Most over rated musical artist or band??????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Most over rated musical artist or band??????

Chilliwings got me thinking with his post:

Hi Jessey. We obviously see different things in the band. I see an overblown, cringe-making cabaret. Overproduced, overwraught and overrated. As rock and roll as Billy Joel. Terrible frontman with his stupid costumes and "dramatic" stage behaviour. A lot of embarrassing lyrics. A duet with Monserrat Caballé. Even terrible videos, not that I care about videos. In summary, I don't even think of them as a rock and roll band, more of a resurrection of Liberace with a pedestrial backing band in bad haircuts.

If they were important, who/what have they influenced?

Greatest frontman to me is easily Iggy Pop, btw.                     

Who do you think is the most over rated "artist"/ "band" (?) in music?

My list is...........

Any boy band - N Sync, Boyz 2 Men, et al...
    Madonna
    Brittany Spears
    Bob Dylan (What is he singing?)
    Anyone using auto tune software.........

What say you????????????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: Most over rated musical artist or band??????

In Response to Most over rated musical artist or band??????:
    [QUOTE]Chilliwings got me thinking with his post: Hi Jessey. We obviously see different things in the band. I see an overblown, cringe-making cabaret. Overproduced, overwraught and overrated. As rock and roll as Billy Joel. Terrible frontman with his stupid costumes and "dramatic" stage behaviour. A lot of embarrassing lyrics. A duet with Monserrat Caballé . Even terrible videos, not that I care about videos. In summary, I don't even think of them as a rock and roll band, more of a resurrection of Liberace with a pedestrial backing band in bad haircuts. If they were important, who/what have they influenced? Greatest frontman to me is easily Iggy Pop, btw.                      ************************************** Who do you think is the most over rated "artist"/ "band" (?) in music? My list is........... Any boy band - N Sync, Boyz 2 Men, et al... Madonna Brittany Spears Bob Dylan (What is he singing?) Anyone using auto tune software......... What say you????????????
    Posted by RogerTaylor[/QUOTE]

I don't know if I'd put N Sync (boys bands in general) or Britney Spears on the list. I don't like any of them, but they are what they are -- pop acts. Pop is short for popular, so if they're popular, I can't say they're overrated. They're not considered to be groundbreaking songwriters, singers, etc.  They're simply corporate-produced, mindless entertainment acts. They've got to have a certain something to be popular -- stage presence, sex appear, perhaps good voices, scomething -- to gain that popularity. But in the end, as Dennis Green would say, they are who we thought they are. They've never been confused with real powerhouses.

Madonna -- I don't like her either, but her staying power means something. It's not like she flamed out after five or 10 years, so she's the definetly the one on the list who certainly isn't overrated along with Dylan.

Dylan's voice of course is horrible, but his songwriting made a huge impact on the '60s generation and you can't overlook that.

My overrated bands would be The Police or U2, but that's simply because they are or were huge acts that I never liked. But on the other hand, I can understand why others did.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I always find 'overrated' kind of a troublesome word.  Overrated by who-the mass media, the record-buyers, the serious critics?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In Response to Re: Most over rated musical artist or band??????:
    [QUOTE]I always find 'overrated' kind of a troublesome word.  Overrated by who-the mass media, the record-buyers, the serious critics?
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Your personal opinion - like chilliwings - You won't be graded - promise!

Opinions are like a....... - noses - everybody's got one!

Please share yours

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Roger, this topic came up a while ago.  I know that one time I said Eric Clapton was overrated and Zilla got mad about it.  And after he defended Clapton I sort of took back what I said, because I realized that what I really meant was that I didn't enjoy him as much as most people seemed to.  I just have a problem with this topic because it's a little ill-defined and I think it can lead to some pointless arguments.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Roger, this topic came up a while ago.  I know that one time I said Eric Clapton was overrated and Zilla got mad about it.  And after he defended Clapton I sort of took back what I said, because I realized that what I really meant was that I didn't enjoy him as much as most people seemed to.  I just have a problem with this topic because it's a little ill-defined and I think it can lead to some pointless arguments.

I agree with the bold statement. I think it comes down to taste -- at least that's my opinion. But the pointless argument point -- nothing wrong with making a case and having someone else debate the points. Could be interesting -- pointless, perhaps, but who cares.

In general, I supposed you could say a guitarist who gets high praise as being very good is overrated if you know a lot about playing the guitar and point out all the things he doesn't do well from a technical standpoint.

