Live Albums

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Live Albums

In Response to Re: Live Albums:
    In Response to Re: Live Albums : Just saw your question. The answer is Pete Townsend. He helped organize it to get Clapton back on the road. Clapton had been holed up doing drugs and pining over the then Patti Harrison. The death of Duane Allman and the break up of Derek and the Dominoes pile on. Clapton was starting to kick the drugs and Townsend helped put this concert together to help him get back on his feet. The backup musicians were as good as it gets -- Townsend, Steve Winwood, Jim Capaldi, Ronnie Wood, Rick Grech off the top of my head. The live version of Layla is the best live version of the song I've heard. The whole album -- actually the extended version CD, the original album didn't have Layla and some of the other songs on it -- is just fantastic.
    Posted by royf19

Give the man a cigar. Very good Roy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Live Albums : I wouldn't say that. But I love sharp songwriting with an angry edge. I'm a fan of three British performers who started off around the same time and have some similarities in style and attitude. I always referred to them as the 3 angry young men. They are Elvis Costello, Graham Parker, and Joe Jackson. I have been lucky enough to see all of them live and Joe Jackson and Graham Parker have always been outstanding with Elvis Costello trailing close behind but not quite up to their level, IMO. I like how Joe Jackson comes up with different takes on his old material that more often than not work very well and breathe new life into songs that I'm sure he gets sick of playing. He even wrote a double entendre song tiltled "Hit Single" which touches on this very thing as well as talking about the difficulties of the singles scene. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ufO5nsvwNU
    Posted by devildavid

I enjoyed them all. I also enjoyed Howard Jones.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I don't remember if anyone mentioned it:

Pulse -- Pink Floyd. 

Very good even without Roger Waters it was a great show.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UnstableFlux. Show UnstableFlux's posts

At Fillmore East

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

I don't remember if anyone mentioned it: Pulse -- Pink Floyd.  Very good even without Roger Waters it was a great show.
    Posted by royf19

I was at that show, and though I enjoyed it thoroughly, for some reason the recorded version fell flat for me.  Perhaps I should give it another listen....

Incidentally, the more recent David Gilmour: Live at Gdansk concert is outstanding.

Another addition to the list: Santana - Sacred Fire: Live in South America...an absolutely blistering set with some of the most incredible percussion I've ever seen.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Bob Marley & The Wailers- Live!

Short for a live album, but all the songs on this gem are better than the album versions IMO.  Lively Up Yourself gives me shivers everytime I hear this version. The band is drop dead fonkay.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Live Albums : I was at that show, and though I enjoyed it thoroughly, for some reason the recorded version fell flat for me.  Perhaps I should give it another listen.... Incidentally, the more recent David Gilmour: Live at Gdansk concert is outstanding. Another addition to the list: Santana - Sacred Fire: Live in South America...an absolutely blistering set with some of the most incredible percussion I've ever seen.
    Posted by Mattyhorn

You're right about the Gilmour concert.

As for Pulse, I thought the CD was pretty good, but after I saw the DVD, it really took it to another level.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Live Albums : I agree - but some Lizard is not going to like this.
    Posted by jesseyeric

You are going to be surprised that I agree with this.

While I am no fan of Cheap Trick, the live album was definatley their shining moment , much like Peter Frampton who will always be best known for Frampton Comes Alive LP. Frampton was afounding member of Humble Pie, an underappreciated group from the early days of classic rock, he also recorded many good studio LP's ( forget 'I'm in You', though)and has played with Ringo's All Star Band and David Bowie.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

I just read the entire thread and forgive me if I missed it but I didn't see one mention of the greatest Live album ever and what was my first album purchase.

Queen Live Killers.

Shame on all of you Smile

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I just read the entire thread and forgive me if I missed it but I didn't see one mention of the greatest Live album ever and what was my first album purchase. Queen Live Killers. Shame on all of you
    Posted by Tcal2

Actually I did mention Queen, but it was of a very early bootleg.

Because of Freddie - any recorded piece of live Queen music doesn't allow me to truly see the band. Freddie's personality on stage was so huge that you need to be right there.

I have probably seen Queen and Zep more than any other band. And I am not afraid to say that I am a total Freddie junkie.

I am unashamed to say that although I was 33 at the time, I wept like a little boy when Freddie died. Probably only Lennon's death brought more tears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb-Y6mOAqJc

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Have to go with "Live at the Fillmore East" by the Allman Brothers.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

The Rolling Stones-Get your Ya-Ya's out

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Would Jackson Browne's "Running on Empty" count? At least half of it was live.

