Most Over-rated Rock Acts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Most Over-rated Rock Acts

I'd have to say Bruce Springsteen is the most over-rated.  Carlos Santana is up there as well.

Maybe I saw both acts way past their prime.  Springsteen give's it 100% but most of the band does nothing.  His concerts seem to be about doing his schitck than the music.

Santana - There were moments of potential brilliance whan I saw him, but he seems to be mailing it in as well.  If he put half as much effort into playing his guitar as he does making faces while playing his guitar, he would be brilliant.  If I had seen him in the late 60s early 70s, I might have a different opinion of him.

Eric Clapton can be hit or miss.  I saw one concert that was simply amazing.  Another show that wasn't so great.

KISS seems to be another act that is over-rated.  Didn't understand why they were popular in the late 70s.  Their current popularity is even more of a mystery.  Can anyone see Curt Colbain appearing in commercials to sell a second rate soft drink or a reality show?  Are they even consider rock and roll or would they be closer to schlock and roll?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Re: Most Over-rated Rock Acts

Metallica. Some of their songs are some of my favorites, but a lot of their stuff seems like a huge miss to me.

As for Springsteen, I used to think that way too, but I am warming up a little to him, based on some of the songs people have recommended from him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Couldn't agree less on Springsteen, but we all have our likes and dislikes.

As for Clapton, he could never be overrated as a guitarist, but he's done some truly horrible songs. I've nearly wrecked my car reaching for the radio dial when "Cocaine" and "Lay Down Sally" comes on.

But for me, the most overrated band has always been the Grateful Dead. I like a lot of their stuff, and "American Beauty" is a very nice album, but I've never understood the massive appeal and the Dead Heads.

Oh, and John Mellencamp. What's up with that?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I like this thread.

I am in agreement with those here who think that Bruce is over-rated. Although I begrudgingly accept his importance to many, I never could understand why.

The Grateful Dead are another band that I could never understand their popularity. Like Bruce, their shows were far greater than the music. But for some reason, I have a great respect for their fans.

Now I would never call them over-rated, but to my ears, Nirvana was the worst of the 4 main bands that are attached to Grunge. I believe that Soundgarden, Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains were far better. As for Cobain, maybe he should have sold some soda, maybe then he wouldn't have taken himself so seriously and offed himself. The man was pathetic.

Bon Jovi is clearly the most over-rated act of the last 25 years.

But for my money, the biggest rip-off of them all is the Punk Poet "Patti Smith". I saw her back in the day and she was a joke. A stoned knucklehead with no voice and no words. Why she is held in such high esteem by music critics and publications is still a complete mystery.

As for KISS, they cannot be considered over-rated because no one ever really thought their music was anything special. What they did was record basic anthems and then gave teenagers their monies worth at their concerts. And really, what else could a 16 year old boy want. Big Hair, Big Shoes, Big Shows - a perfect fantacy outlet for a kid.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

The dead no doubt, 25 minutes jamming on trucking yeah amazing.
    Bon Jovi and Madonna have hair, not much talent.

Oh and Jutrho Tull(sp)  I hate them with a white hot flame.

Bruce is great.

IF I started a list of most underrated  I would start with Warren Zevon.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Most Over-rated Rock Acts:
    But for my money, the biggest rip-off of them all is the Punk Poet "Patti Smith". I saw her back in the day and she was a joke. A stoned knucklehead with no voice and no words. Why she is held in such high esteem by music critics and publications is still a complete mystery.
    Posted by jesseyeric

I haven't heard that much of her stuff really, but I have a soft spot for her because of her connections with BOC.  She wrote really good lyrics for a few of their songs, including 'Shooting Shark', and she was the girlfriend of bandmember Allen Lanier for awhile.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

One of my favorite jokes...

Two Deadheads went to the show to see their favorite band for the 200th time that year. When they get there, one looks to the other and says, "Did you bring the dope?" The other says, "No, I thought you brought it." Reality sets in that both forgot the dope.

Thirty minutes into the show, one looks a the other and says, "Man, these guys really succk."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

I would have to agree with Bruce and Mellencamp. I react to them like Lloyd does when Clapton comes on. I can see the appeal with Bruce and many others listed here, and while I do like the Dead and have seen many shows, I would agree that they are also overrated, but for the Dead it was all about the live shows. I never really got into their music until I saw them live, which was now 30 years ago (f*ck I'm old).

