Moon Safari: Seventies-inspired progressive rock

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Moon Safari: Seventies-inspired progressive rock

Moon Safari is a prog rock band from Sweden.  If you are a fan of prog rock from the Golden Age, so to speak, there's no telling which side of the Moon Safari fence you will fall, as they are heavily influenced by Yes, Genesis, Kansas, Ambrosia, etc., yet, they have their own sound and identity.   Will they appeal to you?   That's for you to discover, if you haven't already.  

They may not have the heft of some of the original prog bands, but they are the new, updated face of the genre, which should be encouraging; they've been forging their path for 10-years.   Is their sound ca. 1970-something?  Some think it is.  

This post isn't a recommendation as much as it is PSA for a new prog band with potential for you to check out if you're a fan of the genre.   They may be too 'sweet' for your taste,  but I'd be surprised if you weren't at least somewhat impressed.    They may not be your version of true prog, but then again, it's 2013, and the future is now.   You may like and appreciate the complexity of the song arrangements, but may find the lyrics, here and there, sappy, cheesy, or too optimistic. :)   Then again, that might be a nice change for your usual lyrical diet.  Those are the disclaimers, plain and simple.    But what do I know?  I'm not sure what I think of them myself.  :)    Just thought it would be fun to introduce a new-ish band for the new year.  

The band released a LIVE album in 2012 entitled, "Gettysburg Address" -- from their live performance at Gettysburg, PA's Rosfest 2011.  

http://www.therecordlabel.net/progressive-rock/moon-safari/the-gettysburg-address/

**NOTE: Not to be confused with the album by  Air. ** 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Moon Safari: Seventies-inspired progressive rock

Very pleasant sound. I can hear the influence of Yes and Ambrosia ( never really thought of Ambrosia as Prog Rock....all a matter of opinion , I guess). I find more in common with softer rock groups, perhaps Genesis, maybe ABBA.

Overall, I would love to hear this type music at work. I think it would be very nice to have in the background. But, to sit and listen to it, well maybe for a time or two.

I have reached a saturation point with music , where there is just more good music out there than I have time to hear. I don't even get enough time to listen to the incredible amount of good stuff that I own....let alone the stuff I've never been exposed to. I have some young co-workers who keep me informed of newer stuff ( and sometimes not so new) , lots of it is real good, lots of it is just okay.....and we all seem to agree on what stinks ( there's lots and lots of that , too!).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

I have reached a saturation point with music , where there is just more good music out there than I have time to hear. 

Ha!  It finally happened to you too.  When it comes to music my mind is like an overstuffed container. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Not "finally", actually , I may have reached this point around 1996 or perhaps a year or two later.

I have CDs I bought in the 90s I have played once or twice and never played since. Not because I don't like them , but because when I do get a few hours ( usually late Sunday afternoon or evening ) to relax with the stereo, I will reach for the old classics. Last weekend I brought out Doobie Brothers, Captain and Me....incredibly good , even 40 years later. Not a bad track on this album.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Very pleasant sound. I can hear the influence of Yes and Ambrosia ( never really thought of Ambrosia as Prog Rock....all a matter of opinion , I guess). I find more in common with softer rock groups, perhaps Genesis, maybe ABBA.

Overall, I would love to hear this type music at work. I think it would be very nice to have in the background. But, to sit and listen to it, well maybe for a time or two.

I have reached a saturation point with music , where there is just more good music out there than I have time to hear. I don't even get enough time to listen to the incredible amount of good stuff that I own....let alone the stuff I've never been exposed to. I have some young co-workers who keep me informed of newer stuff ( and sometimes not so new) , lots of it is real good, lots of it is just okay.....and we all seem to agree on what stinks ( there's lots and lots of that , too!). 

Glad you checked it out, and liked it; it's good to know there is (still) decent music being made, and that prog rock is being picked up by the next generation.  Seems to be big in Europe.  

I hear you re: saturation and time to explore.  I just try, one way or another, to keep exploring, but like you, it's not the way I want to spend all of my spare time.  I want to listen to the music I have, relax and be present with it.   

I'm fairly disillusioned with lots of the so-called alt / indie music lately, too, it's not just the pop music that is crap.   Lots of alt music sounds like it's being mailed in, just the way standard pop music is, so there's no dividing line in what stinks at this rate.  :P

NOTE: There's a band called Air, that made an album called Moon Safari, that met with critical and popular acclaim about 15 years ago.  It was re-issued several years ago.  It's electronica dance music, or some category of ambient ... which I am beginning to think includes far more than is actually ambient.   I also saw it referred to as jazzy / pop / lounge music  --- but it sounds a bit like where electronic meets disco.  The jury is still out.   :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Listen to the song "Yasgur's Farm" by Moon Safari. Toward the end of the song are some vocals that made me think, "Donnie and Marie go prog". The beginning of the song even sounds a little like country rock. A little bit country, a little bit prog. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_RtFxctTek

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

Listen to the song "Yasgur's Farm" by Moon Safari. Toward the end of the song are some vocals that made me think, "Donnie and Marie go prog". The beginning of the song even sounds a little like country rock. A little bit country, a little bit prog. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_RtFxctTek

That's funny.

I remember a schlocky song by Terry Jacks called 'Seasons In The Sun' which was a hit single around the mid 70s. There was a great punk/ alternative version done by Too Much Joy. Sonic Youth did an excellent cover of the Carpenters , 'Superstar.'

Two easy listening , pop songs turned upside down , and they are excellent.

I have suggested to my co-worker and friend who plays guitar in a Heavy Metal band, Balam (out of Newport), to play Heavy Metal cover versions of songs from easy listening artists. They prefer to write their own material mostly...but I will see if I can get them to cover a Donnie and Marie Osmond song as a Heavy Metal version....and these guys are extremely Heavy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Speaking of the Carpenters, they had a single foray into "far out" space music. I can picture David Bowie wearing either Richard's or Karen's outfits seen in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teBV0EoJJY8

Sections
Shortcuts