Other than that, I saw three of my favorites mentioned earlier -- "Rust Never Sleeps," "Under a Blood Red Sky" and "Pack Up the Plantation."

For something completely different, how about Johnny Cash "Live at Folsom Prison?"

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

For something completely different, how about Johnny Cash "Live at Folsom Prison?"
    Posted by LloydDobler

Yeah, great stuff, as is Live at San Quentin.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Would Jackson Browne's "Running on Empty" count? At least half of it was live. Other than that, I saw three of my favorites mentioned earlier -- "Rust Never Sleeps," "Under a Blood Red Sky" and "Pack Up the Plantation." For something completely different, how about Johnny Cash "Live at Folsom Prison?"
    Posted by LloydDobler

Good call on Johnny Cash,that's a great album.For something else that's different how about James Brown "Live at the Apollo"?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

In Response to Re: Live Albums : Good call on Johnny Cash,that's a great album.For something else that's different how about James Brown "Live at the Apollo"?
    Posted by mrmojo1120

Excellent call on JB...an almost flawless performance, and even better than my fave: James Brown - Live at the T.A.M.I. Show

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

Nirvana - Live at the Reading (more of a DVD than an 'album)
    Nirvana - Unplugged
    Alice in Chains - Live
    Alice in Chains - Unplugged
    The Doors - Absolutely Live
    The Rolling Stones - Stripped
    Mad Season - Live at the Moore

Zuckerman, Perlman, Zubin, Metha - Quartet; playing Bach, Vivaldi, Mozart at the Lincoln Center.

And if there's an album corresponding this single spanish guitar piece (Asturias - Ana Vidovic), it's proably one of the best live albums as well:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx7vOb7GNBg&feature=related

...have a whole slew of Doors shows in the mail so we'll see; Felt forums, Boston, Detroit, Chicago, Aquarius....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Nirvana - Live at the Reading (more of a DVD than an 'album) Nirvana - Unplugged Alice in Chains - Live Alice in Chains - Unplugged The Doors - Absolutely Live The Rolling Stones - Stripped Mad Season - Live at the Moore Zuckerman, Perlman, Zubin, Metha - Quartet; playing Bach, Vivaldi, Mozart at the Lincoln Center. And if there's an album corresponding this single spanish guitar piece (Asturias - Ana Vidovic), it's proably one of the best live albums as well:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx7vOb7GNBg&feature=related ...have a whole slew of Doors shows in the mail so we'll see; Felt forums, Boston, Detroit, Chicago, Aquarius....
    Posted by WhatIsItNow

Absolutely LOVE the Doors' version of Bo Diddley's "Who Do You Love" off of the Absolutely Live disc.  And why I tend to prefer their bluesier stuff.

The Doors live recordings always seem to be a bit of a mixed bag, since they were so volatile from show to show.  But when they clicked as a group, they really clicked....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

The Rolling Stones-Get your Ya-Ya's out
    Posted by mrmojo1120

I'm glad someone mentioned this great album.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Roxy and Elsewhere - Zappa

How the heck did I forget this one?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Pearl Jam - The Gorge.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

In Response to Re: Live Albums : Absolutely LOVE the Doors' version of Bo Diddley's "Who Do You Love" off of the Absolutely Live disc.  And why I tend to prefer their bluesier stuff. The Doors live recordings always seem to be a bit of a mixed bag, since they were so volatile from show to show.  But when they clicked as a group, they really clicked....
    Posted by Mattyhorn

Recently gathered from Amazon, relatively cheaply, the series of 1970 tours that went into Absolutely live.

Fantastic shows. 

Pittsburgh, Detroit, NY, Boston.   (I ought to pick up the Acquarius ones,
    '69 and again in '70).

Some don't like Boston because he was thoroughly smashed, but I find there's even more energy there. 

The Felt Forum shows in NY though...man...those are just something else.  At his/their very finest.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Waiting for Columbus- Little Feat. Truly the standard bearer for live albums
    Made in Japan - Deep Purple
    Live Dead - Grateful Dead ('nuff said)
    The Sadies in Concert Vol 1
    Merle Haggard - Just Between The Two Of Us/Fightin Side Of Me
    Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison

Woodstock and Last Waltz obviously

honorable mention to Frampton Comes Alive...just because it was required by law that any teenager needed to have this album between 1976 and 1978

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

U2's "Rattle And Hum" album has lots of live stuff on it.

Sections
Shortcuts