I've felt that Clapton is overrated as a guitarist but not as a songwriter. And Nirvana IMHO got more credit then deserved...as jessey said, other bands like AIC and Soundgarden were far better. Also agree with Bon Jovi and KISS, but again I can understand the appeal. I would have to add Green Day and while I do like Coldplay quite a bit, I'm not sure they live up to the hype that seems to surround them. Maybe if I saw them live (or Green Day, or Bruce, for that matter) I would think differently. And then there are all the grunge-pop bands like Nickelback (aaack) and Creed. Really, I wish they would just go away. Finally, I would add Dave Mathews, and while I do like a lot of their stuff, U2. Flame On.

Tull and Santana are both great. Sure, I'm sick of Santana's "Smooth", but I'll blame that on Rob Thomas. I'm actually looking forward to the new Santana record to see what he does covering classic rock tunes. It's all subjective anyway...good topic for a thread.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from schadenfreude99. Show schadenfreude99's posts

Wow..lots of Dead haters out there.  Like em or not, I think most people respected their musical talents.  Each member was a master at their respective instrument (you could argue Bobby wasn't, but not the others).  I feel fortunate to have seen them about 15 times.  A few nights they mailed it in, but the other nights I loved. 

As for the thread topic, put me down for anything grunge:  Nirvana, Soundgarden, STP.  I can't change the channel fast enough when these noise bands come on. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Nirvana (generally and Kurt Cobain specifically), U2 (post-"Achtung Baby"), Nickelback (terrible!), Bon Jovi (least deserving re-boot ever) and Aerosmith (since 1979) top my list.  Certain recent country, emo and pop metal bands also go without saying...there's just no way Bret Michaels deserves his level of fame.

Add to that the usual redundant pop acts like Beyonce, Timberlake, Rihanna, etc.  I also don't think Jay-Z and Kanye West are all that - serviceable rappers at best; Mary J. Blige and Eminem are both better on their worst days.  Tupac also gets way more notoriety than he really deserved.

I felt the same way about Springsteen, but not having seen him live, his talent as a songwriter and his prolific career are impressive, but the music itself - meh - same as why I listen to Dylan for his words, not his voice.

Here's my take on The Grateful Dead, whom I saw about a dozen times and a few more in different iterations since Jerry (a truly singular artist) died.  I think The Dead are overrated among Deadheads, but not among the general public.  If taken simply as another classic rock group, their legacy is sound.  If The Band had stayed together, they might have enjoyed the same type of cultish appeal and fandom - both had similar roots and styles.

But no single band has stretched the limits of live improvisation quite like they did.  What made them great live were those select instances when they were jamming together as one and really made some beautiful, timeless music.  The same goes for bands like The Allmans, Phish, Widespread Panic, Blues Traveler (even DMB) - their ability to create live music that transcends the stage, if just for a short while, is what makes them above-average performers.

Carlos Santana, to me, is one of the greatest living guitarists, especially among American players.  Very few can combine blues, jazz, latin and rock like he does, and so effortlessly.  Contrast "Europa" to "Soul Sacrifice" - just astonishing range.

Last, but not least, I give you the man, the myth, the tequila-shilling, country-fried beach bum himself: Jimmy Buffett.  He is to popular music what Shoney's is to american cuisine. (Sorry, Dad.)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I think Van Halen is somewhat over-rated.  A good band but not a great one.  Something missing in the song-writing, and something missing in Eddie's guitar solos.  I mean, if you had to pick an original Van Halen song and say, this is their masterpiece, this is the one that belongs in the annals of rock classics, what would it be?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

I think Van Halen is somewhat over-rated.  A good band but not a great one.  Something missing in the song-writing, and something missing in Eddie's guitar solos.  I mean, if you had to pick an original Van Halen song and say, this is their masterpiece, this is the one that belongs in the annals of rock classics, what would it be?
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

"Running With The Devil", maybe.  Although I'm partial to both "House Of Pain" and "Mean Streets", myself.

A guitarist friend of mine once said that Eddie had a lot of technical ability, but very little soul in his playing, whereas his idol, Clapton, had soul to spare (in buckets).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

The problem with threads like this is that they turn into "your most-hated bands."

