More re: "where am I?" festivals -- What do you think?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

More re: "where am I?" festivals -- What do you think?

Not to beat a poor defenseless horse re: the festival thing -- but honestly, would you know, if you saw these artists listed as a lineup for a festival, that they were the main headliners for The New Orleans JAZZ and HERITAGE Festival?

Certainly, not all of them, but is Fleetwood Mac a headscratcher?   

Billy Joel    Fleetwood Mac    Dave Matthews Band     Maroon 5  
    The Black Keys     John Mayer     Widespread Panic
    Daryl Hall and John Oates     Phoenix    B.B. King     Frank Ocean  

Earth, Wind & Fire ʉۢ Willie Nelson & Family ʉۢLittle Big Town
    George Benson ʉۢJill Scott ʉۢJimmy Cliff ʉۢGipsy Kings Jeffrey Osborne ʉۢPatti Smith
    Ben Harper and Charlie Musselwhite  â€¢Band of Horses Gary Clark Jr.  Los Lobos ... edited for posting ...

Otherwise, I'm sure lots of the lesser known bands (dozens of them) are probably right on the money for NO Jazz Fest.   

April 26th - May 5th (if you're interested)

http://lineup.nojazzfest.com/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: More re:

In response to yogafriend's comment:

Not to beat a poor defenseless horse re: the festival thing -- but honestly, would you know, if you saw these artists listed as a lineup for a festival, that they were the main headliners for The New Orleans JAZZ and HERITAGE Festival?

Certainly, not all of them, but is Fleetwood Mac a headscratcher?   

Billy Joel    Fleetwood Mac    Dave Matthews Band     Maroon 5  
    The Black Keys     John Mayer     Widespread Panic
    Daryl Hall and John Oates     Phoenix    B.B. King     Frank Ocean  

Earth, Wind & Fire ʉۢ Willie Nelson & Family ʉۢLittle Big Town
    George Benson ʉۢJill Scott ʉۢJimmy Cliff ʉۢGipsy Kings Jeffrey Osborne ʉۢPatti Smith
    Ben Harper and Charlie Musselwhite  â€¢Band of Horses Gary Clark Jr.  Los Lobos ... edited for posting ...

Otherwise, I'm sure lots of the lesser known bands (dozens of them) are probably right on the money for NO Jazz Fest.   

April 26th - May 5th (if you're interested)

http://lineup.nojazzfest.com/

Maybe not, but NO Jazz Fest is a two-week event with hundreds of performances, so it's only natural that it becomes a bouillebaisse of sorts.

I always thought Lindsay Buckingham took more of a jazz approach to the guitar.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Pretty much what I meant in the Newport thread. The fact that these rock acts as great as they are will be playing at the NOJF. It's all a bit confusing. Name it the New Orleans Jazz and Rock festival :)   Same applys to Newport and elsewhere. What I meant by mainstream is that some of these festivals seem to be catering to a broader base than in the past with some of these artists, and farther away from its origins. Musical styles are getting  a little blurred.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to polar123's comment:

Pretty much what I meant in the Newport thread. The fact that these rock acts as great as they are will be playing at the NOJF. It's all a bit confusing. Name it the New Orleans Jazz and Rock festival :)   Same applys to Newport and elsewhere. What I meant by mainstream is that some of these festivals seem to be catering to a broader base than in the past with some of these artists, and farther away from its origins. Musical styles are getting  a little blurred.  

Spot on.  No turning back.  I remember posting about George Wein, the legendary producer of the first jazz festival, which is Newport's Jazz Festival; next year will be the 60th year celebration and with that in mind, one can hardly expect that nothing would have changed in over a half century.   Still ... looking at the landscape in this way, it's clear that anyone that really wants a distinctive experience, isn't going to find it in these big festival venues.  Gone.  That's why I called the thread the "where am I" festival thread.  :)  

So much for festivals for this week.  Nice to think about warm weather, though.  

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to ClarkGriswold's comment:

I always thought Lindsay Buckingham took more of a jazz approach to the guitar.

Very underrated guitar player.  I wouldn't call it jazz. More so a fingerplucking country/folk/orck thing.

I was thinking more on the jazz improv side of things, but you're right.  Agreed he's underrated.

Sections
Shortcuts