Lynyrd Skynyrd inspiration passes away

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Lynyrd Skynyrd inspiration passes away

From Yahoo.com:

Lynyrd Skynyrd inspiration dies in north Florida

AP, Sep 20, 2010 5:12 pm PDT
    Leonard Skinner, the basketball coach and gym teacher who inspired the name of the Southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd, died Monday in Florida, his daughter said. He was 77.

Skinner died in his sleep at the St. Catherine Laboure Manor in Jacksonville, where he had been living for about a year, his daughter Susie Moore said. Skinner had Alzheimer's disease.

He was working at Robert E. Lee High School in Jacksonville in the late 1960s when he sent a group of students to the principal's office because their hair was too long. Those students later formed a band, using a variation of Skinner's name for their own.

During an interview in January 2009, Skinner said he was always bothered by the way the legend grew to say he was particularly tough on the band members or that he had kicked them out of school, according to The Florida Times-Union, which first reported Skinner's death.

"It was against the school rules," Skinner said then. "I don't particularly like long hair on men, but again, it wasn't my rule."

The band became popular in the mid-1970s, with hits such as "Sweet Home Alabama" and "Free Bird." Three of the band members, including lead singer Ronnie Van Zant, were killed in a 1977 plane crash. The band regrouped and continues to perform today.

Years after sending the young students to the office, Skinner found his son listening to an album called "Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-Nerd." The son, also named Leonard, said his father wasn't particularly impressed.

After discovering the connection, Skinner eventually made friends with some of the band members, according to the paper. They even performed at a Jacksonville bar the former coach owned.

Skinner later allowed the band to use a photo of his Leonard Skinner Realty sign for the inside of their third album, and he once introduced them at a Jacksonville concert.

Skinner's children said their father was never completely comfortable with being linked to the band but did grow to embrace it.

"He made a lot of new friends," Moore said. "That in itself really brought a lot of wonderful people in our family's lives, simply because they were Lynyrd Skynyrd fans, and they wanted to meet Dad. They loved him. They're part of our extended family now."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd inspiration passes away

Learn something new every day.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Lynyrd Skynyrd inspiration passes away:
    [QUOTE]From Yahoo.com: Lynyrd Skynyrd inspiration dies in north Florida AP, Sep 20, 2010 5:12 pm PDT Leonard Skinner, the basketball coach and gym teacher who inspired the name of the Southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd, died Monday in Florida, his daughter said. He was 77. Skinner died in his sleep at the St. Catherine Laboure Manor in Jacksonville, where he had been living for about a year, his daughter Susie Moore said. Skinner had Alzheimer's disease. He was working at Robert E. Lee High School in Jacksonville in the late 1960s when he sent a group of students to the principal's office because their hair was too long. Those students later formed a band, using a variation of Skinner's name for their own. During an interview in January 2009, Skinner said he was always bothered by the way the legend grew to say he was particularly tough on the band members or that he had kicked them out of school, according to The Florida Times-Union, which first reported Skinner's death. "It was against the school rules," Skinner said then. "I don't particularly like long hair on men, but again, it wasn't my rule." The band became popular in the mid-1970s, with hits such as "Sweet Home Alabama" and "Free Bird." Three of the band members, including lead singer Ronnie Van Zant, were killed in a 1977 plane crash. The band regrouped and continues to perform today. Years after sending the young students to the office, Skinner found his son listening to an album called "Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-Nerd." The son, also named Leonard, said his father wasn't particularly impressed. After discovering the connection, Skinner eventually made friends with some of the band members, according to the paper. They even performed at a Jacksonville bar the former coach owned. Skinner later allowed the band to use a photo of his Leonard Skinner Realty sign for the inside of their third album, and he once introduced them at a Jacksonville concert. Skinner's children said their father was never completely comfortable with being linked to the band but did grow to embrace it. "He made a lot of new friends," Moore said. "That in itself really brought a lot of wonderful people in our family's lives, simply because they were Lynyrd Skynyrd fans, and they wanted to meet Dad. They loved him. They're part of our extended family now."
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

You beat me to it. I saw that about an hour or so ago and was going to post it.