One poster said he hated Jethro Tull. Fine. Tull is one of my favorite groups, but I can see where others might not like them. But they're not really overrated. For what they did and for what was expected, they were what they were.

Same with Bon Jovi. They play some good hard rock. Either you like it or you don't but they weren't exactly ever described as industry shakers.

I hate U2, but I wouldn't call them overrated because I can see their impact and popularity with others.

To me, overrated is a narrow term. It would describe a performer or group that has a reputation for being "game-changers" so to speak -- either in culture or how they changed the industry, something like that. Or it would be a group that because of one album or hit, you would think they had a long list of great albums or songs but they don't. You could add musicianship to the mix too -- someone with a reputation of being one of the greats on his (or her) instruments but really isn't. Again, take personal tastes out of the mix and really analyze technical ability, which might be hard for the average fan. 

If you narrow the definition like I tried to and take personal dislikes out of the mix, I I think you'd get a smaller list of overrated acts. 

From the way I defined it -- and I'm not saying anyone has to follow my definitions -- I'd have to really think about it as to who really is overrated and not simply someone I don't like.

Someone like Peter Frampton might fit the bill. I like Frampton -- even a lot of his lesser-known stuff. Frampton Comes Alive was huge but he really never came close to anything like that again. But because of that album, he sometimes considered one of the greats from the '70s.

Even if you don't like my definition of overrated, I think you have to define it as something other than "I don't like them."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

The Grateful Dead over-rated!!!! No way.  They had their ups and downs, but over-rated? No way.

The Dead were a concert band.  Their studio recordings don't come close to doing them justice.  Some of the live recordings come close, but nothing compares to being at one of their shows in person.

Having said that, I've been to some truly horrible dead shows but I've also been to some truly incredible shows.  And then there were the "moments" that stand out.

Best performance I have ever seen was when the Dead were backing up Dylan at the old Foxboro Stadium.  They finished the second set with "Along the Watch Tower".  That has to be the greatest performance of a song I have ever personally witnessed.

Dylan had just finished the last verse and the band started jamming out.  Garcia takes a step forward, has his head down, and he's rocking back and fourth.  I remember thinking that it was really starting to get good, and suddenly the crowd just burst out into applause without any prompting from anyone on stage.  The intensity of the music increased as the energy from the crowd increased and it just kept going.

Truly amazing.

of course, the encore was a truly awlful version of "Knockin of Heaven's Door".  So go figure.

Pick up a copy of the Soundtrack to the Grateful Dead Movie.  The "I know you Rider" into "China Cat Sunflower" is smokin.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In keeping with what royf19 said (and you said it very well, as I agree it's easy to blur the line between an act you don't like vs. the idea they have reached major success and have had critical acclaim they have not deserved) ---  I present to you: JANIS JOPLIN as totally over rated.  

Maybe I was not in the right age group and I did not listen to her music until after the fact, but I did listen to her (or tried)  because she was always reviewed like rock royalty.   I could NEVER understand this, except that it was possibly due to the sixties being the sixties, if you know what I mean. 

I found a review of Janis Joplin that I am pasting below, b/c it validates my feelings and b/c it is very well stated.  

If anyone feels otherwise about her, please feel free to disagree, but since this thread came up, I figured I might as well put Janis in the pile of over rated rock stars!
    Please feel free to comment. 
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

What exactly did Janis Joplin ever do? How exactly did she come to be hailed as the pinnacle of sixties music? It's incomprehensible. Joplin did her best work with Big Brother and the Holding Company and then went solo, covered a good Kris Kristofferson song, sang a poem a capella, drank more whiskey than a high school football team in Alabama and died. That's it. She never did anything more than that. Other than running around half-naked in San Francisco with a bottle of Jack Daniels in her hand and screaming about this that and the other thing, her whole career fits into one sentence. Yet somehow, she's held in similar regard to Jimi Hendrix, CSNY, and other legendary acts of the sixties. It's unreal. Her career was a blip at best. Joplin would be inconsequential if it weren't for her becoming so massively overrated over time. Most cases of overratedness can be explained, but aside from her dying young, this is a complete mystery. Making her the most overrated solo artist of all time.
    End of review.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I saw Springsteen in concert.  Granted, it was recent so he was far from his prime.  Sorry - don't get it.  Half the band did nothing except for during the last song.  The drummer, Niels Lofgren (I think) worked pretty hard, but the rest of the band could have had their instruments unplugged for all they did.

