Love from the Roots' Questlove to Robin Williams

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Love from the Roots' Questlove to Robin Williams

Of all the celebrity tributes to Robin Williams, I thought this one was real sweet to post on the Music Forum.   Even if you're not up on the music of The Roots, you'll still appreciate it. 

From Questlove:

"Man. The smallest gesture can mean the world to you. Robin Williams made such an impact on me and didn't even know it. He named checked all of us in the elevator during the 2001 Grammys. I know y'all think I do this false modesty/T Swift "gee shucks" thing to the hilt. But yeah sometimes when you put 20 hour days in you do think it's for naught and that it goes thankless. Grammy time is somewhat of a dark time simply because you just walk around asking yourself is it worth it or not: all the sweat and blood. I just felt like (despite winning grammy the year before) no one really cares all that much for us except for a select few. Especially in that environment I'm which people treat you like minions until they discover what you can do for them...if you're not a strong character you run the risk of letting it get to you.

This particular Sunday we were walking backstage and had to ride the elevator to the backstage area and we piled inside when suddenly this voice just said "questlove.....black thought....rahzel....the roots from Philadelphia!!!! That's right you walked on this elevator saying to yourself "ain't no way this old white dude knows my entire history and discography"....we laughed so hard. That NEVER happened to is before. Someone a legend acknowledged us and really knew who we were (his son put him on to us) man it was a small 2 min moment in real life but that meant the world to me at the time. Everytime I saw him afterwards he tried to top his trivia knowledge on all things Roots associated. Simply because he knew that meant everything to me. May his family find peace at this sad time. I will miss Robin Williams. #RIP." --Questlove

"Darling, he's still dangerous."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re: Love from the Roots' Questlove to Robin Williams

For a brief moment this morning I thought it was Robbie Williams that had topped himself.  No such luck.  ;-)

I have no problem with death/dying when it's at a "good" time and in a "good" way.  I wasn't a huge Robin Williams fan, but I was a fan...it's the vicious illness of depression again destroying what should have been an enjoyed life that I find truly upsetting.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

It's certainly another example of the insidious and far-reaching effects of depression.  Still, to know depression can lead a person to this type of desperation, it's hard to grasp.  I've read some very nice comments today, many of which were written by people who have been touched by depression in their lives in some way, some with a child who is bi-polar or a sister, brother, etc.  Even though we live in a society where people mouth off about just about everything, the privacy of mental illness still prevails.   You never really know ...

I never watched it before this season, even though it's probably been on for 10 years, but I started watching "Last Comic Standing" and it's been a bit of an eye opener in terms of the judges and their comments.  The comedy is fantastic, too, although the editing is over-bearing.  Keenan Ivory Wayans is such an interesting judge, I absolutely love his comments.  When a comic takes their own real-life experiences, and writes their routine with them, especially if they take the absolute worst experiences,  and have even really suffered from them, and can weave them into comic gold, that defines the person as a survivor, and is what constitutes the best stand-up comedy. 

Has anyone ever watched Robin Williams' episode on "Inside the Actor's Studio" ?   I saw someone say that everything is on display, including the underlying pain, in this two-hour performance.  Sounds amazing.   Anyone ever watched that particular episode?

NOTE: Sorry, DD, I didn't see your post re: Williams earlier.   Great youtube video. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's certainly another example of the insidious and far-reaching effects of depression.  Still, to know depression can lead a person to this type of desperation, it's hard to grasp.  I've read some very nice comments today, many of which were written by people who have been touched by depression in their lives in some way, some with a child who is bi-polar or a sister, brother, etc.  Even though we live in a society where people mouth off about just about everything, the privacy of mental illness still prevails.   You never really know ...

I never watched it before this season, even though it's probably been on for 10 years, but I started watching "Last Comic Standing" and it's been a bit of an eye opener in terms of the judges and their comments.  The comedy is fantastic, too, although the editing is over-bearing.  Keenan Ivory Wayans is such an interesting judge, I absolutely love his comments.  When a comic takes their own real-life experiences, and writes their routine with them, especially if they take the absolute worst experiences,  and have even really suffered from them, and can weave them into comic gold, that defines the person as a survivor, and is what constitutes the best stand-up comedy. 

Has anyone ever watched Robin Williams' episode on "Inside the Actor's Studio" ?   I saw someone say that everything is on display, including the underlying pain, in this two-hour performance.  Sounds amazing.   Anyone ever watched that particular episode?

NOTE: Sorry, DD, I didn't see your post re: Williams earlier.   Great youtube video. 

[/QUOTE]

No problem Yoga. I didn't see any activity on the forum so I thought I'd at least acknowledge Williams death. 

I was quite shocked by the news and saddened as well. I feel like I have a bit of insight into depression as I have periods of down moods. These come upon me without warning and seemingly out of the blue. They never get too extreme and are but a small taste of what serious depression probably feels like. But it does make me more sympathetic toward those who do suffer from serious depression. It is a terrible disease that leads someone to suicide to escape the pain. Sometimes mental anguish can be more debilitating than physical pain.

