Most Over-rated Rock Acts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Most Over-rated Rock Acts

In Response to Re: Most Over-rated Rock Acts:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Most Over-rated Rock Acts : I don't like groups that have to resort to gimmicks to get the crowd going unless it's completely original.  If the music and musicianship isn't enough to get the crowd going then the gimmicks aren't going to help.  Some may argue that acts like Michael Jackson or Madonna are nothing but gimmicks, but I would say that the Madonnas of the world are putting on theater.  It's more of a musical than a concert.  The same may be said of KISS, but even so, I would still consider them overrated.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

There is a difference with Madonna. She is a complete product of MTV. Ask yourself, would she have been as big as she is without the advent of the video? Would her music been strong enough to carry on for such a long period with radio alone? I do not believe so. Even MJ with a strong musical history prior to Thriller probably would not of had such a strong career without MTV. Without Jon Bon Jovi's pretty boy looks which MTV exploited, I doubt Bon Jovi is in this discussion either. KISS was and always will be a live band. Even when they weren't a platinum sellling band, they were playing to packed houses.

Let's remember, back in the day prior to MTV, artists such as Madonna and MJ were not playing 20,000 seat arena's. KISS was.

How big would The Beatles been if MTV existed in the 60's? Oh wait - Hard Day's Night is probably the start of it all anyway.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

[QUOTE]The Grateful Dead over-rated!!!! No way.  They had their ups and downs, but over-rated? No way. The Dead were a concert band.  Their studio recordings don't come close to doing them justice.  Some of the live recordings come close, but nothing compares to being at one of their shows in person. Having said that, I've been to some truly horrible dead shows but I've also been to some truly incredible shows.  And then there were the "moments" that stand out. Best performance I have ever seen was when the Dead were backing up Dylan at the old Foxboro Stadium.  They finished the second set with "Along the Watch Tower".  That has to be the greatest performance of a song I have ever personally witnessed. Dylan had just finished the last verse and the band started jamming out.  Garcia takes a step forward, has his head down, and he's rocking back and fourth.  I remember thinking that it was really starting to get good, and suddenly the crowd just burst out into applause without any prompting from anyone on stage.  The intensity of the music increased as the energy from the crowd increased and it just kept going. Truly amazing. of course, the encore was a truly awlful version of "Knockin of Heaven's Door".  So go figure. Pick up a copy of the Soundtrack to the Grateful Dead Movie.  The "I know you Rider" into "China Cat Sunflower" is smokin.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

Ok I saw this show YOU actaully could understand what Bob was saying that day I could not.

The best Dylan show I have seen was with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers at Great Woods they were tight it was great, YOu could even understand what Bob was singing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Personally, I think my opinion regarding music and everything else should be held up as a shining beacon to the world and that I should be worshipped. The cult of Jesseyeric
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

So nice to have you back!   You were missed.  We had no one to worship while you were away! Laughing

Regarding Madonna ... I like what you said and it's right on target re: MTV.  But I also don't know if it's completely fair to try to imagine Madonna out of context, b/c that really is how she rose to fame and popularity.  And she has been hugely successful.   I'm not sure she's really over-rated because I never had the impression she was ranked all that high ... or is she?  ... rather immensely popular, and that's what has given her fame.  Did she ever really get credit that she didn't deserve regarding her raw talent?  I honestly am not sure.  Her fans range in age from little kids all the way up to grandmother types who latched onto her years ago.

Not a huge Madonna fan, but over the years, it would be impossible to have ignored all of her hits and the impression she made as a performer, if nothing else. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Too sweet Yoga!

Not a huge Madonna fan, but over the years, it would be impossible to have ignored all of her hits and the impression she made as a performer, if nothing else. (Yoga)

Agreed - one cannot diminsh her influence on artists that followed her. Although I do have an issue with Madonna sharing any kind of musical fame with The Beatles, I do recognize her place in musical history.

Without Madonna, we would have no Brittney, Christina, Jessica, Lady Gaga, etc. And really, the music world would be a much sadder place without them. (OK - I was just being a cynical b*stard with that.)