Love Me Do

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Love Me Do

Written by Paul McCartney when he was only 16 years old, Love Me Do was the first single released by the Beatles. By May 30, 1964, this song would be number one on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. The song spent only one week at number 1 and was replaced the following week by Chapel of Love by the Dixie Cups. I guess “Love” was a spring theme that year. Love Me Do was released in the US in April of 1964 and took only a few weeks to climb to its brief stint at #1.  It was first released in the UK with less than stellar results and for years, rumor had it that the only reason this song even made it on the British charts was because Beatles manager Brian Epstein personally purchased ten thousand copies, however, no evidence was ever uncovered to prove the truth of it.

Love Me Do has never been one of the more popular Beatles tunes among true Beatles fans. Perhaps this is because although the musical style is somewhat different..a take on the straight blues style popular in the late 1950’s, the message the song delivers is too simple…the lyrics boring and repetitive.

Love Me Do is for sure not one of my favorite Beatles songs. Not being a big fan , I only have a handful…however, I take the simplicity of the song’s lyrics with a grain of salt. After all, like I stated earlier, Paul McCartney was only 16 years old when he wrote it. At 16 love is..well..simple and no doubt repetitive. When you’re 16 ..Love is hardly complicated.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Re: Love Me Do

In Response to Re: Love Me Do:
    Alan White on drums.  The Yes drummer.  Not too many know that.
    Posted by GreginMeffa

I was bored so in researching I went from this website, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Me_Do,
    to Andy White,
    to this website, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_Beatle,
    to Jeff Lynne,
    to Roy Wood,
    to this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8PdHg84zUE,
    among many more.

Thanks for the ride man!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

To me, Love Me Do is the starting point of the Beatles amazing evolution from simplistic pop songs to complex compositions.  It's all good, as the saying goes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Love Me Do always was and always will be one of my fav's.

It just goes to show that pure simplicity can be just as wonderful to an artform as anything that is complex.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Keep it simple stupid...Theres a reason a lot of music people use that saying..

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

To me, Love Me Do is the starting point of the Beatles amazing evolution from simplistic pop songs to complex compositions.  It's all good, as the saying goes.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

I agree with 100%.  To see where they started (releasing in Oct '62) to where they ended in 1969 is hard to comprehend. (That's only 7 years; for those who can't do the math)  And they brought the entire music industry with them.  Love me do may not be my favorite Beatle song but just as I can appreciate the Wright Bro's plane when I look at the space shuttle, I can marvel what Love Me Do did to the R&R world.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i wish you could "like" responses on here. because jkj's nailed it.

where the F have you been man?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Yes, the Wright Bros-space shuttle analogy was very nice.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Love Me Do : I agree with 100%.  To see where they started (releasing in Oct '62) to where they ended in 1969 is hard to comprehend. (That's only 7 years; for those who can't do the math)  And they brought the entire music industry with them.  Love me do may not be my favorite Beatle song but just as I can appreciate the Wright Bro's plane when I look at the space shuttle, I can marvel what Love Me Do did to the R&R world.
    Posted by jkjband

Can't say I feel strongly about the song or this thread, but your response is awesome  -- you're missed around here.  That's crazy math, too.  Laughing  Anyhow, drop by more often. 

Makes me think I need to do a thread on Strawberry Fields Forever so I can heal that wound!!     hahahahhaha.  My comment on SFF was disgraceful (although I have to admit I enjoyed the notoriety) -- but p-mike's was worse, if you recall. 
    Laughing

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

how could we forget? ha

i think he's just waiting for the "WHERE IS JKJ?!" thread...Tongue out

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I believe this is the Beatles song on which John Lennon played a stolen harmonica.

Legend has it he returned years later to the store which he stole it from and paid for it with interest.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

i wish you could "like" responses on here. because jkj's nailed it. where the F have you been man?
    Posted by phsmith8

I heard they found a shiv in his room and took away internet priveleges.....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In Response to Re: Love Me Do : I agree with 100%.  To see where they started (releasing in Oct '62) to where they ended in 1969 is hard to comprehend. (That's only 7 years; for those who can't do the math)  And they brought the entire music industry with them.  Love me do may not be my favorite Beatle song but just as I can appreciate the Wright Bro's plane when I look at the space shuttle, I can marvel what Love Me Do did to the R&R world.
    Posted by jkjband

Well said...!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I believe this is the Beatles song on which John Lennon played a stolen harmonica. Legend has it he returned years later to the store which he stole it from and paid for it with interest.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD
    A stolen harmonica that Delbert McClinton taught him to play. And may I add that I loved the Dixie Cups? Weren't they from Louisiana?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I think what makes Love Me Do even more impressive is if you forget everything that has been done since then and judge the song on how it sounded compare to what was out at the time.

Knowing history and when songs came out, you can get a certain appreciation for groups that were innovative or how they grew from a starting point or simply the freshness of how they sounded when their songs came out.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Agreed Roy - it is not fair to comapre Love Me Do with Strawberry Fields but when compared to so much that was 1962, Love Me Do was absolutely refreshing.

First, it opens with the chorus sung in perfect harmony. And then as it progresses, you see that there really is no verse. It is followed by what you might consider a second chorus only it is not done in harmonies.

The fact is that Love Me Do was a game changer and for that alone, it will always be one of my favorites pieces of music.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

yeah it's weird, i think the "someone like you" part is technically a chorus...or at least a refrain

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

The Beatles had to test the waters with: Love Me Do.  Hmmm .......  I think the waters had to find out if they were big enough for the Beatles.

Sections
Shortcuts