Music and debate: Should the show go on?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Music and debate: Should the show go on?

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars's comment:

Wow, I think this is the most interesting thread I've ever seen, anywhere.  Seriously.  So many ideas floating about.....

Have started and stopped several times.....will start with contradicting jesse, whom I like and respect a lot.  How the fekk does the sad misogyny of 80s hair bands justify Rap's excesses?  Bundles of sticks?  Female canines?  Long-handled tools to till ground?  

Rubbish....cruel, ignorant, abusive trash.

I am not saying that the two are exactly the same - it was more of a leading response to draw someone's opinion out a bit more in depth.

A point had been made by someone that Rap was degrading to women. And in that comment, I felt that the intent really had more to do with outside the concept of the lyrics and was a veiled attempt to hide the true nature of the forum members feelings. I just used the 80's scene as an example of lyrics which in some cases were no less graphic than rap lyrics to show that the musical content conversation and ones personal feelings about a group (Hip-Hoppers) should not be confused.

Remember, this is all speculation on my point as I do not know anyone here personally. I may have been completely off base.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

When it comes to dirty and degrading lyrics, the great Frank Zappa makes rappers look like Mother Goose.

Lighten up Francis

Ah yes, but Frank did dirty and degrading in the name of funny and satirical.  As Spinal Tap teaches us, it's that fine line between clever and stupid.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

When it comes to dirty and degrading lyrics, the great Frank Zappa makes rappers look like Mother Goose.

Lighten up Francis

Ah yes, but Frank did dirty and degrading in the name of funny and satirical.  As Spinal Tap teaches us, it's that fine line between clever and stupid.

What about the people who don't know the difference?   What about the people who don't see the satire?    Tough for them.   

Part of the issue is that it's not (always) easy to detect where the artist is really coming from.   I can't count the times "humor" goes right over my head.  

There's truth in satire.  That's why at times, people are a bit sheepish about laughing at it.   

"Dying is easy.   Comedy is hard."   Edmund Kean

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

In response to yogafriend's comment:

It's an old adage, but "you can't judge a book by its cover" seems to be the best way to characterize what happened: the students who booked Tyga thought he was just another rapper,  one they could afford with the funds they were given.  

I've always loved St. Bo and I think in the end he'll have become my favourite musician.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-bnM29vzEk

I thought of Bo too when I saw the bolded line above. Bo Diddley seems to get overlooked somewhat for his vital contribution to rock music, which is still being felt today. Chuck Berry gets more attention, but that's ok, since he helped shape rock and roll guitar playing. But the importance of the great Bo Diddley can't be overstated.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Lighten up Francis

What about the people who don't know the difference?   What about the people who don't see the satire?    Tough for them.   

Part of the issue is that it's not (always) easy to detect where the artist is really coming from.   I can't count the times "humor" goes right over my head.  

I think it was Ruscha who said: 

"Art has to be something that makes you scratch your head."  

(WinkAm I being a brat now?) 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

It's an old adage, but "you can't judge a book by its cover" seems to be the best way to characterize what happened: the students who booked Tyga thought he was just another rapper,  one they could afford with the funds they were given.  

I've always loved St. Bo and I think in the end he'll have become my favourite musician.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-bnM29vzEk

I thought of Bo too when I saw the bolded line above. Bo Diddley seems to get overlooked somewhat for his vital contribution to rock music, which is still being felt today. Chuck Berry gets more attention, but that's ok, since he helped shape rock and roll guitar playing. But the importance of the great Bo Diddley can't be overstated.

Didn't have a chance to go back over the weekend, but just did ... GOOD song.   Never heard of it.   

The chick who is playing the guitar is hot, too.   Buff arms.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I think it was Ruscha who said: 

"Art has to be something that makes you scratch your head."  

(WinkAm I being a brat now?) 

Ha Ha  --- GOOD one.   (I'm howling)  Laughing   

I do think, however, Kean's quote as it pertains to the nuance of comedy, and how difficult it really is, fits in with this.   Good comedy, and exquisite satire, are very under-appreciated.    And not always easily detected.   :)  

I'm amused by the way the various facets of "art" from our recent discussions / threads weave together. Nice going.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Lighten up Francis

Hf, I'd like to Tap into America with another Spinal Tap quote:  "there's too much feching perspective now".  ;-)

On a serious note, the Stranglers had a song in the '70s called "I Feel Like A W0g".  If that passes the censors, "W0g" was/is (lesser but sadly still) a pejorative word for people decended from the Indian sub-continent (including India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, etc).  It is nearly the exact equivalent of n1g.  And since the day it was released (30+ years ago) they have regretted it because they meant it as a satire...but too many people are too stoooopid to understand that.  So decent people like the band are a bit annoyed/embarrassed that idiots exist that think they are bigots.....and horrified that in a real way they inadvertantly encouraged racism.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

I could Bore for Boston about Bo Diddley for hours.  Brilliant git player, hugely styish and cool, not a prolific composer but lots of great songs Johnny from Burger King doesn't even know he wrote....had {gasp} women instrumentalists in his band, defied Wonder (Bre)Ed Sullivan knowing it would damage his career.

Huge influence.

....was just going to look for a cool Bo video of "Who Do You Love" to post from YouTube.....no point, search yourself and see how many bands from all genres have covered it.  I stopped at JAMC....I did not know that!

Sections
Shortcuts