Major Minor -- Who Tanked? (or screwed up)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: Major Minor -- Who Tanked? (or screwed up)

In Response to Re: Major Minor -- Who Tanked? (or screwed up):
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Major Minor -- Who Tanked? (or screwed up) : Yes, but there's also a large contingent of people who hear that slickness of Steely Dan in endless 'smooth jazz' contexts (and 'muzak') since, that they view it as 70's AM fluff...in spite of how technically innovative and stylistically diverse it really was.  The lyrics alone are just plain bizarre, but the lyrics aren't usually what comes to mind when they're mentioned. And I kind of disagree about the nostalgia part.  I think artists' jobs first are to create new work and expand on the themes they've done before.  If they want to play all new songs, then we should at least be willing to listen without our own bias for what we like and don't like getting in the way. It's unfortunate, because so much of music is commercially-driven, and musicians still have to make a living, which is not easy.  But if Elvis Costello wants to skip "Allison" altogether, because he's sick of playing it, then that's fine with me.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

I agree. Whenever I go to a concert, I expect the performer to want to play their newest material. Otherwise, why did they record it in the first place? I saw Neil Young perform material from Freedom before the album had been released and I thought it was great. One of my favorite concerts ever was seeing Elvis Costello solo on his Spike tour. The album is not really one of my favorites, but his perfomance of the songs that night was fantastic.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from indygreen. Show indygreen's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Major Minor -- Who Tanked? (or screwed up) : Steely Dan is one of my alltime favorites. I was considering doing a thread about them , but I haven't yet. There is loads and loads of things I would like to say about them. They pretty much were "commercially acceptable" and "commercially successful" right from the start. 'Do it Again' was the first single.. it was huge! Played alot back in '72 , when the great first album came out. I do not think they were a band that veered away from their original sound so much as they fused Jazz into their sound...because they liked it! And because by the time 'Aja' was made they were already a top rock band and could more or less persue a style of music they enjoyed playing. I can use many groups of the 70's and 80's as examples of bands that sold a whole lot of records. This was the Golden Age Of Rock 'n Roll ( to quote Mott The Hoople). These groups were very successful , many are accused of selling out or creating "commercial junk rock." Foriegner , Journey, Styx, Abba, Asia, Genesis. Billy Joel wrote and performed music that always charted well. He was a commercial success in all aspects of the term. Robin Trower was a guitar genius who had numerous great albums....many never got much attention from the mainstream. Few( if any) of Trower's songs are staples on "oldies" and "classic rock" stations...they don't meet the criteria of being old standards and "familiar favorites." I can sit and listen to Steely Dan, Billy Joel or Robin Trower albums for hours. It really never crosses my mind whether this is music that sold well in it's time or whether anyone else even gives a damn about it. I know I like it. 'Goodnight Saigon' By Billy Joel, 'Sign In Stranger' by Steely Dan and 'King Of The Dance' by Robin Trower are 3 af my favorites. You will never hear these played on Classic Rock radio. They weren't poular in their day as singles or even played much by anyone who didn't have the LP. But I can also enjoy 'Movin' Out' By Joel or 'Do It Again' or 'Josie' by Steely Dan and still love them as much today as I did when they first were released. Some music ( in my opinion) is just timeless and great and I can just enjoy it all the time. Whether people label it "pap" or "commercial"...well, these are just labels. Fleetwood Mac's song 'You Make Lovin' Fun' is just an extremely great song with good guitar licks, great beat and the lyrics are also very good. I can also enjoy a whole lot of songs that many casual Rock fans never even heard. I love these equally as much. I am very opinionated about what I dislike, but you know, if many other people like it , maybe it's me who is wrong. However, as long as I can listen to the stuff I like , it's realy hard to say that I am right and others are wrong.  I guess music is just this great pool of all kinds of stuff and you fish out the stuff you like and and call it your own. The "underground" or "noncommercial" music is just harder to gain access to and when you find something that is not in the mainstream and find out it's real good and you really like it, you want to tell everyone. But , as I've found out. most people don't give a damn. So it becomes your private pleasure. In some ways that makes all the more treasured...because you and you alone have these gems to enjoy all by yourself!!! But , surely I 've gone on too long. Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to stand on my podium. I assure you, I have been a "music snob" and realise now that it was wrong. Music is for all of us and people should listen to whatever they like. Don't let others influence you, don't be ashamed to say you like something that others consider "pap." I'm going to possibly shock alot of people by saying that 'Dancing Queen' by Abba is a song that I like to hear, and while a far cry from 'Paranoid' by Black Sabbath, I really do like this song, and never get tired of it...isn't that wierd?
