Most disappointing album purchase

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Most disappointing album purchase

Is there a particularly disappointing album purchase that stands out in your mind?  One that I'll always remember was the fourth album put out by Santana called Caravanserai.  I absolutely loved their Abraxas album and their third album, though not as strong as Abraxas, was somewhat of a continuation of it with a lot of good material.  So when their fourth album came out I was stoked and went out to buy it immediately.  It had a really cool cover so I was expecting a lot by the time I plugged it in the tape deck.  But instead of those grooving tunes I was hoping for I was shocked to hear song after song of this Mahavisnhu Orchestra free-form Jazz Odyssey stuff, with nary a vocal to be heard.  I was seriously bummed out.  Looking back that album seems to have drawn some favorable reviews and if I went back and listened again maybe I'd like it.  But at that time it was just not what I was expecting or wanting to hear.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Most disappointing album purchase

Capt. Fantastic - Elton John
    Love Beach - ELP

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Given the nearly universal appeal of Frampton Comes Alive, I think you could make a case that I'm in You might be the most disappointing album in the long and storied history of disappointing albums.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Mine was also Santana, but for different a reason..."Beyond Appearances"
    I'd tell you to look it up, but don't waste your time.

And I often like more avant-garde and experimental music (both in the literal and figurative sense), so I can be challenged a little more to break from my tastes.  But as hard as I tried, I just couldn't enjoy "Surrender To The Air" - considering the array of individual talents involved, it should have been a slam-dunk, but instead it seems like demo work, not really worthy of a full release.  I still have it, but it's merely a curiosity at this point (or used to annoy certain pesky neighbors).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kathy100. Show kathy100's posts

In Response to Re: Most disappointing album purchase:

Capt. Fantastic - Elton John Love Beach - ELP
    Posted by jesseyeric

Love Beach made me sad.  It def was not up-to-par with previous ELP releases.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

This is going to sound really bizarre for a die-hard Springsteen fan, but ...
    "Born in the USA."
    It was my third year of college, and there had been such a build-up for this album. Rushed right out to the record store (remember them?) and bought it as soon as it came out. Rushed home and put it on the turntable (remember them?) ... and was thoroughly disappointed.
    Some good tracks on it, like "Downbound Train" and "No Surrender," but I can't remember the last time I played it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

This might sound bizarre too but 2 of the albums that were initially big disappointments to me were The White Album and Physical Graffiti.  My expectations were so high that there was almost no way they could live up to them.  Even now I'm not a huge fan of The White Album and I still don't have it on CD.  There's a lot of good stuff on it, especially 'Side One'  but there's a lot of messy and somewhat depressing stuff too, I find.  Graffiti took a while to grow on me, but it did, though I still don't care much for 'Kashmir'. 

'Love Beach'...yeah, that baby went straight to the delete bin, didn't it.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

This is going to sound really bizarre for a die-hard Springsteen fan, but ... "Born in the USA." It was my third year of college, and there had been such a build-up for this album. Rushed right out to the record store (remember them?) and bought it as soon as it came out. Rushed home and put it on the turntable (remember them?) ... and was thoroughly disappointed. Some good tracks on it, like "Downbound Train" and "No Surrender," but I can't remember the last time I played it.
    Posted by LloydDobler

This album turned me off Springsteen for a long, long time, but I don't think it was entirely Bruce's fault. It was clearly made, start to finish, for commercial airplay and while that, in itself, is not necessarily a bad thing, FM radio killed it pretty quickly for me. I think part of the reason Born in the USA was such a polarizing album is because diehard Springsteen fan didn't really want to share Bruce with the rest of the world. The people who were digging Dancing in the Dark (ughhhhh) and Glory Days (bleaaaah) wouldn't know Lost in the Flood or Kitty's Back if they were hit over the head with them (or so the thinking went). There are songs on the album that are not terrible -- Downbound Train holds up well, and is probably the only song on the album that would have been at home on either of the previous two. Darlington County and I'm Going Down were catchy, but lacked the depth necessary to survive FM radio saturation the way No Surrender and Bobby Jean (to a lesser extent) did. Ultimately, I think it was an album that the old school fan couldn't keep to himself, so he discarded it (well, I did anyway) and for the fans who equated Springsteen with Thunder Road and Born to Run it was probably as manna from heaven . . .    you know, until the next Journey LP came out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I would say the soundtrack album "Falling from Grace". It was advertised as being a John Mellencamp LP, maybe I didn't read the fine print, but it only contained two songs by John and neither one is very good.

Love Beach is no favorite of mine, although I do still own it as it is ELP, and a few tracks are not that bad, but yes, it is very sub-par for these guys. I had the Frampton "I'm in You" on tape , from a radio broadcast, played it a few times and erased it, never bought it. The "Caravanserai" LP by Santana is definately a change in direction , but musically it is not a bad LP, just may not be for everyone as Carlos was exploring new Jazz type influences. The "Love, Devotion, Surrender" with the Mahavishnu Orchestra was one I was kind of disappointed with , I never went back and gave it another chance, but I hated it when I was about 16 years old and not really into the religious overtones or undertones, or whatever, that George Harrison and Santana were heavily into back then.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Most disappointing album purchase : This album turned me off Springsteen for a long, long time, but I don't think it was entirely Bruce's fault. It was clearly made, start to finish, for commercial airplay and while that, in itself, is not necessarily a bad thing, FM radio killed it pretty quickly for me. I think part of the reason Born in the USA was such a polarizing album is because diehard Springsteen fan didn't really want to share Bruce with the rest of the world. The people who were digging Dancing in the Dark (ughhhhh) and Glory Days (bleaaaah) wouldn't know Lost in the Flood or Kitty's Back if they were hit over the head with them (or so the thinking went). There are songs on the album that are not terrible -- Downbound Train holds up well, and is probably the only song on the album that would have been at home on either of the previous two. Darlington County and I'm Going Down were catchy, but lacked the depth necessary to survive FM radio saturation the way No Surrender and Bobby Jean (to a lesser extent) did. Ultimately, I think it was an album that the old school fan couldn't keep to himself, so he discarded it (well, I did anyway) and for the fans who equated Springsteen with Thunder Road and Born to Run it was probably as manna from heaven . . .    you know, until the next Journey LP came out.
    Posted by p-mike

