Megadeth vs Metallica (A Headbangers Dream)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Megadeth vs Metallica (A Headbangers Dream)

I hope you all have some time to view all the clips I have here. Even those of you who are not metal heads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU-dKoFZT0A&feature=related

Megadeth - Tout Le Monde

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYUMPKFYd6g

Metallica - Unforgiven

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa_Cz7_bPuI

Megadeth - Peace Sells (First Offical Video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM8bTdBs-cw

Metallica - One (First Official Video)

The question of the ages in the 80's - The rift between Metallica and Dave Mustaine of Megadeth was well known and extremely hostile. Only recently did they sit down and talk it out. However, Metallica and the RnR HoF chose not to include Dave in Metallica's induction.

Both bands along with Anthrax and Slayer make up what is considered the core four of Thrash Metal. Being a NYer, I am somewhat partial to Anthrax, but that is because they are a NY band. That being said, I know that Anthrax is a notch below these bands even though Anthrax was a major ifluence on both bands back in the early 80's.

Metallica obviously has gotten the worldwide recognition because of the immense success of the self-titled release (Black Album), but over the twenty plus years, I think Megadeth has been more consistent in their music. So the arguement continues on Youtube and everywhere else, who is greater, Metallica or Megadeth!

Do you have an opinion or is is just a pointless arguement?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Megadeth vs Metallica (A Headbangers Dream)

I like Megadeth better.

But, I will take anything Metal over most of the cr@p being churned out today.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Megadeth vs Metallica (A Headbangers Dream):
    I don't know if I've listened to Megadeth actually, so I cannot vote However, I have used a couple amazon promotional credits to nab a few Metallica songs from Ride The Lightning. Meh. Loud and fast, but the rhtyms tended to bore me. Generally to simplistic. I never really liked his voice, but it sounded really high pitched/soft, not like the gravelly-er "Sandman", etc.
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow

Yeah, I like a few Metallica songs and I know zilch about Megadeth.

Sorry jessey, it seems I'm a staunch hard rock fan more than I am a true metal fan.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I respectfully abstain from voting.

When the 'controversy' happened, hardly anyone knew who either band was, and I followed them both afterwards.  The differences seemed to be in their sensibilities and styles, but otherwise, they both made great songs and a few choice albums.

One could look at it as kind of a Clapton/Beck thing, with their careers taking totally different paths but with a grudging mutual respect.

From my experience though, it seems like Megadeth fans are slightly more devoted, while Metallica fans are more numerous. 

I agree that they, along with Slayer and Anthrax, formed the backbone of (American) metal in the 80s.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Living Colour.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I don't know if I've listened to Megadeth actually, so I cannot vote However, I have used a couple amazon promotional credits to nab a few Metallica songs from Ride The Lightning. Meh. Loud and fast, but the rhtyms tended to bore me. Generally to simplistic. I never really liked his voice, but it sounded really high pitched/soft, not like the gravelly-er "Sandman", etc.
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow

Hope you had the chance to view the clips.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I respectfully abstain from voting. When the 'controversy' happened, hardly anyone knew who either band was, and I followed them both afterwards.  The differences seemed to be in their sensibilities and styles, but otherwise, they both made great songs and a few choice albums. One could look at it as kind of a Clapton/Beck thing, with their careers taking totally different paths but with a grudging mutual respect. From my experience though, it seems like Megadeth fans are slightly more devoted, while Metallica fans are more numerous.  I agree that they, along with Slayer and Anthrax, formed the backbone of (American) metal in the 80s.
    Posted by MattyScornD

Matty - I like the analogy of Clapton/Beck.

Interestingly enough, you can usually see the difference in a band once they have gone sober. With Metallica, since they hit the wagon, they seem to be trying too hard whereas with Mustaine and Megadeth, they have lost none of their poison and sense of who they are. And now that Elfson is back, it is full steam ahead.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Megadeth vs Metallica (A Headbangers Dream) : Matty - I like the analogy of Clapton/Beck. Interestingly enough, you can usually see the difference in a band once they have gone sober. With Metallica, since they hit the wagon, they seem to be trying too hard whereas with Mustaine and Megadeth, they have lost none of their poison and sense of who they are. And now that Elfson is back, it is full steam ahead.
    Posted by jesseyeric

It's not a perfect analogy, but it has a little merit.

One notable difference I can think of is the prevalence of twin guitar leads in Megadeth's music, which has its own basis in other heavy metal bands.  There may also be a LA vs. SF dynamic at work.

I would be interested to hear more of the metal community's more informed, collective take upon the rivalry.  I admit to not hearing a whole lot of their recent work (and metal in general) in the past 15 or so years, but from what I've heard, I'll give Mustaine & Co. the current edge.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Matallica......................

Sections
Shortcuts