Mazzy Star (the 17-year wait is over -- not that you were waiting)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Mazzy Star (the 17-year wait is over -- not that you were waiting)

Mazzy Star, the dark, dreamy alternative band that met with their own brand of critical and popular acclaim in the 1990s,  has announced an upcoming album release, their first in 17 years.  That's right, their last album was released in 1996.   

A fan in the 1990's, their sound and style certainly influenced my taste in music.  In fact, Beach House, a band I now prefer, has been compared to Mazzy Star.   Funny how that works.  

Mazzy Star was not the most popular band on the scene, and it's funny to see them referred to as "beloved" when there are plenty of people who never heard of them.   That's okay, I'd hardly call them beloved, either.  :)   But for the people who care, and who might want an "update", they're getting that chance with the release of "Season's of Your Day" this coming September.   

The lead single, "California", was released today.  Darn nice, IMO.  

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/16/mazzy-star-california-seasons-of-your-day_n_3606397.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: Mazzy Star (the 17-year wait is over -- not that you were waiting)

Also, from The Guardian:

"All of the band's original members appear on the record, led as always by singer Hope Sandoval and guitarist David Roback. Seasons Of Your Day also includes appearances by folk icon Bert Jansch, who died in 2011, and My Bloody Valentine drummer Colm Ó Cíosóig. Recorded in Norway and California.

Despite two Top 50 albums, Mazzy Star have remained a cult act instead of breaking through to the mainstream.** Sandoval has collaborated with artists including the Chemical Brothers, Air and the Jesus and Mary Chain, and was invited to perform at two All Tomorrow's Parties festivals, curated by Jim Jarmusch and Matt Groening."

** I'm not sure I consider them a "cult" act, as much as they may have a "cult-like" following.   Anyone have an opinion?  :)   

"I really didn't say everything I said."  Yogi Berra 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

Mazzy Star, the dark, dreamy alternative band that met with their own brand of critical and popular acclaim in the 1990s,  has announced an upcoming album release, their first in 17 years.  That's right, their last album was released in 1996.   

A fan in the 1990's, their sound and style certainly influenced my taste in music.  In fact, Beach House, a band I now prefer, has been compared to Mazzy Star.   Funny how that works.  

Mazzy Star was not the most popular band on the scene, and it's funny to see them referred to as "beloved" when there are plenty of people who never heard of them.   That's okay, I'd hardly call them beloved, either.  :)   But for the people who care, and who might want an "update", they're getting that chance with the release of "Season's of Your Day" this coming September.   

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/16/mazzy-star-california-seasons-of-your-day_n_3606397.html

Has it been 17 years!! To be honest, I'm still hypnotized by Hope Sandoval. I gave the new song a listen. Not bad, pretty much what you would expect. They stay true to their sound, and that's what makes them unique. Count me in the beloved camp, ha  :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to polar123's comment:

Has it been 17 years!! To be honest, I'm still hypnotized by Hope Sandoval. I gave the new song a listen. Not bad, pretty much what you would expect. They stay true to their sound, and that's what makes them unique. Count me in the beloved camp, ha  :)

I certainly thought they were pretty great at the time, but once they faded out, I moved on.   As stated, they influenced my taste and for that, I can't help but appreciate what they brought to alt rock.   The new lead single is pretty nice, agree.   If the entire album is that good, it will be a nice update.   

I don't, and I mean DO NOT look like her (and cannot emphasize that enough), but someone told me that I "resembled" Sandoval back around the time they had their hits.  It was a bit of a stretch ... but I have to admit I paid more attention to them after that.   hahaha.   She's *not* my doppleganger.  :D   

Because they were never mainstream, I often feel that Sandoval has been underappreciated, but that's very subjective, as always.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MazzyFan. Show MazzyFan's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment: I was a huge fan of Mazzy Star's music but apparently she and her representatives have become too big for helping children with cancer… I just wanted to share this story with other fans because i'm quite disappointed.