Or if a performer gets praise for changing the culture and you can make a strong case why the performer didn't really do it, then you could make the overrated case.

But in the end, if you're talking about a performer, I think it really does come down to taste.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Good comments roy, and you made me think of what might be a suitable example.  I think Eddie Van Halen is overrated as a guitarist.  Not because he isn't talented or because he doesn't have great command of the instrument.  Far from it, he has talent and technical ability in spades.  I just think he lacks feeling and inspiration and imagination in his playing, tending to fall back on the same tricks over and over.  And when I see him consistently rated among the best, I disagree with it because I think he should be docked points for the areas he falls short in.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Funny, because as soon as I saw the thread topic, my first reaction was Eric Clapton. He's done some outstanding stuff ("Layla," "White Room," "Badge," "Bellbottom Blues" but he's also done his share of truly wretched stuff ("Lay Down Sally," "Forever Man," "Cocaine," and "I Shot the Sheriff" I'd just as soon puncture my ear drum with an ice pick).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Funny, because as soon as I saw the thread topic, my first reaction was Eric Clapton. He's done some outstanding stuff ("Layla," "White Room," "Badge," "Bellbottom Blues" but he's also done his share of truly wretched stuff ("Lay Down Sally," "Forever Man," "Cocaine," and "I Shot the Sheriff" I'd just as soon puncture my ear drum with an ice pick).
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

You have a good point with Clapton. He went through a period in the 1970s where he tried to downplay his strength -- virtuoso guiatar playing. "Forever Man" is OK, but I agree with you on "Cocaine" and "I shot the Sheriff."

However, for artists with a lot of great stuff, I don't dock points when they might also have a lot of mediocre or lousy stuff. It's so hard to have truly great stuff that to me, that's all that matters. The longer an artist is around, the more likely he is to have a long list of middling stuff.

Paul McCartney fits into this category. For all the great stuff McCartney produced with The Beatles, Wings or solo, he also produced a lot of crp.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

wow. for me this could be a very long list. Off the top of my head Kiss comes to mind. Ditto on Clapton..I'd throw Metallica on the list. Aerosmith, ZZ Top, Nickelback, Creed.. and on and on. not much basis for my thoughts other than these are acts I dont very much like. I cant stand Madonna but I give her credit for the staying power and always seeming to be ahead of the curve in some ways. But to pick one overall overated would be hard..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Forgot to put Pearl Jam on my list......change the station or turn the radio off when I hear that voice(?).....uuuggghhhh

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

[QUOTE]Roger, this topic came up a while ago.  I know that one time I said Eric Clapton was overrated and Zilla got mad about it.  And after he defended Clapton I sort of took back what I said, because I realized that what I really meant was that I didn't enjoy him as much as most people seemed to.  I just have a problem with this topic because it's a little ill-defined and I think it can lead to some pointless arguments.

I thought pointless arguments were the lifeblood of the music forum (and all the other ones as well).  Which is not a knock on this forum -- it's part of the pleasure of it!  ;)

For overrated, Coldplay comes to mind.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The legend, Bob Dylan does not belong in this conversation any more than does Eric Clapton.

How can a guy who influenced songwriting in Rock 'n Roll as much as Dylan be 'over-rated?'

This is the guy who got the Beatles to stop writing songs about "holding your hand" and "twisting and shouting" and finally start using the English language in a new way. To add meaningful lyrics to what was once nonsense for kids to dance to.

Without Dylan you do not get 'A Day In The Life', 'Come Together', 'Piggies' and the entire catalogue of the Beatles from Rubber Soul forward. You do not get 'Imagine', 'Power To The People' , You don't get Springsteen, Petty, Seger, the Eagles, Warren Zevon, Jackson Browne, Neil Young, Stephen Stills, the Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Graham Parker, Ian Hunter, Joe Jackson, Elvis Costello, etc.

Just as Clapton influenced every guitar player that came later ( Hendrix, Page, Van Halen, etc. , etc., etc.) , Dylan influenced every rock group and songwriter in Rock that came along after him.

In many ways Dylan is the most important figure in Rock history...and surely I'll get arguments from those who don't understand or appreciatte his genius.

To me, the man is "under-rated."

I suppose I could throw stones at bands that I don't like and call them "over-rated." But surely if these bands made a career in Rock and I haven't it would sound foolish....so I am not going to do it.

