Multi talented artists.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Multi talented artists.

One of My favorite and most liked artists is Adam Dutkiewicz Or for short Adam D. He is the current guitarist for the Massachussetts Based Metalcore band Killswitch engage and recently he put out an album(Under the band name "Times of Grace") that he almost exclusively wrote, produced,  played drums, guitar, bass, and appeared on vocals in some of the songs. On the other songs he had some Help from His current Killswitch Band Mate and vocalist Jesse Leach( a Rhode island Native).

Can you guys name some of your liked artists that have contributed to songs or an album in more than one way? It doesnt Have to be in the Metal Genre it can be anyone that plays more than One Instrument or contributed to an albums production.  I look forward to all of your responses! 

And in case you guys are more intrested in Adam D or Jesse Leach i will leave links for some of their work with Killswitch Engage and other bands. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wpMZA3nC7A- My favorite songs from this album are #4, #5, #6, #9, and #12 but frankly the whole album is fantastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuQDpXV45xM-This is some Of Jesse Leach's work from before he rejoined Killswitch Engage. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6rTfcjSTJU&list=PLQi-CA-FL4tkxjUbW8f75AW2XCr235bNl- Killswitch Engage's second album, The last KSE album before Jesse Left and then later returned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo7hrDJbY6E-KSE Sixth studio album with Newly returned singer Jesse Leach. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnZJXadS-pg- Some of KSE work with singer Howard Jones ( Jones appears on KSE 3rd, 4th, and 5th studio album) along with Adam D still on lead guitar.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Re: Multi talented artists.

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

Trent Reznor is the first musician to come to mind, seeing as he is mostly responsible for NIN albums, then hires a band for the road.

If it's just "more than one thing on an album" it's a little too easy, because then I have to point to people like SRV and Joe Bonamassa who do two (but generally no more than two) things: Singing and playing.

Singing and playing definitly qualifies as being "Multi talented" as Singing and playing Guitar at the same takes quite alot of talent. Another of my favorite artist who could be designated under the term of being "Multi talented" would be Alexi Laiho, guitarist and singer for the band Children of Bodom.  He was Named #96 out of 100 greatest heavy metal guitarists of all time by guitar world. In addidtion Guitar world ranked him as one of the 50 fastest guitar players in the world. So yea, He's pretty bad a55. Lol 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Paul McCartney first solo album after he left the Beatles was called (oddly enough) McCartney.He played every instrument on the whole album as well as doing the singing and writing.His wife Linda did some harmony and backing vocals,but the rest was him.

One of my newer favorite multi-talented artists is Dave Grohl.Besides playing guitar and drumming,he also excels at singing and writing.That'sjust one really talented dude  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Stevie Wonder and Prince come to mind immediately as multi-instrumentalists, songwriters, bandleaders.

Ditto Todd Rundgren, who knows his way around both studio and board quite well.

Grohl played every instrument on the first FF LP, as did Lenny Kravitz on his first two or three albums.

Steven Drozd of the Flaming Lips plays multiple instruments...started as their drummer and now plays guitar and keys also (plus effects).

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Tommy Lee after leaving The Crue and creating Methods of Mayhem (Rap Metal). He played drums, guitar, piano, DJ'd electronics into the music & sang lead vocals. He also assisted in the engineering and production of the music.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Alison Krauss, singer, songwriter, virtuoso violinist, & pianist; popularized blue grass to the masses, crossed to country, and Americana and is popular among music lovers who don't identify with any of Krauss' original roots in music.  (like me, for example).   We know it when we hear it.  FWIW, Krauss has won the most  grammy awards of any female in the history of the award, by a landslide record number of 27 (Aretha Franklin is #2 with 18). 

Alicia Keys (I'm a more recent fan), singer, songwriter, pianist, writer - one of her main inspirations and idols is Stevie Wonder.  She plays the he11 out of a piano.  She was the only female to perform for the 12-12-12 concert for Hurricane Sandy Relief; many discovered Keys' range of talent from that concert, she was such a standout. 

Also, David Bowie.  Right?  (but I'm not the resident expert on him)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

The late, great Captain Beefheart was a composer, harmonica and sax player, as well as a poet and a painter. My favorite eccentric bluesman.

Clear Spot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqYfmfEqi20

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Jimmy Page

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

John Paul Jones

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:

John Paul Jones

+1

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Dave Grohl was the drummer for Nirvanna and then guitar for Foo Fighters. Not too shabby... Also Matt Johnson of The The played every instrument on the first album Soul Mining..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lefig. Show lefig's posts

Stevie Wonder, played most if not all of the instruments on his earlier albums like Innervisions. I remember reading the liner notes and then thinking that he is blind as well. Amazing

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

In response to devildavid's comment:

The late, great Captain Beefheart was a composer, harmonica and sax player, as well as a poet and a painter. My favorite eccentric bluesman.

Clear Spot

Which takes us right to this guy:

Who is that???? Frank Zappa?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Another of My favorite Singers/Guitarists/Song writer is Mikael Akerfeldt From the Swedish proggressive Metal band Opeth. And of course i would feel bad if i left out Dave Mustaine, Singer/songwriter/guitarist for megadeth.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

In response to devildavid's comment:

Clear Spot

Which takes us right to this guy:

Who is that???? Frank Zappa?

That's exactly who that is.Here's a great song/video from him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jia_GRK1Og4

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Robert James Ritchie aka "Kid Rock". Dude went around and played every instrument during each show when I saw him live a couple times. Very talented musician/songwriter.

Salvatore "Sully" Erna, lead singer of Godsmack from Methuen, MA, also plays drums/percussion and guitar. He recorded the drums on their first CD before Shannon Larkin was brought in the band. The two do a drum duel appropriately called "Batalla de los Tambores" or battle of the drums...check it out. Its pretty awesome.

http://youtu.be/MTXv8xPBGww

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Freddie, Brian, Roger and John - ALL played piano/keyboards, ALL played guitar - that's Freddie on acoustic guitar on "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" (Roger, John & Brian - bass guitar too) ALL individuals wrote/composed number one hit singles, ALL had solo albums, Freddie, Roger and Brian sang lead or back up vocals (John didn't sing)...quite a talent pool!

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to leafswin27's comment:

Also Matt Johnson of The The played every instrument on the first album Soul Mining..

Ditto.

Such an singular, overlooked artist...his stuff just never gets old for me.  (which is good given the dearth of recent material)

I cherish a promo EP I have from Sony which has the band playing live right on the cusp of the release of Dusk.  To date, it's the only live The The release I've seen.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to leafswin27's comment:

Dave Grohl was the drummer for Nirvanna and then guitar for Foo Fighters. Not too shabby... Also Matt Johnson of The The played every instrument on the first album Soul Mining..

Was going to mention Matt Johnson.  He had an amazing run of brilliance for 4/5 years.  

Re Macca, I don't even think he plays the bass particularly well never mind every other instrument.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

While I don't consider the Oblivians to be elite musicians, I absolutely love the fact that they alternate instruments and lead vocals on stage.

Here's one of their better-known songs, written by Greg, if anyone's interested:  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufgfrhsyg5I

I'd guess I've been told at least 5 times by members of the Great Unwashed that "that band didn't write that song, X did".  

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts