between tracks. Only Ozzy could get away with saying something like that.

The Alice in Chains unplugged CD is very good and so is the live Nirvana "By the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah" ( or something like that, I am not sure if I got the title correct). I have a couple of live bootlegs of Rockpile and this band was just awesome live...better than in studio. I also have some Graham Parker live discs and he is equally good live as on record. Uriah Heep live in Moscow is really very good, they were , in fact, the first rock band from the West to play behind the Iron Curtain ( A little trivia for your friends).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Deep Purple, Led Zep & The Who already mentioned
    BOC On Your Feet Or On Your Knees
    Gary Moore We Want Moore
    U2 Under a Blood Red Sky
    Springsteen Live 1975-1985
    Tom Petty Pack Up The Plantation
    King Crimson USA
    Peter Gabriel Plays Live

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

In Response to Re: Live Albums:
    Too many to list them all, let me say that some of the ones I would pick have already been mentioned by me on the double LP thread. I would add any live album by Deep Purple, Iron Maiden or Ozzy. Somehow Heavy Metal live albums are always kind of special. I love it when Ozzy says stuff like "let's have a riot!" between tracks. Only Ozzy could get away with saying something like that. The Alice in Chains unplugged CD is very good and so is the live Nirvana "By the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah" ( or something like that, I am not sure if I got the title correct). I have a couple of live bootlegs of Rockpile and this band was just awesome live...better than in studio. I also have some Graham Parker live discs and he is equally good live as on record. Uriah Heep live in Moscow is really very good, they were , in fact, the first rock band from the West to play behind the Iron Curtain ( A little trivia for your friends).
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

I'm not much of a metal head but do agree that Alice Unplugged is excellent. Seeing the video makes it even better...you can tell that Layne was a tortured soul.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Too many to list them all, let me say that some of the ones I would pick have already been mentioned by me on the double LP thread. I would add any live album by Deep Purple, Iron Maiden or Ozzy. Somehow Heavy Metal live albums are always kind of special. I love it when Ozzy says stuff like "let's have a riot!" between tracks. Only Ozzy could get away with saying something like that. The Alice in Chains unplugged CD is very good and so is the live Nirvana "By the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah" ( or something like that, I am not sure if I got the title correct). I have a couple of live bootlegs of Rockpile and this band was just awesome live...better than in studio. I also have some Graham Parker live discs and he is equally good live as on record. Uriah Heep live in Moscow is really very good, thee , in fact, the first rock band from the West to play behind the Iron Curtain ( A little trivia for your friends).
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

AIC unplugged. Just an amazing live album. I had an opportunity to attend that show, and could not, opting for Midnight Oil instead. However, seeing it on MTV for the first time, it just blew me away. I recently watched the video again, and hearing the opening riffs of Nutshell, I felt the same thrill now, as I did then.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I have to agree- AIC Unplugged is amazing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

In Response to Live Albums:
    Give me your opinions? Greatest and favorite. I still do not believe anything touches "Live at Leeds" - The Who, but there are so many of them out there. I can say that two of my least favorites are KISS Alive I and Frampton Comes Alive. Here are some of my personal favorites: Mott Live - Mott The Hoople Tesla - 5 Man Acoustical Jam Welcome Back My Friends To The Show that Never Ends - ELP Yessongs - Yes Carnegie Hall - Chicago And I have a bootleg of Queen from the tour which they opened for Mott on. It kicks azz.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Ditto for Yessongs -- Yes was my favorite band all through high school. Pretty complex stuff, they always do an amazing job of pulling it off live. And they are still touring! But without Jon Anderson. If you ask me, it's just not Yes without him. I remember getting tickets for the Drama tour when I was in high school and was so excited. Then the news came that the band had reformed with the guys from the Buggles - Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes (sp?). I nearly cried. It was still a great show, since my favorite guitar player, Steve Howe, was there at the top of his game, as he always seems to be.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I was at the YES show at MSG when it was announced that Keith Moon had died. I think I stoppped listening to YES that night.

I saw the tour which Yessongs was evolved from. I will just leave it at this - I saw some pretty colors that night and it was all good.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

It's nobody's idea of a classic in any way, shape or form, but this thread is not getting away without a mention of Ted Nugent's Double Live Gonzo.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Off the top of my head.....................

Live Bullet - Bob Seger
    Ten Years After - Live at the Fillmore
    J Geils - Full House
    Concert for Bangladesh (George Harrison, Eric Clapton, Leon Russell, Billy Preston, and Ravi Shankar) 
    The Last Waltz
    and, of course, the original Woodstock album
    love the Allman Brothers live, too!   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I think Ted Nugent had the best title I've seen for a live album:
    Intensities in Ten Cities

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Allmans - Live at Fillmore East, check...for me, the gold standard of recorded live performance...

The Last Waltz - The Band (h/t cosmogirl)
    Stop Making Sense / The Name Of This Band Is... - Talking Heads
    Guster On Ice: Live in Portland, ME - Guster
    Blow Your Face Out - J. Geils Band
    Out West - Gomez
    Alchemy - Dire Straits
    Live After Death - Iron Maiden
    Live At Fillmore East / Live at Massey Hall '71 - Neil Young
    The Closing of Winterland - Grateful Dead (too many to mention...)
    Live Phish Vol. 15 - Phish (also too many to mention...)
    Live At The Wetlands (EP) - Robert Randolph & The Family Band
    Secret World Live - Peter Gabriel
    The Central Park Concert / The Gorge - Dave Matthews Band
    Light Fuse, Get Away - Widespread Panic
    Live at Roseland / The Deepest End - Gov't Mule
    One For The Road - The Kinks
    Rush In Rio - Rush

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Joe Jackson -  Live 1980/86

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Joe Jackson -   Live 1980/86
    Posted by devildavid

DD - Do you look sharp?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

My favorite is Alchemy by Dire Straits. The versions of Sultans of Swing, Tunnel of Love and Once Upon a Time in the West kick butt.

The Rainbow Concert -- Eric Clapton

LIve Bullet is good.

The Dance by Fleetwood Mac is surprisingly good. Buckingham's guitar solo on I'm So Afraid is amazing.

Live Around the World -- Meat Loaf

Concert in Central Park -- Simon and Garfunkel

Live at the Isle of Wright -- The Who

Live from Seattle -- Heart

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

My favorite is Alchemy by Dire Straits. The versions of Sultans of Swing, Tunnel of Love and Once Upon a Time in the West kick butt. The Rainbow Concert -- Eric Clapton LIve Bullet is good. The Dance by Fleetwood Mac is surprisingly good. Buckingham's guitar solo on I'm So Afraid is amazing. Live Around the World -- Meat Loaf Concert in Central Park -- Simon and Garfunkel Live at the Isle of Wright -- The Who Live from Seattle -- Heart
    Posted by royf19

Does anyone know the true story behind the Rainbow Concert. If it wasn't for a certain windmill lunatic, this show never would have happened. Can you guess who?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Kiss Live (1) - Thats right, I'm not scared to say it.  That album rips and the crowd shot inside cover is probably the best inside cover ever (next to the Mexican buffet on ZZ Top's Tres Hombres).  Paul Stanley's ridiculous hype intro to Cold Gin and the call and response with the crowd still gives me chills.  haha. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

The rumors have been that it was a studio engineered live album.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Another to add to the great list is Cheap Trick Live at Budokan
    Posted by bdownie37

I agree - but some Lizard is not going to like this.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In Response to Re: Live Albums : DD - Do you look sharp ?
    Posted by jesseyeric

I wouldn't say that. But I love sharp songwriting with an angry edge. I'm a fan of three British performers who started off around the same time and have some similarities in style and attitude. I always referred to them as the 3 angry young men. They are Elvis Costello, Graham Parker, and Joe Jackson. I have been lucky enough to see all of them live and Joe Jackson and Graham Parker have always been outstanding with Elvis Costello trailing close behind but not quite up to their level, IMO. I like how Joe Jackson comes up with different takes on his old material that more often than not work very well and breathe new life into songs that I'm sure he gets sick of playing. He even wrote a double entendre song tiltled "Hit Single" which touches on this very thing as well as talking about the difficulties of the singles scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ufO5nsvwNU

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

The rumors have been that it was a studio engineered live album.
    Posted by jesseyeric

I thought that was Live II ... anyway, I wouldn't be heartbroken.  They blow.  but I went through a heavy phase as a child.  Wore Ace Frehley makeup around.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Live Albums : Does anyone know the true story behind the Rainbow Concert. If it wasn't for a certain windmill lunatic, this show never would have happened. Can you guess who?
    Posted by jesseyeric

Just saw your question. The answer is Pete Townsend. He helped organize it to get Clapton back on the road. Clapton had been holed up doing drugs and pining over the then Patti Harrison. The death of Duane Allman and the break up of Derek and the Dominoes pile on.

Clapton was starting to kick the drugs and Townsend helped put this concert together to help him get back on his feet. The backup musicians were as good as it gets -- Townsend, Steve Winwood, Jim Capaldi, Ronnie Wood, Rick Grech off the top of my head.

The live version of Layla is the best live version of the song I've heard. The whole album -- actually the extended version CD, the original album didn't have Layla and some of the other songs on it -- is just fantastic.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

I always enjoyed the Woodstock album.  Some of my favorite parts: Hendrix's National Anthem, Joe Cocker's "A Little Help from My Friends" and a CSNY's "Sweet Judy Blue Eyes" that blows the recorded version away.  The stage announcements were as enjoyable as the music.  "People, please move out from under that crane area, 'cause if that crane sways, you're gonna get bonked on the head and it's really gonna urt!"

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Led Zep - How the West Was Won
    Grateful Dead - Live At The Fillmore West 1969 and Dick's Picks Vol. 4
    Allmans - Live At The Fillmore East; my personal favorite.