Actually , in my opinion, everything labeled 'Disco', 'Rap' , or 'Boy Band' is grossly over-rated because it's not "artistic" in nature. Disco is made for people to move around and expend energy senselessly ( unless you like to dance, then it has a purpose...to me it's nonsense set to a dance beat). Rap is heavy bass accompanied by spoken words , more "social comment" than music. Boy Band is just using teen heartthrob type young males to market music to a target audience...young girls.

But I 'm not going to call this stuff "over-rated" because it does have appeal to a target audience, I just don't happen to be in that group....and Matty would probably be mad and tell me why I'm wrong, anyway.Laughing

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Nope...I'm not getting involved in this gordian knot...

...not unless our terms get better defined, as others have suggested.

I have a somewhat clinical view of these discussions viz. the nature of art and art criticism, so I'm staying out of it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

OH -- I was going to come in here and say "One thing I know is that based on last week's convo in the rant thread, Matty will not be in this thread"  -- too funny.   On the heels of that thread, in fact, the timing for this one is a bit off.  :P

Without any criteria or definition for what constitutes "over rated" we just can't come up with anything meaningful here.

What's also true is this: many bands come out of the gate garnering very high praise from critics and the listening audience alike, but as time passes, the "rating" for the band often changes.   

A case of long-term "career" over-ratedness, defined by criteria, if there is such a thing, is probably very, very rare.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]wow. for me this could be a very long list. Off the top of my head Kiss comes to mind. Ditto on Clapton..I'd throw Metallica on the list. Aerosmith, ZZ Top, Nickelback, Creed.. and on and on. not much basis for my thoughts other than these are acts I dont very much like. I cant stand Madonna but I give her credit for the staying power and always seeming to be ahead of the curve in some ways. But to pick one overall overated would be hard..
    Posted by leafswin27[/QUOTE]

BTW, and FWIW, most of the lists you see on the music-related sites that are littered with them, almost always include some of the ones you listed, LW:
    Metallica, Aerosmith, Nickelback
    The Doors and G'n'R and Green Day

So I suppose there is a lowest common denominator voice that would allow, in what we'd classify as rock or hard rock, the bands that people feel have been rated way too high over the course of their careers.  

I've seen Pink Floyd and Led Zepp, too.  You see them all.   

But man, I've never seen Clapton or Dylan on a over-rated list, and you know, I read a lot of lists.  I'm like the Patron Saint of Lists.   :P    

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]OH -- I was going to come in here and say "One thing I know is that based on last week's convo in the rant thread, Matty will not be in this thread"  -- too funny.   On the heels of that thread, in fact, the timing for this one is a bit off.  :P  
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Just loudly proclaiming my silence...

...which is not easy for someone so opinionated as myself.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Over ratedness is very subjective.I realize the groups and artists I consider over rated are still extremely talented musically,but just not my thing.Old Aerosmith is still great rock IMO,but anything after Draw the Line is just plain awful.Of course my list of over rated wouldn't be complete without Bruce Springsteen,Police,Phil Collins,Foreigner,U2 and Journey.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

[QUOTE]As others have said, you cannot put Dylan on an overrated list, considering the huge impact and influence he had.  Iggy Pop is great for what he is, and he also had a big influence in his own way -- but he's been doing the same writhing around the stage thing for 40 years now (I did say he's great at what he does and very entertaining, but it's a bit one trick poney-ish).  Given that, there's really no way you could consider him the best frontman in history.
    Posted by bellhorn_[/QUOTE]

Not only can I put Dylan on my list......I did! 

Inaudible lyrics negates any music (?) he has to offer......

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Boom.. someone mentioned Journey.. You can put them to the top of my list.. But then again my overated list is very similar to bands/artists I cant stand.. Journey would be in the top ten of both of those lists for me.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

If you Google this question, you get quiet a listing of bands depending on the site, although a lot of the same names do appear from site to site. As mentioned art is a subjective thing, and one persons over rated is another's favorite band.

But the question is "Most" over rated...And to me, Aerosmith stands out the most when I think of that question, again IMO.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I think ANY artist or band has the potential to be over-rated or under-rated at any given time.

(Yup...I said "ANY artist and band"...even your binkys.)

But I'll make a friendly wager and say that the answers to this question vary more than most depending upon age of the respondent and/or exposure to said artist or band...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

I still hate Dylan!  Yell

Sections
Shortcuts