The best we can do is to celebrate Williams' great talent and enjoy what he left for us. His legacy is a positive one, no matter how he died. It is how he lived that matters most.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I was quite shocked by the news and saddened as well. I feel like I have a bit of insight into depression as I have periods of down moods. These come upon me without warning and seemingly out of the blue. They never get too extreme and are but a small taste of what serious depression probably feels like. But it does make me more sympathetic toward those who do suffer from serious depression. It is a terrible disease that leads someone to suicide to escape the pain. Sometimes mental anguish can be more debilitating than physical pain.

The best we can do is to celebrate Williams' great talent and enjoy what he left for us. His legacy is a positive one, no matter how he died. It is how he lived that matters most.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with all of this.  I have also experienced some fairly serious bouts of depression and I know what it's like to think about suicide, though fortunately never to take any actual steps toward it.

It's a sad way for Williams to die.  What is somewhat confounding is that he couldn't derive happiness from his accumulated body of achievements and the pleasure he gave to people.  Those are what he should be remembered for, as you say.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's a sad way for Williams to die.  What is somewhat confounding is that he couldn't derive happiness from his accumulated body of achievements and the pleasure he gave to people.  Those are what he should be remembered for, as you say.

[/QUOTE]

As I'm sure you know, there is more than one type of depression, and many people have the mild form, dysthymia, but never get a diagnosis.   My ex had it, and he "managed" it by exercise, a good diet, and in general, keeping stress under control, and other resources that he learned to use, while never requiring any meds.  He also read like a son of a gun (something I truly admired), lots of science fiction and history, etc.    Sadly, so many people have sad moods and down times that persist, and they are too ashamed to see a doctor or think they are weak because they can't snap out of it on their own.   Simply because we do not get educated in what constitutes "mental illness" and associate with being crazy, as opposed, to being mentally vulnerable, in some way, just as you may have a bad back, or a bad knee which is "visible" and tangible, and understandable.

I'm sure we all have stories we could tell, I sure do, including the death of my cousin's son, who ultimately died of alcohol abuse, but that abuse stemmed from severe depression.   My best friend's cousin also died in a similar way, after years of mood swings, severe depression, etc.  It's out there, we all know this.

You know, I absolutely loved Robin Williams' recent TV comedy, "the Crazy Ones" where he played an ad executive, partnered with his daughter, played by Sarah Michelle Gellar of "Buffy" fame.  I am the only person I knew who watched it, let alone loved it.  I am not a big fan of Williams, nor do I know the full depth of his brilliant career, but I saw this depth in him in this role, and a sadness in his eyes, and such affection in his spirit; I am sure Gellar is crushed over his death, as they had a real connection that was unmistakable.

I agree his life is to be celebrated and respect given to the battle he had with depression.   You know, it all ties in with our discussions about "artists" and if they achieve greater heights if they have a "tortured soul" or have suffered from life's toughest knocks.  As I said above in comedy, the experts say that the best comedy is derived from the truth of one's life experience, and the tougher, the better.   So glad Robin Williams won an Academy Award for his poignant portrayal in "Good Will Hunting" -- he truly left his mark with that role. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]

I feel like I have a bit of insight into depression as I have periods of down moods. These come upon me without warning and seemingly out of the blue. They never get too extreme and are but a small taste of what serious depression probably feels like. But it does make me more sympathetic toward those who do suffer from serious depression.

[/QUOTE]

BTW, my life hasn't been a walk in the park either, for the past couple of years.  There is sorrow that I have to deal with every day of my life.  I try to look at it in a positive light, even though I wish it wasn't there for the reason that it is,  but I had no control over that, so I accept it, as gracefully as I can.  

I'd start a thread on "has your summer been as "un" summery as mine"  but I can't even list all the crap that has happened in the past few months ... man, things can only go up from here.     

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I feel like I have a bit of insight into depression as I have periods of down moods. These come upon me without warning and seemingly out of the blue. They never get too extreme and are but a small taste of what serious depression probably feels like. But it does make me more sympathetic toward those who do suffer from serious depression.

[/QUOTE]

BTW, my life hasn't been a walk in the park either, for the past couple of years.  There is sorrow that I have to deal with every day of my life.  I try to look at it in a positive light, even though I wish it wasn't there for the reason that it is,  but I had no control over that, so I accept it, as gracefully as I can.  

I'd start a thread on "has your summer been as "un" summery as mine"  but I can't even list all the crap that has happened in the past few months ... man, things can only go up from here.     

[/QUOTE]

I can sympathize with you. Recent years have brought a lot of loss and bad luck. The one thing I manage to hold on to is my sense of humor. If I ever lose that, that's when I'll know I'm in serious trouble. 

Coincidentally, I also watched "The Crazy Ones" and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I though Robin Williams did a great job modulating his approach to his character. I was glad that he pulled back and worked so well within the ensemble of actors. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Very sad to hear of Robin Williams passing.I was a big fan ever since I first saw him on "Happy Days".He was truly a great comedian and actor and will be missed. 

