Meanwhile, on another continent: Kraftwerk's 8-day stint at London's Tate Modern

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Meanwhile, on another continent: Kraftwerk's 8-day stint at London's Tate Modern

Just ran into a slew of glowing and enticing articles re: Kraftwerk's residency at London's Tate Modern Gallery, where they are performing their discography in full.   

Astonishing.   And thanks to the forum, I know who they are: I've seen the light.  :)

Far be it for me to begin to summarize the reviews and articles on the success of the concerts at the Tate.  Too extensive.  But hey, among the audience members seen at one performance were PSB's Neil Tennant and Duran Duran's Nick Rhodes.   

Even if you usually have no desire to see a concert, if you were *forced* to see one, one of these concerts would be (or have been, as the series is just about over) a serious contender to attend.  Agreed?

"The Tate is the perfect venue for them, not least because of the incredible acoustics of the Turbine Hall, but also because Kraftwerk's legacy stands somewhere between popular culture and art.

Their experimental music has not stopped its influential power. Indeed, entire genres would probably not exist if it weren't for Kraftwerk's wholly original approach to music. The Guardian described them as "one of the most iconic bands of all time" while the Art Desk describes their performance at the gallery as "effortless perfection"

There is only one original member of Kraftwerk left, but according to the press, that does not reduce them to a "tribute" band by any measure (see below):

"The venues Kraftwerk appears in (who else has performed at the Tate Modern?!) and the kind of energy and crowd they elicit is not merely unique, but impressive. 

All of this, though, is mere myth, it relies on the powers of both belief and fandom for Kraftwerk shows to actually be Kraftwerk shows rather than 'just tribute'.

And while those powers of belief and fandom are certainly integral, it would be nothing without the band's performance following through on its promise of brilliance.

For the Telegraph, Kraftwerk have lost nothing in their 40 year career, "chilling in 1975, spine-tingling in 2013."

Appearing until February 14th ... but I have a feeling that last show is sold out.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: Meanwhile, on another continent: Kraftwerk's 8-day stint at London's Tate Modern

For those of you who are interested, here's a review from one of the concerts in British GQ (I've copied the first paragraph, only -- for full review, use the link):

"Having crashed the Tate ticket office in spectacular fashion, Kraftwerk's residency at Bankside's most imposing gallery is without question one of the early cultural highlights of 2013. The night GQ heads to the Turbine Hall we're scheduled to hear 1977 album Trans-Europe Express. Eight hundred people - all wearing white 3D glasses - wait expectantly for the opening strains of "Europe Endless".

At 10.30pm sharp, Kraftwerk appear, taking their places behind their illuminated workstations that that look like futuristic lecterns. Ralf Hutter stands on the left, each of the four members identically dressed in black neoprene suits emblazoned with a reflective grid design that echoes the sharp black and white 3D graphics that are projected above them ..."

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/entertainment/articles/2013-02/13/kraftwerk-trans-europe-express-tate-modern-review

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Meanwhile, on another continent: Kraftwerk's 8-day stint at London's Tate Modern

Kraftwerk - a seriously influential band and I am glad to see that they are still having an impact on many. I was never really a fan, but I did respect them.

Sections
Shortcuts