Springsteen tries real hard - there's no denying the effort.  But it felt forced.  It didn't feel honest.

I want the band to make me feel something and I got nothing from the E Street Band. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In keeping with what royf19 said (and you said it very well, as I agree it's easy to blur the line between an act you don't like vs. the idea they have reached major success and have had critical acclaim they have not deserved) ---  I present to you: JANIS JOPLIN as totally over rated.   Maybe I was not in the right age group and I did not listen to her music until after the fact, but I did listen to her (or tried)  because she was always reviewed like rock royalty.   I could NEVER understand this, except that it was possibly due to the sixties being the sixties, if you know what I mean.  I found a review of Janis Joplin that I am pasting below, b/c it validates my feelings and b/c it is very well stated.   If anyone feels otherwise about her, please feel free to disagree, but since this thread came up, I figured I might as well put Janis in the pile of over rated rock stars! Please feel free to comment.  ------------------------------------------------------------------------ What exactly did Janis Joplin ever do? How exactly did she come to be hailed as the pinnacle of sixties music? It's incomprehensible. Joplin did her best work with Big Brother and the Holding Company and then went solo, covered a good Kris Kristofferson song, sang a poem a capella, drank more whiskey than a high school football team in Alabama and died. That's it. She never did anything more than that. Other than running around half-naked in San Francisco with a bottle of Jack Daniels in her hand and screaming about this that and the other thing, her whole career fits into one sentence. Yet somehow, she's held in similar regard to Jimi Hendrix , CSNY , and other legendary acts of the sixties. It's unreal. Her career was a blip at best. Joplin would be inconsequential if it weren't for her becoming so massively overrated over time. Most cases of overratedness can be explained, but aside from her dying young, this is a complete mystery. Making her the most overrated solo artist of all time. End of review.
    Posted by yogafriend

I agree with you about Joplin.

I think there are a bunch of acts that you can put on the list from the 1960s that because they played at Monterray in '67 or Woodstock in '69 are seen larger than life. Those two music festivals gave performers a certain cache, but with some (Country Joe and the Fish perhaps), if they didn't play at either festival, they'd be much smaller blips on the musical landscape.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

To clarify a couple of things ... when I said the Dead was overrated, I did not mean they stink. They've done some good stuff. I just don't think they're quite worthy of all the adoration they receive, but that's me.

Couldn't agree more on Janis Joplin. She was interesting and talented, but she also became a legend because of her premature death.

As for Clapton, I like a lot of his stuff (Derek and the Dominos, Cream, Blind Faith) but most of his solo stuff I don't.

By the way, the thing I love most about the music forum is we can discuss these things and even disagree (Springsteen overrated?!?) without getting into arguments and calling each other names. Very much unlike the Sox board.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

I'll add one more:  Sting

I still think his best work was with The Police in which he was mated with two outstanding musicians in Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland and brought something fresh to the party by way of jazz, reggae, and punk that presaged some of the better new wave acts.

When he went solo, he still employed some great musicians (Daryl Jones, Branford Marsalis, et al.), but that success was a virtue more of his backing band than of himself.  He produced serviceable music and albums (Soul Cages) but nothing I would call spectacular or groundbreaking.  Add to that his many pretensions and general snobbery, and I would argue that he has been coasting on past achievements for quite some time.

Again, I don't hate Sting.  I agree he is a literate songwriter with some gifts as an arranger and a good ear for potential musical collaborators.  I own a few of his solo albums and admire certain songs (All This Time, We'll Be Together, It's Probably Me [w/Clapton]...).  But there's something about his solo career that I find a bit shallow and altogether a bit full of itself.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I think in one of Tom Petty's early songs he sings "anything that's Rock'n Roll's fine with me"

My girlfriend , she is at a loss to understand what the big deal is about Jimi Hendrix. She also is no fan of the Rolling Stones , but loves Rod Stewart and Air Supply...also she likes Clapton and Dylan, so there was always some potential there. But , overall , she doesn't "get it."

Here's what a lot of people who claim this or that artist is "over-rated" don't seem to get. Rock'n Roll is like a stew ( see the song by Traffic) , some of the ingredients you like , some you don't. And the ones you like , I might not like (think Cheap Trick, jessey). When you mix the whole thing up it is a good thing but there will always be the portion you can pick out and discard ( for me it's lima beans...yechhh!).

While I might refer to a group as "over-rated" , what , I guess ,I really mean is that I don't think they are as good as the over-all hype...not that they aren't "good" period.

Rock'n Roll is not Opera. Many people think along the same terms with these two styles. Opera is all about beauty and voice. A Rock'n Roll singer often is better with an imperfect voice. I would say because Rock comes primarily from Folk and Blues , music of poor, lower class people and Opera is more the music of the high class or rich people that is where the difference stems from.

Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Neil Young and Eric Clapton among others are not blessed with beautiful voices, but yet their success as Rock artists is not diminished a bit by this, instead , I feel the songs of these artists have more credibility because Rock itself stems from hard times, rebellion and just wanting to make music "the kids can dance to"

As Rock'n Roll is not about rules, you can't really apply rules.

Jethro Tull did a song called "Dharma for One" and in a particular live version Ian Anderson states "this is a song about "everything"...If you were to ask me, as an American male born in 1958...."what is Rock'n Roll about?"...I would say, "it's about everything...and it's about nothing all at the same time"...as Jagger said, "I know it's Only Rock'n Roll , but I like it!"

Now when you apply the term "over-rated" to Rap music, that I can agree is true. Or maybe I just don't "get it." Since I was a white kid brought up in a nice suburban, middle-class neighborhood in the 60's , It says nothing to me as it seems to be aimed at mostly urban kids who grew up in tough, crime filled areas...for that I am incredibly grateful to my parents and anyone else responsible that when it comes to Rap , "I don't get it."

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from uclid. Show uclid's posts

Roy posted that “overrated is a narrow term. It would describe a performer or group that has a reputation for being "game-changers" so to speak -- either in culture or how they changed the industry “

With that in mind  I have to say Bruce Springsteen is the most overrated,  mostly because (I think it was Rolling Stone magazine) that said as best I can remember “I have seen the future of rock and roll and its name is Bruce Springsteen” Strong statement that in my opinion never came about. I have seen Springsteen 3 times although he puts on a great show and had powerful albums early in his career, but in my opinion he never fulfilled that promise.

A close second would be Kiss.   

I agree whole heartedly with Lloyd with the comparison between this forum and the baseball forum. People do agree to disagree on this forum.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I agree whole heartedly with Lloyd with the comparison between this forum and the baseball forum. People do agree to disagree on this forum.  
    Posted by uclid

The sports forums are where we go to vent frustrations.

Music should never be about frustration when discussed by people who know what they like and don't like. If I say I don't like Sonny and Cher...you can't say , "oh yes you do" or "you should like them!" If you tell me the Beatles are over-rated or that you don't like them, there isn't much to say other than , well , you have a right to your opinion....but lots of people do not agree with this opinion.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Personally, I think my opinion regarding music and everything else should be held up as a shining beacon to the world and that I should be worshipped.

The cult of Jesseyeric

Tongue out

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Roy posted that “overrated is a narrow term. It would describe a performer or group that has a reputation for being "game-changers" so to speak -- either in culture or how they changed the industry “ With that in mind   I have to say Bruce Springsteen is the most overrated,   mostly because (I think it was Rolling Stone magazine) that said as best I can remember “I have seen the future of rock and roll and its name is Bruce Springsteen” Strong statement that in my opinion never came about. I have seen Springsteen 3 times although he puts on a great show and had powerful albums early in his career, but in my opinion he never fulfilled that promise. A close second would be Kiss.       I agree whole heartedly with Lloyd with the comparison between this forum and the baseball forum. People do agree to disagree on this forum.  
    Posted by uclid

I don't like groups that have to resort to gimmicks to get the crowd going unless it's completely original.  If the music and musicianship isn't enough to get the crowd going then the gimmicks aren't going to help.  Some may argue that acts like Michael Jackson or Madonna are nothing but gimmicks, but I would say that the Madonnas of the world are putting on theater.  It's more of a musical than a concert.  The same may be said of KISS, but even so, I would still consider them overrated.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Personally, I think my opinion regarding music and everything else should be held up as a shining beacon to the world and that I should be worshipped. The cult of Jesseyeric
    Posted by jesseyeric

Yeah, but you're aYankee fan so we've learned just to disregard your opinion.

Wink

Sections
Shortcuts