Yoga asked:" Has anyone ever watched Robin Williams' episode on "Inside the Actor's Studio" ? I saw someone say that everything is on display, including the underlying pain, in this two-hour performance. Sounds amazing. Anyone ever watched that particular episode?"

Yoga,it was well worth watching even if you're not really a fan of his.Here's a link to the "Inside the actor's studio" with Robin Williams. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IDy5GlUuf8" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IDy5GlUuf8

I can certainly relate to those that suffer from depression.Sometimes simple everyday things like taking a shower or cooking a meal seem like Herculean tasks,everything is just overwhelming.Then there's the stigma attached to it where if you are depressed,they'll say "It's just a phase you're going through"or "Just get over it" but it's just not that simple. It would be nice if people realized those who have depression are not "weak willed" and need to toughen up,but that it's a disorder that can be had by even the most strong willed individuals.

I wish the best for anyone who suffers from this disease.

"Another day closer to the parade"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]

I can sympathize with you. Recent years have brought a lot of loss and bad luck. The one thing I manage to hold on to is my sense of humor. If I ever lose that, that's when I'll know I'm in serious trouble. 

Coincidentally, I also watched "The Crazy Ones" and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I though Robin Williams did a great job modulating his approach to his character. I was glad that he pulled back and worked so well within the ensemble of actors. 

[/QUOTE]

You watched and liked "The Crazy Ones", too?  I have to laugh, as once again, we are kindred spirits in another unlikely place ... or maybe not.   It was a role where he worked well with an ensemble and didn't in any way, upstage any other actor.  Incidentally, I read that the everyone in that cast loved him, and they all said that he was truly humble, and it wasn't a case of "we're here with ROBIN WILLIAMS, YIKES" but that he was happy to be part of the cast himself.   I loved the show also b/c one of the actors used to be on Julia Louis Dreyfus' network comedy, also a show I loved (that also went off the air ... see, I always like the shows that are not "popular" ...). 

As for having a sense of humor, mine is my saving grace as well.   As mentioned, the recent months have been a living hell -- one thing after another, yet, I've managed to find some humor in the most unlikely places, and even "milk" a few bad experiences for a little extra sympathy.   :D   

I just read that Williams was recently diagnosed with Parkinson's, but was not ready to disclose his diagnosis just yet, but with his death, his wife has let it be known.    So as all of these issues come to light, I have to say, "hats off" to Williams for sharing himself so generously all these years.   Many people would not have had his strength. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Very sad to hear of Robin Williams passing.I was a big fan ever since I first saw him on "Happy Days".He was truly a great comedian and actor and will be missed. 

Yoga asked:" Has anyone ever watched Robin Williams' episode on "Inside the Actor's Studio" ? I saw someone say that everything is on display, including the underlying pain, in this two-hour performance. Sounds amazing. Anyone ever watched that particular episode?"

Yoga,it was well worth watching even if you're not really a fan of his.Here's a link to the "Inside the actor's studio" with Robin Williams. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IDy5GlUuf8" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IDy5GlUuf8" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IDy5GlUuf8

I can certainly relate to those that suffer from depression.Sometimes simple everyday things like taking a shower or cooking a meal seem like Herculean tasks,everything is just overwhelming.Then there's the stigma attached to it where if you are depressed,they'll say "It's just a phase you're going through"or "Just get over it" but it's just not that simple. It would be nice if people realized those who have depression are not "weak willed" and need to toughen up,but that it's a disorder that can be had by even the most strong willed individuals.

I wish the best for anyone who suffers from this disease.

"Another day closer to the parade"

[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU, for the link, I will absolutely plan to watch.  I saw someone comment on it, who said it was where Williams laid it all out there, stark and bare. 

When I say I was not a big fan, it has more to do with just not having really followed Williams' career in depth, and not knowing that much about his stand up or live shows.   I also didn't know until this week that he was the Bob Hope of his generation, making the rounds to entertain the troops for many years, a total of 90,000, if you can believe that.   I did love the movies I've seen, of course, "Good Will Hunting" speaks for itself.  So great.   I love him in "The Birdcage" too. 

Thanks again for the link, I appreciate it.  Great to "see" you here, too.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I watched the video and agree with mrmojo, it is well worth watching.    It's utterly amazing. 

I almost got a stomach ache laughing during parts of it, and watching it now, posthumously, only made me hungry to watch more of his standup routines.   The most poignant aspects to it, and those moments would be poignant even if he were alive today, were when he talked about his kids.  The part where he talked about getting clean and sober in reference to knowing he was becoming a father was completely hilarious and irreverent.   He took a very serious topic and turned it upside down. 

Take it from mrmojo, and now me, it's well worth watching.   I absolutely believe, after watching this, that Williams had many, many triumphant moments, and great moments of happiness in his life. 

Thanks again for posting the video for me, mrmojo, especially since you seemed to find the version in FULL, that was recently made available.  

Sections
Shortcuts