More trivia - can you name the songwriters of these two songs without looking it up?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

More trivia - can you name the songwriters of these two songs without looking it up?

Act Naturally (Beatles song sung by Ringo)
    Everybody's Talkin' (theme song from Midnight Cowboy)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: More trivia - can you name the songwriters of these two songs without looking it up?

OH NO, not you too, Hfx!   You're pretty good at the guessing! 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harry Nilsson for Everybody's Talking?  (not sure I spelled his name correctly, but you know who I mean)  and I did not look it up. 

EDIT: That's my answer for that one song for sure, and am not sure of the other song -- so need a team mate for that one -- unless HN wrote both songs.  

Have a great day. 
    Cool

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

Re: More trivia - can you name the songwriters of these two songs without looking it up?

In Response to Re: More trivia - can you name the songwriters of these two songs without looking it up?:
    [QUOTE]OH NO, not you too, Hfx!   You're pretty good at the guessing!  --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Harry Nilsson for Everybody's Talking?  (not sure I spelled his name correctly, but you know who I mean)  and I did not look it up.  I need a team mate to complete the quiz. Have a great day. 
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

i was going to post that, but i think it's too obvious...i feel like i remember hearing that he didnt write that song but i can't for the life of me remember who did...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I remember Stephen Stills once did 'Everybody's Talkin' on a live LP and said it was a Freddie Neal song. Not sure if he meant he wrote it or was the first to record it.

Now that I've made my guess , I'm off to Google.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

wasn't act naturally a buck owens song ?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

You guys are good.  The reason I used these two particular songs is that I found out who wrote them in the last couple of years and in both cases it was a surprise.

Zilla is correct that the writer of 'Everybody's Talkin'' was a fellow named Fred Neil.  I had always assumed it was Nilsson who wrote it because he was sort of known as a talented songwriter.  (Oddly enough Nilsson's other hit 'Without You' was also a cover song, originally written and performed by Badfinger.)  Fred Neil also wrote a song called 'Dolphins' that was recorded by Tim Buckley.  Neil recorded several solo albums before vanishing into obscurity.

As for 'Act Naturally', I was out for a refreshment with a few friends who are very knowledgable about music and for some reason we got into a debate about who wrote this song.  The debate was between Carl Perkins and Buck Owens.  When we went home we all looked it up.  Turns out it was Buck Owens who recorded it but, although Owens wrote a lot of his own stuff, this one was penned by a guy named Johnny Russell (the lyrics anyway).  Russell recorded some country albums of his own way back in the day. 

Here's the kicker for you, Zilla, and I found this out after starting the thread when I looked up their biographies.  Both Neil and Russell died in 2001.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Fred Neil also wrote songs for the airplane including "The Other Side of This Life" which was a staple of their live shows  and if memory serves me well wrote some song/ songs for richie havens

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Whoopee!!!

Half a point for me!

I am probably still in last place, but I feel as if I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: More trivia - can you name the songwriters of these two songs without looking it up?:
    [QUOTE]Fred Neil also wrote songs for the airplane including "The Other Side of This Life" which was a staple of their live shows  and if memory serves me well wrote some song/ songs for richie havens
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

Right...the Airplane connection.  And the Airplane had 2 songs with 'Pooneil' in the title, which based on my 5 minutes of Internet research did indeed refer to Fred Neil.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Fred Neil also wrote songs for the airplane including "The Other Side of This Life" which was a staple of their live shows  and if memory serves me well wrote some song/ songs for richie havens
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]You're a savant (and I don't mean an idiot).  Seriously.

As for me, to quote Alex Doonesbury: "Shame spiral.  Be right back."
    Laughing

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More trivia - can you name the songwriters of these two songs without looking it up? : You're a savant (and I don't mean an idiot).  Seriously. As for me, to quote Alex Doonesbury: "Shame spiral.  Be right back."
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Wow, I've heard the word idiot to describe him, but never savant..........

12. This post has been removed.