Wow, amen. You completely summed up my thoughts. "Dancing in the Dark" is by far my least-favorite song of his. His next album was "Tunnel of Love," which I like FAR better.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolhandgannon. Show coolhandgannon's posts

I've never understood the hatred for Born in the USA. Yeah, the keys sound incredible dated, and some of the songs haven't stood up as well as Nebraska's, but Downbound Train and Bobby Jean are great songs. So are No Surrender and Darlington County.

I'm on Fire? That song is beyond great. It's perfect. OK, maybe the synth sounds could be better, although they kind of work on this one.

What was it with rockers in the 80s and horrible synth sounds? Did people actually hear David Bowie's Berlin era, Kraftwerk, Tubeway Army, etc., and then decide to go with the Huey Lewis fake instrument sound ON PURPOSE???!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

This might sound bizarre too but 2 of the albums that were initially big disappointments to me were The White Album and Physical Graffiti.  My expectations were so high that there was almost no way they could live up to them.  Even now I'm not a huge fan of The White Album and I still don't have it on CD.  There's a lot of good stuff on it, especially 'Side One'  but there's a lot of messy and somewhat depressing stuff too, I find.  Graffiti took a while to grow on me, but it did, though I still don't care much for 'Kashmir'.  'Love Beach'...yeah, that baby went straight to the delete bin, didn't it.  
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

While it is true that if both the White Albums and Physical Graffiti were each compressed into one album apiece, we may be talking of two of the greatest albums of all-time, I am not sure as double albums they are a disappointment.

The White Album contains one of the most beautiful songs ever - Dear Prudence. And P.G. happens to have a song on it called Kashmir.

Need I say more?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I've never understood the hatred for Born in the USA. Yeah, the keys sound incredible dated, and some of the songs haven't stood up as well as Nebraska's, but Downbound Train and Bobby Jean are great songs. So are No Surrender and Darlington County. I'm on Fire? That song is beyond great. It's perfect. OK, maybe the synth sounds could be better, although they kind of work on this one. What was it with rockers in the 80s and horrible synth sounds? Did people actually hear David Bowie's Berlin era, Kraftwerk, Tubeway Army, etc., and then decide to go with the Huey Lewis fake instrument sound ON PURPOSE???!!!
    Posted by coolhandgannon

There are some great songs on "Born in the USA." I'm not saying I hate the album. I just don't like it nearly as much as I like "Born to Run" or "The River" or "Darkness on the Edge of Town" or "The Rising." Mainly because two of my least-favorite Springsteen songs ever are "Dancing in the Dark" and "Glory Days."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Most disappointing album purchase : While it is true that if both the White Albums and Physical Graffiti were each compressed into one album apiece, we may be talking of two of the greatest albums of all-time, I am not sure as double albums they are a disappointment. The White Album contains one of the most beautiful songs ever - Dear Prudence . And P.G. happens to have a song on it called Kashmir . Need I say more?
    Posted by jesseyeric

"Dear Prudence" is a fantastic song. Along with "Cry Baby Cry" and "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," it's my favorite on the White Album. And Kashmir definitely makes Physical Graffiti worth listening to.
    (Classic moment in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High is when Damone tells Ratner to play Side Two of Led Zeppelin IV on his date. The next scene, he's playing Kashmir).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

You'll have to mark me down as a dissenter on 'Kashmir'.  It was different, I give it credit for that.  But I find it to be overlong and monotonous.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Mad About the Wrong Boy - The Attractions 

There was a good reason Elvis Costello was the front man. Great band behind him, but nothing to say on their own.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Mad About the Wrong Boy - The Attractions  There was a good reason Elvis Costello was the front man. Great band behind him, but nothing to say on their own.
    Posted by devildavid

On the other hand, Graham Parker's original backing band 'the Rumour' released , I think, 3 LP's and they are pretty darn good. Their first album 'Max' was so named because Fleetwood Mac named their most popular album of all time"Rumours"....get it?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Adrenalize by Def Leppard was extremely disappointing. It was the first album after Steve Clark's death.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

The latest GNR.  10 year wait for absolute cr@p.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

The latest GNR.  10 year wait for absolute cr@p.
    Posted by Tcal2

That was pretty bad.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I'd say Led Zeppelin's Presence.

When I was getting into Zeppelin in the 1980s, I was buying the albums in order of their release. It was great 1 through 4 then Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffiti (Kashmir is great but Trampled Underfoot is my favorite). Then I got to Presence and it wasn't that great. Achilles Last Stand was OK but even that song wasn't as good as the other anthems that anchored other albums.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

My most disappionting album buy was Peter Frampton's "I'm in you".It was about a year after "Frampton comes alive" and this was his first release since that time.I bought it before I heard it and couldn't have hated it more from the first second the needle landed on it.I traded it within a week after I bought it.Up to that point I had really liked Frampton,especially when he was with Humble Pie.I'm in you just kind of ruined Frampton for me. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Best. Question. Ever.  Gotta think about this one.  

*Excluding albums you've bought at gigs when off your t*ts, of course*  ;-)

Sections
Shortcuts