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from indygreen. Show indygreen's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Major Minor -- Who Tanked? (or screwed up) : Steely Dan is one of my alltime favorites. I was considering doing a thread about them , but I haven't yet. There is loads and loads of things I would like to say about them. They pretty much were "commercially acceptable" and "commercially successful" right from the start. 'Do it Again' was the first single.. it was huge! Played alot back in '72 , when the great first album came out. I do not think they were a band that veered away from their original sound so much as they fused Jazz into their sound...because they liked it! And because by the time 'Aja' was made they were already a top rock band and could more or less persue a style of music they enjoyed playing. I can use many groups of the 70's and 80's as examples of bands that sold a whole lot of records. This was the Golden Age Of Rock 'n Roll ( to quote Mott The Hoople). These groups were very successful , many are accused of selling out or creating "commercial junk rock." Foriegner , Journey, Styx, Abba, Asia, Genesis. Billy Joel wrote and performed music that always charted well. He was a commercial success in all aspects of the term. Robin Trower was a guitar genius who had numerous great albums....many never got much attention from the mainstream. Few( if any) of Trower's songs are staples on "oldies" and "classic rock" stations...they don't meet the criteria of being old standards and "familiar favorites." I can sit and listen to Steely Dan, Billy Joel or Robin Trower albums for hours. It really never crosses my mind whether this is music that sold well in it's time or whether anyone else even gives a damn about it. I know I like it. 'Goodnight Saigon' By Billy Joel, 'Sign In Stranger' by Steely Dan and 'King Of The Dance' by Robin Trower are 3 af my favorites. You will never hear these played on Classic Rock radio. They weren't poular in their day as singles or even played much by anyone who didn't have the LP. But I can also enjoy 'Movin' Out' By Joel or 'Do It Again' or 'Josie' by Steely Dan and still love them as much today as I did when they first were released. Some music ( in my opinion) is just timeless and great and I can just enjoy it all the time. Whether people label it "pap" or "commercial"...well, these are just labels. Fleetwood Mac's song 'You Make Lovin' Fun' is just an extremely great song with good guitar licks, great beat and the lyrics are also very good. I can also enjoy a whole lot of songs that many casual Rock fans never even heard. I love these equally as much. I am very opinionated about what I dislike, but you know, if many other people like it , maybe it's me who is wrong. However, as long as I can listen to the stuff I like , it's realy hard to say that I am right and others are wrong.  I guess music is just this great pool of all kinds of stuff and you fish out the stuff you like and and call it your own. The "underground" or "noncommercial" music is just harder to gain access to and when you find something that is not in the mainstream and find out it's real good and you really like it, you want to tell everyone. But , as I've found out. most people don't give a damn. So it becomes your private pleasure. In some ways that makes all the more treasured...because you and you alone have these gems to enjoy all by yourself!!! But , surely I 've gone on too long. Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to stand on my podium. I assure you, I have been a "music snob" and realise now that it was wrong. Music is for all of us and people should listen to whatever they like. Don't let others influence you, don't be ashamed to say you like something that others consider "pap." I'm going to possibly shock alot of people by saying that 'Dancing Queen' by Abba is a song that I like to hear, and while a far cry from 'Paranoid' by Black Sabbath, I really do like this song, and never get tired of it...isn't that wierd?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Thanks for reposting my awesome speech!

I knew it was good, but I don't think these guys want to read it over and over again.

But, I wouldn't blame them. I've read '2001: A Space Odyssey' two or three times and I might read it again!...it's that good!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks for reposting my awesome speech! I knew it was good, but I don't think these guys want to read it over and over again. But, I wouldn't blame them. I've read '2001: A Space Odyssey' two or three times and I might read it again!...it's that good!

I was wondering if that was a way of saying "encore, encore" --  :D

As for re-reading a book, that's not only a way to enhance your reading experience with a particular book -- re-reading books is a recommended practice by the literary elite -- seriously.   I heard a fantastic narrative on this, and the theory is that every time you re-read a book, you have grown as a person, and your experience with the book will be different each time -- not only that, but you will always pull different aspects of the work out, see them differently, and learn, see, and feel differently as well.  

There is a tendency to feel that there is so much literature to read and experience, it's impossible (and even a waste of time) to re-read a book, but the opposite it true:  it's a practice more people should develop with books that they love, far more enriching than being quantity oriented.

Anyhow, another helping of "2001, a Space Odyssey" -- comin right up. :)
    BRAVO.  

NOTE:  Think of the hundreds upon hundreds of times (thousands?) we hear songs over and over.  Boggles the mind.  :)