The company I work for is producing a video for a non-profit organization that supports the families of pediatric cancer patients. It would have raised awareness and funding to help countless families struggling with cancer! We asked for permission to use the song Mazzy Star's ‘Fade Into You’ but her agent was usually unresponsive, incredibly rude and provided no reason for the final cold rejection. He's a real class act, our email correspondence is worth a read: 
    http://ambrette3.wordpress.com/2013/...ncer-patients/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Sorry to hear about the difficulties you've encountered re: the use of a Mazzy Star song for your video.   Sounds like a worthy cause.   Maybe another choice of song, from another band, will work just as well and you'll be granted permission with no trouble.  Good luck.  

NOTE: What is it about my threads that get picked up by these bot posters?  :)

I never make the same mistake twice.  I make it five or six times, just to be sure.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MazzyFan. Show MazzyFan's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment: Thanks yogafriend. We'll probably end up using another song. I had just hoped that Mazzy Star - a band that I've respected for many years would be more receptive or even respond to a request for such a good cause. I was excited for the new album too so It's very dissapointing. 

I've lost a lot of respect for them. 

Sorry to hear about the difficulties you've encountered re: the use of a Mazzy Star song for your video.   Sounds like a worthy cause.   Maybe another choice of song, from another band, will work just as well and you'll be granted permission with no trouble.  Good luck.  

I never make the same mistake twice.  I make it five or six times, just to be sure.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Hi MazzyFan, and thanks for the update; I very much appreciate hearing from you.   I, too, am very disappointed and dismayed by Mazzy Star's absence of a "heart" in this situation.   One never knows.   I hope it was only band management, and not the band mates themselves that caused the lack of receptiveness. 

The new album will be released in September, but I will boycott (privately) on your behalf.   Keep up the good work (and the good fight) and feel free to return and let me know what song wins your favor.   I'm on your side, and wish you all the best.   Don't let this keep you down.   :)

In response to MazzyFan's comment:

In response to yogafriend's comment: Thanks yogafriend. We'll probably end up using another song. I had just hoped that Mazzy Star - a band that I've respected for many years would be more receptive or even respond to a request for such a good cause. I was excited for the new album too so It's very dissapointing. 

I've lost a lot of respect for them. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

It's pretty disheartening to read this. Their manager seems like a real piece of work. I wonder if he even ran it by the band?  I noticed that the annual Jimmy Fund telethon is happening back in Boston today. Perhaps, if Mr. Gironda spent a few hours listening to the many families affected, and artists who have donated their time, and music for that event, it may cause a change of heart. Probably not.

Edit: Mazzy fan, perhaps you should try and reach out to Sheryl Crow's manager. I have seen her song Safe and Sound, used in similar circumstances.  She's a cancer survivor and would probably be more receptive. Just a thought. Good luck.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to polar123's comment:

It's pretty disheartening to read this. Their manager seems like a real piece of work. I wonder if he even ran it by the band?  I noticed that the annual Jimmy Fund telethon is happening back in Boston today. Perhaps, if Mr. Gironda spent a few hours listening to the many families affected, and artists who have donated their time, and music for that event, it may cause a change of heart. Probably not.

Edit: Mazzy fan, perhaps you should try and reach out to Sheryl Crow's manager. I have seen her song Safe and Sound, used in similar circumstances.  She's a cancer survivor and would probably be more receptive. Just a thought. Good luck.

Of course we don't know for certain, but I'm inclined to think that the band was not involved in this decision, nor were they notified (just my take); it seems to have been dismissed out of hand.   It probably was perceived as a non-money maker, and that was the end of it.  You know, it's always about the money, right?  The correspondence wasn't particularly clear however.  Not being a fan of Sheryl Crow (although nothing against her, either)... well, we don't really know how well any other song would fit the video,  but once the disappointment wears off, a better song than Mazzy's is out there.  I stand by my promise to boycott the new album.   :P  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

I used to have a crush on Hope Sandoval. That voice and that hippie look. Oh my.

I'm sure she would be honest to goodness flattered if she knew.   Cool

She's quite the thing. 

Sections
Shortcuts