Loose ends and leftovers from other threads

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Loose ends and leftovers from other threads

So many threads come and go here...I thought it might be an idea to have one that picks up the loose ends and leftovers from others and/or is open to any thoughts about music.  On the baseball forums I've been on there is usually at least one thread that just goes on months...I sort of wish we could have one on the music forum too. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Loose ends and leftovers from other threads

One thing I have been meaning to clear up is about the Groundhog Day SOTD.  The OP started it with 'I Got You Babe' by Sonny and Cher, and the next day I posted the same song.  yogafriend said she didn't get the joke.

Groundhog Day, the movie, starred Bill Murray as a conceited sort-of-celebrity weatherman who hated Groundhog Day because each year on that day he had to go to Punxsatawney, Pennsylvania for live coverage of the groundhog festivities.  In a Christmas Carol-like morality play, he is condemned to live Groundhog Day over and over, and each morning he is awakened at 6 AM by 'I Got You Babe' coming out of the clock radio.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

In Response to Re: Loose ends and leftovers from other threads:
    [QUOTE]One thing I have been meaning to clear up is about the Groundhog Day SOTD.  The OP started it with 'I Got You Babe' by Sonny and Cher, and the next day I posted the samsongeyogafriend said she didn't get the joke. Groundhog Day, the movie, starred Bill Murray as a conceited sort-of-celebrity weatherman who hated Groundhog Day because each year on that day he had to go to Punxsatawney, Pennsylvania for live coverage of the groundhog festivities.  In a Christmas Carol-like morality play, he is condemned to live Groundhog Day over and over, and each morning he is awakened at 6 AM by 'I Got You Babe' coming out of the clock radio.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

That's actually very funny!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Another thread I have a followup on is the one about the '50 Worst Albums of All Time' article in Classic Rock magazine.  When I looked at what was in that issue of the magazine (including an article on BOC) I decided to buy it.  So I headed down to the 'Atlantic News' store, which is the place to go in Halifax if you're looking for magazines and newspapers from around the world.

As it happened, that issue of Classic Rock hadn't arrived yet.  They had the preceding issue, which has Joe Bonamassa on the cover.

This is a very expensive magazine-$16 plus tax.  However, they always sweeten the deal with some extra goodies.  This time it included a 10-track CD of Bonamassa songs, plus a 100-page booklet with excerpts from books about rock artists.  So I went for it.

What really amazed me is how many of these rock music and guitar magazines there are now.  Big, glossy, expensive magazines.  There was even one devoted solely to prog-rock music.  Good to see, really, that there are so many music nuts out there that magazines like this can make money.      

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]One thing I have been meaning to clear up is about the Groundhog Day SOTD.  The OP started it with 'I Got You Babe' by Sonny and Cher, and the next day I posted the same song.  yogafriend said she didn't get the joke.
    :D  Joke noted.  

Well, you are very nice to get back to me about that --- I am howling over this.  A film buff I am *not* -- as I said, this went right over my head.  

There are many, many examples of that 'whoosh' affect -- movie quotes or references that go right over my head -- that's just a part of a day in the life for me.  I take after my Dad in this way.   He was born and raised in Europe and even though he lived his adult life in the USA (and of course, became a citizen), he was never what I'd call fully 'Americanized', if you know what I mean.  He was hysterically funny.  I have his DNA. :)

PS  That's enough out of you, Polar.   :D

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

One thing I'd like to mention is that I was surprised that more of you didn't know who the Budgies are  -- maybe you just didn't chime in because I made my post in the form of a band ID query, but there was still an open-ended question left that I thought (at least) one of you would know.   Matty got the answer no sweat (via knowing the covers from Soundgarten and Metallica), but no one else made a comment after the fact.  

They were one of, if not *the* founding fathers of what gave heavy metal prominence.   They did stop gigging for maybe 10 years or so, but this was key:

"Paradoxically in the years that followed Budgie music was to find it’s way to a whole new generation and be heard by millions when covers were released by the likes of Van Halen, Iron Maiden, Soundgarden and the mighty Metallica (who still to this day include Breadfan in their live show)."

