Movie thread for the music forum

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Movie thread for the music forum

I'd like to have a movie thread for the music forum because I'd like to talk about movies with the people here.  Pretty simple.

The first thing I wanted to mention was that I finally got to see the movie Secretary recently.  I watched it with my wife.  It was an uncomfortable experience at times.  But this is the kind of movie I really admire.  I've always been a fan of quirky, surprising movies, including some of the ones that get filed in the 'cult classic' section.  James Spader and Maggie Gyllenhaal are so good in this movie.  Gyllenhaal is especially impressive with her bravery.  I also saw her in another one of my favorite cultish movies, Donnie Darko.  The star of Donnie Darko was her brother Jake.  He was phenomenal in that role.  For me I don't think he'll ever be able to do anything else that compares to it.  One of those roles that's just made for an actor.

Some other cultish movies I've enjoyed recently were Big Fan with Patton Oswalt, and Extract with Jason Bateman.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Re: Movie thread for the music forum

Recent "hidden gem" of a movie, a throw back to the '70's in terms of style and an '80's style soundtrack (think To Live and Die In LA)....I found the movie "Drive" to be a refreshing look at a crime story here in 2012.  Very well done, with GREAT acting by an all star cast - Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Ron Perlman and a "great" psycho turn by Albert Brooks!

If you're into movies involving crime - a must see!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

This movie I found on Netflix a few years back called The Man from Earth (2007) is a hidden gem. It was written by Jerome Bixby of Star Trek and The Twilight Zone fame. It had a small budget, no special effects, just a handful of characters but a great story. It kept me engrossed throughout.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Movie thread for the music forum:
    [QUOTE]Recent "hidden gem" of a movie, a throw back to the '70's in terms of style and an '80's style soundtrack (think To Live and Die In LA)....I found the movie "Drive" to be a refreshing look at a crime story here in 2012.  Very well done, with GREAT acting by an all star cast - Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Ron Perlman and a "great" psycho turn by Albert Brooks! If you're into movies involving crime - a must see!
    Posted by RogerTaylor[/QUOTE]

To Live and Die in LA is underrated, a borderline classic in my opinion.  Very cold and violent but mesmerizing.  William Petersen and Willem Dafoe were superb. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Albert Brooks as a psycho, huh?  I might have to check that out.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I'm a Stanley Kubrick fanatic, I'll get that out there right now.  Especially from Lolita to A Clockwork Orange.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

The wife and I saw "Moonrise Kingdom" the other night ... an actual night out at the theater. Really cool and quirky movie. Bill Murray, Ed Norton, the always awesome Francis McDormand (speaking of which, "Fargo" rules), and the two kids do a nice job.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]The wife and I saw "Moonrise Kingdom" the other night ... an actual night out at the theater. Really cool and quirky movie. Bill Murray, Ed Norton, the always awesome Francis McDormand (speaking of which, "Fargo" rules), and the two kids do a nice job.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

That sounds very interesting-love the cast.

I think I'm going to compile a nice little list of movies to watch from the comments here.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Lloyd mentioned Fargo.  Any Coen Brothers aficianados please check in.  I have seen most of their movies and enjoyed most of them.  Recently watched Intolerable Cruelty with the wife and I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was-very lighthearted for these guys.  (The fact that Catherine Zeta Jones was so stunningly beautiful in it didn't hurt.)

One of their movies I had big issues with was No Country For Old Men.  Some things about that movie really disappointed me.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I really wanted to see Moonrise Kingdom,but missed it at the theaters.Some of the other movies mentioned sound really interesting too.
       When I go to the movies,I tend hit the bigger movies that have recently been released.I saw the remake of "Total Recall" last week and plan on seeing "The Campaign" today.
       One lesser known movie I'm looking forward to seeing is "Searching for Sugar Man".It's the true story of Sixto Rodriguez,a singer who became the voice for the Anti-Aparthied movement without knowing it.
      It's been winning awards at the Sundance film festival along with others.
        I started a thread about him a couple of months ago and I'll be seeing him in concert next month at the Iron Horse in Northampton.
      If you missed it,here's a great article about him and his story: 

Here's some reviews and trailers to "Searching for Sugar Man"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

"The Prestige" - a more harrowing film you will not find.   I can't even begin to describe the suspense in this film, which takes place at the turn of the century, and will remove you from reality and put you right in that setting.  Obsessive, sadistic, and dark.  It takes place during the era when magic was a form of live entertainment, and is based on that art form and the rivalry between two illusionists.  

While a small part/cameo, David Bowie is in the movie (I know you all will appreciate that) and he plays one of my favorite people in the world of science, Tesla.  Freakish.   Also, Michael Caine is at his elegant, complex best.  

The "prestige" is the third part of a magic trick; there are three parts.  If you want a very nice laid out explanation and a review, this one is nice:

Quick summary for you (there are countless places you can check if you want more of a summary -- some of them reveal more than others in terms of the content of the film):

Obsession, jealousy, and deceit define the tense relationship shared between two turn-of-the-century magicians in Memento and Batman Begins director Christopher Nolan's dizzying tale of sleight of hand. Rupert Angier (Hugh Jackman) and Alfred Borden (Christian Bale) are London-based magicians of the highest order, both blessed with spectacular powers of deception and both cursed with unrelenting envy for one another's skills. When Alfred performs an awe-inspiring trick for which there seems no logical explanation, the friendly competition shared between the pair turns to deadly rivalry as the enraged Rupert determines to uncover his rival's deepest secrets. In the world of illusion, however, nothing is ever quite as it seems, and the rules of the physical world simply don't apply. Now, as bitter competition quickly begins to consume the souls of both performers, the firestorm birthed by their anger threatens to consume all who surround them. Michael Caine, Scarlett Johansson, and David Bowie co-star in a feature that finds director/screenwriter Nolan reuniting with brother and Memento story author Jonathan Nolan to adapt author Christopher Priest's original novel.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Movie thread for the music forum : To Live and Die in LA is underrated, a borderline   classic in my opinion.  Very cold and violent but mesmerizing.  William Petersen and Willem Dafoe were superb.  
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

I love "To Live And Die In L.A."

