Most disappointing album purchase

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re: Most disappointing album purchase

I want to respond sensibly to this beautiful, challenging, interesting, painful, brutal question....but it's so difficult.  Right now, after just a few minute's thought it's a draw between the Clash's "Combat Rock" and "Cut The Crap".

The former is not rubbish, it's ok IMO....there are some high points ("Straight To Hell" esp.) but it was such a HUGE letdown from my, possibly unfair, expectations.  [and St. Joe Strummer's Mohawk for the American market?  Oof...the only thing he ever did that upset me]

The latter?  Total rubbish.  They'd all given up at that point and it's totally obvious.  So it's Combat Rock that has most disappointed me.  But I'll keep working on the question.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

I want to respond to this beautiful, challenging, interesting, painful...brutal question....but right now, after just a few minute's thought it's a draw between the Clash's "Combat Rock" and "Cut The Crap".

The former is not rubbish, it's ok IMO....there are some high points ("Straight To Hell" esp.) but it was such a HUGE letdown from my, possibly unfair, expectations.  [and St. Joe Strummer's Mohawk for the American market?  Oof...the only thing he ever did that upset me]

The latter?  Total rubbish.  They'd all given up at that point and it's totally obvious.  So it's Combat Rock that has most disappointed me.  But I'll keep working on the question.

This comment is more about album misfires and career suicide (see other thread) than a "bad purchase".   

Funny, but this thread totally coincides with album misfires -- NOTE: this thread is THREE years old, friends.    Surfaced at an odd time ....

I read just today, in fact, that "Cut the Crap" is considered one of the worst misfires of a band that most people thought could do no wrong:

"The much needed melody/abrasive tension of Mick Jones and Joe Strummer was decimated when Strummer fired Jones. Mere months after Cut the Crap was released, the Clash disbanded."

Album suicide is a bit more serious than a bad purchase.  Laughing

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I love music above all other things by FAR (people are not things!).  Sometimes I will buy records in shops based solely on their name, or artwork (note to bands or budding bands, I'm not alone in that....sleeve art is crucial), or impulse.

Big wins:

• I bought an album about 8-9 years ago by the Campus Tramps..."Stay Dumb" (http://www.discogs.com/Campus-Tramps-Stay-Dumb/release/2855317).  Not exactly my exact sweet spot musically, but it's fast, dumb-but-smart fun trash and I like it.  Coincidentally, Flyin' Brian from the band has become a mate and has some other bands I love including the Coyotemen....also with a mate delivered the Worst Performance Ever at our club.  I hate you, Beer, please leave my mates alone in the future!  :-)
    • The Friends of Dean Martinez - I didn't dig the artwork much of (http://www.subpop.com/releases/friends_of_dean_martinez/full_lengths/retrograde) but the band's name interested me, I might have been a bit squiffy at the time so didn't notice it was on Sub Pop, glad I didn't in a sense...but something about the band's name made me buy it.  "Officially" (joke) I don't like such stuff :-)....Western, instro, lounge-y sort of music....it's a brilliant LP, IMO, I loved / love it..... but not as much as my mate Dylan who has become their biggest fan and owns all of their (10) albums.

Similar buys based only on name/sleeve art I didn't like?  I honestly can't remember any right now, there are some I am sure....but the losers (always non-zero) are dwarfed by the winners.

Sections
Shortcuts