So there you go.  Loose end tied.  :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Budgie, yeah...I did a post in my songs blog about 'Napoleon Bona Part 1 and 2' which is a wickedly good metal song.  Oddly enough I've never been able to get into too much of their other stuff.  But I should probably keep trying.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

One general comment on the SOTD threads - it's become increasingly common for posts to include only a youtube link.  It's not so bad now (my company used to block youtube but I guess gave in to its ubiquity), but still since I'm not generally going to listen to the clips at work, it would be more convenient if the posts included the song and artist in addition to the link.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]One general comment on the SOTD threads - it's become increasingly common for posts to include only a youtube link.  It's not so bad now (my company used to block youtube but I guess gave in to its ubiquity), but still since I'm not generally going to listen to the clips at work, it would be more convenient if the posts included the song and artist in addition to the link.
    Posted by gerbs[/QUOTE]

Guilty as charged...

I'll keep in mind that not everyone can run amok at work like I can.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Budgie, yeah...I did a post in my songs blog about 'Napoleon Bona Part 1 and 2' which is a wickedly good metal song.  Oddly enough I've never been able to get into too much of their other stuff.  But I should probably keep trying.

Good and fair enough.  Who knows, you might prefer some of the covers by other bands. I was certain others of you had to know who they were, especially since so many of you are Black Sabbath fans.  It seems to be the covers (and their influence) that have given them very nice visibility among newer listeners.  This is just an example of the way our threads whiz by at times -- hence, this loose ends thread.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

[QUOTE]One general comment on the SOTD threads - it's become increasingly common for posts to include only a youtube link.  It's not so bad now (my company used to block youtube but I guess gave in to its ubiquity), but still since I'm not generally going to listen to the clips at work, it would be more convenient if the posts included the song and artist in addition to the link.
    Posted by gerbs[/QUOTE]

Thank you, gerbs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Cool idea for a thread Hfx.

I had a little conversation with yoga pertaining to history and I never got around to recommending a book I am now reading. It's Albion's Seed: Four British Folkways in America  by David Hackett Fisher. It's not the easiest read, a bit dry, but very interesting as well. If you haven't read it already, I do recommend it as it explores the history of the cultural beginnings of America, before the War for Independence.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Loose ends and leftovers from other threads : Guilty as charged... I'll keep in mind that not everyone can run amok at work like I can.
    Posted by ThefourBs[/QUOTE]

I'm guilty of that too.My bad.
    On another note,"Guilty as charged" was a pretty good song off the "Walk Hard" movie soundtrack.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Loose ends and leftovers from other threads : I'm guilty of that too.My bad. On another note,"Guilty as charged" was a pretty good song off the "Walk Hard" movie soundtrack.
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

Loved that movie.  I think "Let's Duet" was an even better song :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

BTW, in case any of you are wondering where he is or what happened to our friend phsmith, he lost access to BDC at his workplace a few weeks ago. 

Not sure if this will change back, but for now, he is locked out.  He misses the forum tremendously, needless to say.  

Bummer.  :(

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I love the song 'Breadfan' by Budgie. I have a compilation disc of theirs.

Really, like Status Quo, I think this was a group that never really "broke through" to FM classic rock radio. Back in the 70's this was a must as their was no Youtube, internet or even MTV yet.

You could be a huge fan of Rock and not know many of these groups.

Incidently, do think Budgie were fans of 'Bread' ( the soft rock group)?....you know, "Breadfans."

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]BTW, in case any of you are wondering where he is or what happened to our friend phsmith, he lost access to BDC at his workplace a few weeks ago.  Not sure if this will change back, but for now, he is locked out.  He misses the forum tremendously, needless to say.   Bummer.  :(
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

We miss phsmith as much as he misses us.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Loose ends and leftovers from other threads : Loved that movie.  I think "Let's Duet" was an even better song :)
    Posted by chazz508[/QUOTE]

I thought it was a great movie too.It was funny and the original songs were   cleverly written and John C. Reilly sang them well.
      I liked "Let's Duet" too.I believe that's the only song from the movie I've heard played on the radio.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

This is a followup to the 'best replacement singer' thread.  One that was mentioned was Ian Gillan's stint with Black Sabbath.