Kind of cool that he had a sense of humor about it and let them use the photo of his realty sign.What surprised me was you young he was back when he was their teacher. He was probably in his mid-30s -- around 35 give or take. When I first heard the story about him, I just assumed he was in his 50s or so.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In Response to Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd inspiration passes away:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Lynyrd Skynyrd inspiration passes away : You beat me to it. I saw that about an hour or so ago and was going to post it. Kind of cool that he had a sense of humor about it and let them use the photo of his realty sign.What surprised me was you young he was back when he was their teacher. He was probably in his mid-30s -- around 35 give or take. When I first heard the story about him, I just assumed he was in his 50s or so.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

That's funny,because I assumed the same thing when I first heard the story too.
     I think one of the interesting things in the article was about how the children  made friends with the bands fans and kind of accepted them into their family.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

[QUOTE]true rock n roll fans already knew the origins of the bands name!
    Posted by TheRealHomer[/QUOTE]

The origins, sure.  But what most of us probably heard was that he was especially hard on those guys in school, and it sounds like that was an exaggeration.  I also had a mental image of an old redneck.  There was alot of new to me info in that article, thanks!

I had tickets to see them at the Garden (or was it the Centrum? I can't remember!)  in November of 77.  I think I still have those tix in a box somewhere,  since the show never happened.  I even remember exactly where I was (Cance House Dorm, UMass-Amherst) when I heard about the crash.

I did see the Rossington-Collins Band when they returned to the area for the first time since the crash, about a year later, and they put on a tremendous show at the Orpheum.  Wrapped it up with an instrumental version of Free Bird, with a spotlight on an empty mic center stage.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

A sad day. Almost as sad as the day the plane crash killed Ronnie Van Zandt, Steve Gaines and Cassie Gaines. My favorite Skynyrd song featured Steve Gaines on guitar fwiw. I know a little, it sounded like Chuck Berry crossed with Roy Clark

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I grew up in the South, and needless to say Skynyrd was huge in mid-to-late '70s. For whatever reason, I dismissed them as rednecks with no talent.

Somewhere around 1990, I realized how incredibly wrong I was. These guys were incredibly talented and great songwriters. If you listen to the words of "Curtis Lowe," for instance, you can learn a lot about where they're coming from.

Now, I'm a huge fan of Skynyrd. (By the way, I also dismissed Rush back then, and now I'm a huge fan of Rush. Live and learn).

PS to SlimPickensII: EXCELLENT avatar.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]I grew up in the South, and needless to say Skynyrd was huge in mid-to-late '70s. For whatever reason, I dismissed them as rednecks with no talent. Somewhere around 1990, I realized how incredibly wrong I was. These guys were incredibly talented and great songwriters. If you listen to the words of "Curtis Lowe," for instance, you can learn a lot about where they're coming from. Now, I'm a huge fan of Skynyrd. (By the way, I also dismissed Rush back then, and now I'm a huge fan of Rush. Live and learn). PS to SlimPickensII: EXCELLENT avatar.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

I was the same way with both bands. I did like Freebird a little and I knew they were better than the average Southern Rock band, but for some reason it took me awhile to appreciate a lot of the Southern Rock genre. (Although Blackfoot's Highway Song always was always one of my favorite songs all-time).

I saw Rossington Collins at the T-Bowl (Tangerine Bowl, which is now called the Citrus Bowl) and agree it was a good show and the Freebird instrumental was poignant. I started to come around on Skynyrd about the same time as you -- 1990. What really iced it was later when I saw something Allen Collins (on TV not live) come on stage in a tribute when he was crippled in a wheel chair from the car accident in 1986. Comparing that image of him, all crippled, with the vibrant pictures of him and the band before the plane crash really hit home on how sad the Skynyrd story was. I don't know -- to this day when I see video of Skynyrd in their prime (and to some extent here their music) I always get an melancholy sensation. As time has gone on, I've really come to appreciate their music.

On a side note, I didn't mind when they first regrouped, brought back Ed King, and just replaced Collins and Ronnie Van Zandt. It would have been better if Collins could have played, but because Johnny was the younger brother, it was close enought to the real Skynyrd. I could live with that band calling itself Skynyrd. And if Collins was playing, it was closer to the real thing because Gaines wasn't in the band that long before the crash. At least Collins was part of the reunion as musical director -- for whatever that entailed.

Now, however, with Wilkerson and Powell deceased (and Collins) and Pyle and King retired and just Gary Rossington from the orgininal band, it's just not Skynrd anymore.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

[QUOTE]PS to SlimPickensII: EXCELLENT avatar.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Why thank you!  So what happened to your John Cusack? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd inspiration passes away : Why thank you!  So what happened to your John Cusack? 
    Posted by SlimPickensII[/QUOTE]

Got bored with it.
    Never get bored with Taggert!!
    "Somebody's gonna have to go back and get a s---load of dimes!"

Sections
Shortcuts