Money, Politics, Marketing and Advertising in Music

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Money, Politics, Marketing and Advertising in Music

The artistic side of music can be beautiful.  The business side can be ethical, but then some situations that happen are downright unfair and ugly.  Or maybe there is a mixture of good and bad.  Does anybody want to comment?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Money, Politics, Marketing and Advertising in Music

Without the business side of music , much of what I've heard in my life would never have reached my ears.

That being said, one of the most famous acts of all time was turned down by numerous record labels. Also, one of the most successful platinum selling rock acts of the 70's and 80's ( albums singles, airplay) would have never seen the light of day but for persistence.

The former- the Beatles. The latter -Foriegner.

I think , maybe, the success of Elvis, the Beatles and even the Monkees enabled lots and lots of Rock acts to be given a shot they may never have had if these others had failed (commercially). Seriously , a bunch of rednecks like Lynyrd Skynyrd ( and I use the term "redneck" affectionately) might have been laughed at in a pre-60's rock environment (when rag tag groups of hippies were selling lots of records...Country Joe and the Fish, Arlo Guthrie, etc.).....and that would have been a travesty.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

The musical landscape is littered with bands who were either scrooed royally by business interests or lavished undue amounts of praise upon by commercial bias.

That's why I don't necessarily begrudge older, nostalgia acts from trying to bank on past achievements when they have the chance to do so.  For a short while, they can still feel like rock stars even if they're too old to act like rock stars  (looking at you, Stones).  There's certainly no shame in trying.

However, one thing has always seemed to be true: good music will always attract an audience even if it doesn't sell very many records.  And if the band truly respects their audience and in turn earns the respect of the audience, then they will always be successful.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

In Response to Re: Money, Politics, Marketing and Advertising in Music:
    [QUOTE]The musical landscape is littered with bands who were either scrooed royally by business interests or lavished undue amounts of praise upon by commercial bias. That's why I don't necessarily begrudge older, nostalgia acts from trying to bank on past achievements when they have the chance to do so.  For a short while, they can still feel like rock stars even if they're too old to act like rock stars  (looking at you, Stones).  There's certainly no shame in trying. However, one thing has always seemed to be true: good music will always attract an audience even if it doesn't sell very many records.  And if the band truly respects their audience and in turn earns the respect of the audience, then they will always be successful.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

Very good points.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

[QUOTE]There once was a band called Luna Whom we should have heard of soona Big biz stole their rights Luna said good night And the Berlin Airlift had no tune-as
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]
    Was their song: 100 Luftballoons and the lead singer was, Nina?  Or am I mistaken?

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Money, Politics, Marketing and Advertising in Music : Quite. That was Nena. Luna (originally orchestra Luna) was a local band with Rick (Kinscherf) Berlin up front, Steve Perry, guitar, Chet Cahill, bass, Bob Brandon, keys and Joe (Petruzelli) Pet on drums.  They later became the Berlin Airlift, and cut an album. This was their "hit".  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHQDDktCgZ0
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]
    I listened.  Was Over The Hill, a nationally ranked hit for Berlin Airlift?  If not, it should have been.