I have watched it many times. I love the opening , especially the title song by Wang Chung. The sountrack is my favorite soundtrack album ( all songs by Wang Chung).

I also like Stanley Kubrick films, and many people do not like 2001:A Space Odyssey...but I love it because it is one of the rare Science Fiction movies that is not action driven....it stimulates thought.

I tend to gravitate towards movies with my favorite actors in them....Roy Scheider,  Gene Hackman, Clint Eastwood, Charles Bronson, Arnold Schwarzzenegger, Harrison Ford, Robert Duvall and Dustin Hoffman. These are people who in my mind always make a film better just because they are great.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Christopher Nolan was also the director of Memento.  A movie about a man whose wife has been killed and whose memory only lasts a few minutes before going blank again.  And oh yes, the scenes in the movie are in reverse from the present to the past.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

[QUOTE]Albert Brooks as a psycho, huh?  I might have to check that out.

Yah, I wont ruin it for you but well worth the rental fee.

If you recall Wang Chung and Tangerine Dream did the music for TLADILA....listen to the music in Drive...very well done and almost becomes a character in the story

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Movie thread for the music forum : I love "To Live And Die In L.A." I have watched it many times. I love the opening , especially the title song by Wang Chung. The sountrack is my favorite soundtrack album ( all songs by Wang Chung). I also like Stanley Kubrick films, and many people do not like 2001:A Space Odyssey...but I love it because it is one of the rare Science Fiction movies that is not action driven....it stimulates thought. I tend to gravitate towards movies with my favorite actors in them....Roy Scheider,  Gene Hackman, Clint Eastwood, Charles Bronson, Arnold Schwarzzenegger, Harrison Ford, Robert Duvall and Dustin Hoffman. These are people who in my mind always make a film better just because they are great.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

I could of swarn Tangerine Dream did the music too Zilla.....no?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

[QUOTE]Christopher Nolan was also the director of Memento.  A movie about a man whose wife has been killed and whose memory only lasts a few minutes before going blank again.  And oh yes, the scenes in the movie are in reverse from the present to the past.

You can catch "Momento" for free on crackle.com

There are other sites like crackle that offer "free" un cut movies.  I run an HDMI cable out from my laptop into my plasma TV.....they DO have commercials!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

[QUOTE]Lloyd mentioned Fargo.  Any Coen Brothers aficianados please check in.  I have seen most of their movies and enjoyed most of them.  Recently watched Intolerable Cruelty with the wife   and I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was-very lighthearted for these guys.  (The fact that Catherine Zeta Jones was so stunningly beautiful in it didn't hurt.) One of their movies I had big issues with was No Country For Old Men .  Some things about that movie really disappointed me.

Gotta see "Millers Crossing" - all Coen brothers movies are must sees - IMHO

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Wow! check this out RE Drive and Wang Chung!

http://goldenageofmusicvideo.com/?p=773

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]I also like Stanley Kubrick films, and many people do not like 2001:A Space Odyssey...but I love it because it is one of the rare Science Fiction movies that is not action driven....it stimulates thought.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Kubrick is my favorite director and 2001 is my favorite film.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Movie thread for the music forum : Gotta see "Millers Crossing" - all Coen brothers movies are must sees - IMHO
    Posted by RogerTaylor[/QUOTE]

I liked Miller's Crossing.  I think there are maybe only two Coen Brothers movies I haven't seen.  I think Fargo is their best drama.  I thought their debut, Blood Simple was in the cult classic category.  Raising Arizona was a fun movie.  

Some people consider No Country for Old Men a great film.  I disagree.  I thought the first two-thirds of the movie were excellent, but the last third irritated the heck out of me.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

A few other favorites, in no particular order:

The Thing - directed by John Carpenter
    The Seven Ups
    The Killer Elite - directed by Sam Pekinpah
    Bullit
    the Cross of Iron - directed by Sam Pekinpah
    As Good As it Gets - my favorite
    Atonement - great story & ending
    Dawn of the Dead - directed by George A Romero
    Dirty Harry, Magnum Force and The Enforcer, Unforgiven
    Yes Man
    The Hurt Locker
    Black Hawk Down
    Mullholland Dr & Blue Velvet - directed by David Lynch
    Stand By Me
    Eastern Promises
    Munich
    Catfish - great reality story/documentary with a GREAT twist
    Hostel
    Stepbrothers
    and
    The Human Centipede

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Bullitt is a classic. Steve McQueen at his ultracool best.

Mullholland Drive...now that was one bizarre movie.  A great and twisted performance by Naomi Watts.   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

One of my favorite movies is Witness with Harrison Ford and Kelly McGillis.  I think that was a movie that had everything, and everything just worked perfectly.  My wife loves it as much as I do so that's nice too.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

I watched LA Confidential for the first time the other night. I had read the Elroy books/trilogy, but just never got around to seeing the movie.  Great film noir, in the style of the old Hollywood classics like The Stranger, Touch of Evil, Maltese Falcon, Chinatown etc... It's a complex detective story, which I like, with a lot of twists and turns, and a surprise ending. Rita Hayworth, Veronica Lake or any of the classic Hollywood beauties of the 40's -50's have nothing on Kim Bassinger here..  Great acting from all especially Crowe, Pearce and Cromwell. I really like movies that make me think, and this one held my attention for 3 hrs. This may actually be one of the better films I've seeen in a while.