Before Christmas I was looking for Tony Iommi's solo albums on CD.  The only  ones I could find were from the used sellers on Amazon.  So I checked out Itunes to see what they had.  They had two complete albums, plus a two-song EP that Iommi did with Ian Gillan.  The EP was done to raise money for a music school in Armenia-apparently they've been doing a lot of charity work for Armenia since 1988.

So I bought all of the songs from Itunes.  All good stuff, if you like heavy rock music.

And the two tunes with Gillan, 'Out Of My Mind' and 'Holy Water' are superb.  Very heavy and dark but very well done.  Jon Lord guests on keyboards.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Anybody else here buy music from Itunes?  I've done it a few times now.  It feels a little strange actually paying for music downloads, but I think I like it.  99 cents a song is reasonable, and there's no tax.  The downloads are fast and clean.  Overall a pleasant experience.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]Anybody else here buy music from Itunes?  I've done it a few times now.  It feels a little strange actually paying for music downloads, but I think I like it.  99 cents a song is reasonable, and there's no tax.  The downloads are fast and clean.  Overall a pleasant experience.  

I have no major issues with iTunes, from which I buy sparingly - perhaps 10% of my yearly music purchases - but I have a few minor ones:

1) The exclusion of longer songs from being purchased individually...instead the whole album must be purchased.  This seems a bit arbitrary.  If they can charge $1.29 for a new 3-minute song, then why not for a 9-minute song? 

2) If purchasing an album in its entirety (rare, but still), the full album art/ credits should be offered as a download.  To me, lack of this is a real incentive to buying the physical disc/LP and NOT from iTunes.

3) I do wish that Apple was more transparent about their compensation policies for the artists, both old and new.  Ultimately, I believe a knowledgable consumer is a better consumer, and they could engender more respect by being more accountable for their actions.  (this is aside from their manufacturing practices, which are another issue entirely)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

[QUOTE]BTW, in case any of you are wondering where he is or what happened to our friend phsmith, he lost access to BDC at his workplace a few weeks ago.  Not sure if this will change back, but for now, he is locked out.  He misses the forum tremendously, needless to say.   Bummer.  :(
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

He's missed, but I figured he just quit his job, and decided to follow Radiohead around the World.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Loose ends and leftovers from other threads : He's missed, but I figured he just quit his job, and decided to follow Radiohead around the World.
    Posted by polar123[/QUOTE]

Maybe some day ... but he has the same financial issues that many of us have, ergo -- he needs the day job.   Nice of you to dream on his behalf, however.  :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Loose ends and leftovers from other threads : I have no major issues with iTunes, from which I buy sparingly - perhaps 10% of my yearly music purchases - but I have a few minor ones: 1) The exclusion of longer songs from being purchased individually...instead the whole album must be purchased.  This seems a bit arbitrary.  If they can charge $1.29 for a new 3-minute song, then why not for a 9-minute song?  2) If purchasing an album in its entirety (rare, but still), the full album art/ credits should be offered as a download.  To me, lack of this is a real incentive to buying the physical disc/LP and NOT from iTunes. 3) I do wish that Apple was more transparent about their compensation policies for the artists, both old and new.  Ultimately, I believe a knowledgable consumer is a better consumer, and they could engender more respect by being more accountable for their actions.  (this is aside from their manufacturing practices, which are another issue entirely)
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

The lack of liner notes is huge, I agree, Matty.  On the one hand downloading tunes is near instant gratification, but I do miss getting the credits, notes and lyrics along with it.  To me, having the cd provides all of these and a backup copy, too.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Yoga, I just wanted to mention something about a favorite song of yours (and mine). My wife has a Keith Whitley CD with his original version of "When You Say Nothing At All." Alison Krauss's version first appeared on a Keith Whitley tribute album. Personally, I much prefer Alison's version. But his was a big hit as well and he was a much acclaimed country artist. Give a listen to his version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXPuYNlJqhk