Mount Rushmore for RnR (dream big)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Mount Rushmore for RnR (dream big)

What four singer-songwriters would you put in a design for a RnR Mount Rushmore?

Note: Singer-songwriters are musicians who write, compose and sing their own musical material including lyrics and melodies.

Is the selection really obvious?  
    Weigh in.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Mount Rushmore for RnR (dream big)

Lennon; McCartney; Dylan; Ray Davies & Pete Townsend

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Deep Purple has already done this with the 'In Rock' LP.
    But not with singer/songwriters, with the whole band.

Bob Dylan
    Jackson Browne
    Neil Young
    Stephen Stills

I stuck with North Americans as Mount Rushmore is in the U.S.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Yikes, 4 might not be enough, because I think Paul Simon should be there.  Maybe one mountain in the U.K. and one in N.A.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

jessey already added an extra head, I think you can stretch the rules, if he can.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Mount Rushmore for RnR (dream big):
    jessey already added an extra head, I think you can stretch the rules, if he can.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

No comment from me, but it's okay coming from you.

New Yorkers.  Always have to lord it over the rest of us.  I don't take it seriously.

Yeah, fine with me, list as many as you want, and they don't have to be Americans, either.  
    Laughing

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Strictly singer-songwriters - people who can do it just as well alone as with their 'bands' with little loss of style, quality or personality...

My top 5:

Bob Dylan
    Neil Young
    Elvis Costello
    David Bowie
    Joni Mitchell

P.S.  I think Lennon/McCartney is a fair pick, if only because so much of their best work is inextricably related in spite of their later divergence stylistically.  I would say the same for Jagger/Richards.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Posted by ZILLAGOD

If it has to be one mountain I'm going to add one more extra head.  I'd put the five that jessey listed plus Paul Simon...I'd be quite happy with that. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Neil Young
    Joni Mitchell
    Paul Simon
    Bob Dylan

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

OK - I have no problem with Paul losing his head. Afterall, he blew his mind out in a car.

This would be a big mountain because if Neil is there, then I cannot see how Bowie wouldn't be either.

So I will break it into 2 mountains:

UK/Europe: Lennon; Davies; Townsend; Bowie

USA/North America: Dylan; Brian Wilson; Paul Simon; Young

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I was so close to using Joni Mitchell instead of Stephen Stills. But, poor old Steve always gets overlooked in these 'best of' things.

When you take into account the songs Stills has written, sung and played in Buffalo Springfield, CSN , Manassas and as a solo artist it just had to be him.

If I had to name a British Mount Rushmore, I'd go with Lennon, Ian Hunter, Al Stewart and Clapton.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Lennon, McCartney (can't have one without the other), Dylan, Springsteen.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

There's a lot of repetition of the some of the artists, so just to be a little different, here's a few that might deserve some recognition....Prince, Robert Smith, Chris Martin and Bruce Springsteen.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Stephen Stills?

Seriously?

Granted, the guy had his moments . . .  but if anybody ever needed to be reminded that the war was over and he was never really in it, this is the guy.

Ellen DeGeneres used to tell this fabulous joke about music, in general, and pretension, in particular. It was all about Peter, Paul and Mary, and If I had a Hammer.

Sure . . .  in theory, if you had a hammer, you'd hammer out injustice . . .  and you'd hammer out a warning . . .  and you hammer out love and brotherhood and whatever else they sang about . . .  all over this land.

But the simple fact of the matter is that when you actually get a hammer . . .  it turns out that you don't have anywhere near as much hammering to do as you thought you might.

I apologize for taking my time to explain who shouldn't be on the mountain.

Maybe I'll come back later and throw up a bunch of names like Warren Zevon and Steve Van Zandt (although Stevie's gonna have a hard time fulfilling the "singer" part), so y'all can make fun of what I said.

Cool

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Stephen Stills? Seriously? Granted, the guy had his moments . . .  but if anybody ever needed to be reminded that the war was over and he was never really in it, this is the guy. Ellen DeGeneres used to tell this fabulous joke about music, in general, and pretension, in particular. It was all about Peter, Paul and Mary, and If I had a Hammer . Sure . . .  in theory, if you had a hammer, you'd hammer out injustice . . .  and you'd hammer out a warning . . .  and you hammer out love and brotherhood and whatever else they sang about . . .  all over this land. But the simple fact of the matter is that when you actually get a hammer . . .  it turns out that you don't have anywhere near as much hammering to do as you thought you might. I apologize for taking my time to explain who shouldn't be on the mountain. Maybe I'll come back later and throw up a bunch of names like Warren Zevon and Steve Van Zandt (although Stevie's gonna have a hard time fulfilling the "singer" part), so y'all can make fun of what I said.
    Posted by p-mike

wow, here I thought there were no wrong answers............

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: Mount Rushmore for RnR (dream big) : wow, here I thought there were no wrong answers............
    Posted by chazz508

For more information about "wrong" answers, please refer to  your previous post.

I might or might not put Stills below three out of four of the hacks you listed, but my point was that Stills is looked upon as an icon for reasons that don't hold up (in my opinion).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

No Brits on Mount Rushmore

Bruce
    Neil Young
    Kurt Cobain
    John Fogerty

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

We must be behind Mt. Rushmore

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

In Response to Re: Mount Rushmore for RnR (dream big) : For more information about "wrong" answers, please refer to  your previous post. I might or might not put Stills below three out of four of the hacks you listed, but my point was that Stills is looked upon as an icon for reasons that don't hold up (in my opinion).
    Posted by p-mike

Gee p-mike, your posts seem to always be condescending and nasty.  Having no idea as to what is happening in your life that is causing you to be so uptight, may I suggest you head down to your local ATM and get yourself, I don't know $40.  Then go to the seedy area of the local city around where you live and look for a "professional woman" (or man, that's up to you; I don't judge).  You could have them do all those things that aren't happening in your life, which seems to be making you wound up so tightly.  You would not only be improving your outlook on life, you would be doing your part to jump start the ailing economy. 

We're talking win win.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

toughest omission = Stevie Wonder

In fact, Joni might have to go in favor of Stevie on my top 5...although getting rid of Elvis would be tougher (I just finally got to his latest, National Ransom, and it's great as usual.)....

And ya @ p-mike...take a pill or something...chazz did NOT deserve that....

More honorable mentions: Prince, Bruce, Tom Petty, Paul Weller, David Byrne

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Bob Dylan
    John Lennon
    Paul McCartney
    Paul Simon
    Pete Townshend * if able to add a fifth

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Stephen Stills? Seriously? Granted, the guy had his moments . . .  but if anybody ever needed to be reminded that the war was over and he was never really in it, this is the guy. Ellen DeGeneres used to tell this fabulous joke about music, in general, and pretension, in particular. It was all about Peter, Paul and Mary, and If I had a Hammer . Sure . . .  in theory, if you had a hammer, you'd hammer out injustice . . .  and you'd hammer out a warning . . .  and you hammer out love and brotherhood and whatever else they sang about . . .  all over this land. But the simple fact of the matter is that when you actually get a hammer . . .  it turns out that you don't have anywhere near as much hammering to do as you thought you might. I apologize for taking my time to explain who shouldn't be on the mountain. Maybe I'll come back later and throw up a bunch of names like Warren Zevon and Steve Van Zandt (although Stevie's gonna have a hard time fulfilling the "singer" part), so y'all can make fun of what I said.
    Posted by p-mike

I still like Stephen Stills alot.

I think his solo career suffered from lack of exposure, not lack of talent. The Manassas LP's are overlooked by many people. There's some wicked good music on these LP's. The Bloomfield, Kooper, Stills 'Super Session' is one of my all time favorites.

But, I have to agree that Warren Zevon is tremendous and I should have thought of him first. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

I’m going with Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis and Buddy Holly.  Please note I left off Elvis. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

In Response to Re: Mount Rushmore for RnR (dream big) : I still like Stephen Stills alot. I think his solo career suffered from lack of exposure, not lack of talent. The Manassas LP's are overlooked by many people. There's some wicked good music on these LP's. The Bloomfield, Kooper, Stills 'Super Session' is one of my all time favorites. But, I have to agree that Warren Zevon is tremendous and I should have thought of him first. 
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

I have that on vinyl.  Isn't Stills only on one side?

Sections
Shortcuts